General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

JDIGGS82,

Yes, it's essentially a leak-down test. It's been tested every other way at 2000 psi, so let's let it sit for the weekend, and see if I have to search for other leaks.

And I don't see anything wrong with your MIG uphand pics. I could nit-pick it, sure, but why? you've got this, and all you need is more hood time to make it "shiny".

Steve S
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Well haven't had much to post lately, but will be starting a project soon and can't contain myself lol. Tomorrow I'm going to be picking up an 81 Honda nighthawk 750. I know not the coolest, but... It will be getting hard tailed and a springer built from scratch along with a bunch of other goodies. Why you ask? Well my 5 year old loves motorcycles, I've been itching for a project so what better way to spend a few hours a week until its done? I am itching with excitement to start and do some fabricating with him, and he can't wait to put flames on it lol. That was his first request, he needs to be allowed to paint it with flames. Sounds great to me. Of course a long slow build thread will eventually follow.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Hey, no offence by my critique, just suggestions. You are doing great. Sometimes I don't know when to shut up and let you just practice. Draw back to that is I know for some this doesn't work. I have a guy that you practically have hold his hand to get him to learn anything. Again no offence.
-Jonathan
JDIGGS82
    Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 pm

None taken at all don't worry about it :D
JDIGGS82

Thanks steve

Louisiana yard dog...

Got a good rain yesterday, and this snapping turtle was in my driveway when I came home from work...

Steve S
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I like that one alot !
Shelby.jpg
Shelby.jpg (5.48 KiB) Viewed 2377 times
Turtle soup tonight !
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I have been playing around with stick here lately just to get back in the swing of things. I've been using a passive helmet running 6013, 7018, and some7010 high penetration rods I got ahold of in all positions except overhead. I need to get more confidence before I light up overhead. I have ran vert up down, horizontal and flat. I've had a blast with them, it's fun just burning rods.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Be a hella good guard dog if the crims would wait for it to catch up to them.

Mick

Steve,
My son likes your "dog". We went over to a friends and gave him a hand and the whole way there he was talking about turtles. He even asked my friend if he had a pet turtle.
-Jonathan

Jonathan,

My grandson still talks about the day "pawpaw" caught the snake while we were fishing. It's refreshing to see what fascinates a young mind.

Steve S

JDIGGS82,
I ran a few beads with your settings today, you are good. Practice up and show us up :D
-Jonathan
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Jonathan,

My grandson still talks about the day "pawpaw" caught the snake while we were fishing. It's refreshing to see what fascinates a young mind.

Steve S
Use a little care around turtles. My cousin came upon a guy who had held a 14" one up to his face. Snappers are not all that timid, he came out, grabbed the guy's lip and ripped it mostly off. By the time his friends killed the turtle he wasn't pretty. The lip was hanging by one corner. I'm not sure if the doctors were able to fix it or not.

Bill Beauregard wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:Jonathan,

Steve S
Use a little care around turtles. My cousin came upon a guy who had held a 14" one up to his face. Snappers are not all that timid, he came out, grabbed the guy's lip and ripped it mostly off. By the time his friends killed the turtle he wasn't pretty. The lip was hanging by one corner. I'm not sure if the doctors were able to fix it or not.
Sage advise. As my son was looking at that picture I explained to him what snapping turtles are and what they do. When I was young, the neighbors caught snapping turtles and ate them. I will never forget them showing me how strong and long their bites were. To cut there heads off they would get them to bite something and pull there heads out. What really impressed me as a kid was they would take said heads and put something in front of their mouths and they would still bite down for quite a while.
-Jonathan
Bill Beauregard

As a kid my father and I had use of a remote walk in camp (cabin) on a remote lake. one of my favorite treats was frying Bullhead (Catfish to flatlanders) fresh killed and seeing these headless fish flipping in the pan.

Ate a lot of bullhead when I worked in IA. There was an abandoned quarry behind Freedom Rock (a huge boulder that a local artist repaints in a veteran's theme each year), with two separate pits. One was stocked will bullhead and panfish, the other with bass and lake trout. It was about 3 miles from the job, so I caught a lot of dinner there after work.

Steve S
Bill Beauregard

We had a car hood boat, made from the deep hoods of the forties, it had ribs inside of stamped sheet metal. They were hollow. The boat was hidden sunk. Arriving well after supper time, we'd use a stick to poke 6 or eight 8" fish out, voila supper.
Trout were the game fish, bullhead were the staple we often lived on. No refrigeration,we had a potash kettle with a pipe driven in a crack in a ledge. Very cold water ran splashing into the kettle. Bullhead would live long term in it, a quick source of fish for a meal.
JDIGGS82

You get any pics johnathan?

JDIGGS82 wrote:You get any pics johnathan?
Here you go. I used your exact settings on both 1/8" and 3/8" plate. These settings are obviously to cold for the 3/8" at least on the first pass but you can see a cover did quite well. I did several quick passes just so you can see different techniques. The 1/8" plate I did a little circle of sorts as the technique. Hope this helps, if nothing else how not to do it :lol:
-Jonathan
Attachments
vert up 1.JPG
vert up 1.JPG (140.24 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
vert up 4.JPG
vert up 4.JPG (122.58 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
vert up 6.JPG
vert up 6.JPG (129.72 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
JDIGGS82

Damn I got my work cut out to catch up with you what was your gun angle?

I would say around 110-115 degrees or slightly pointed up, depending on which way you are looking at it.
-Jonathan

I am re-qualifying for AWS D1.1 in 1G. One pic is my practice and the other the final I will send in for testing. Specs; ER70S-6 .045, 26-26.5 volts, 280-300 ipm and 240-260 amps. Burning!!

Now I am working on ASME 9 on 6" sch 80. Need a little help on the root pass. I am having trouble with the bottom half. I have tried both short arc and pulse using .035 wire and am not getting the reinforcement I need. The top has been ok. Any pointers out there from anyone? Sorry not pics on this one, really am to embarrassed. :oops: Actually didn't think to snap any.

Oh and next is 2" sch 80 TIG :D What fun!!
-Jonathan
Attachments
D1.1 practice.JPG
D1.1 practice.JPG (155.04 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
D1.1 final.JPG
D1.1 final.JPG (152.88 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
Mongol
    Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:I am re-qualifying for AWS D1.1 in 1G. One pic is my practice and the other the final I will send in for testing. Specs; ER70S-6 .045, 26-26.5 volts, 280-300 ipm and 240-260 amps. Burning!!

Now I am working on ASME 9 on 6" sch 80. Need a little help on the root pass. I am having trouble with the bottom half. I have tried both short arc and pulse using .035 wire and am not getting the reinforcement I need. The top has been ok. Any pointers out there from anyone? Sorry not pics on this one, really am to embarrassed. :oops: Actually didn't think to snap any.

Oh and next is 2" sch 80 TIG :D What fun!!
-Jonathan
Take this for what it's worth, but once upon a time I took a weld test that was open root 3/8" plate at a 45 degree angel. The root was GMAW-S downhill with uphill fill and cap FCAW-G. Practicing before hand I had my best results with an 1/8" gap with about a 3/32 face and running aroung 19.5v and 190-200 ipm. Had good reinforcement that wasn't excessive.

Mongol,
Thanks, I appreciate that! I have been running 1/8" gap and 1/16" land. Will try your specs tomorrow.
-Jonathan
JDIGGS82

Today's shot think I'm starting to give you a run
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (77.98 KiB) Viewed 2521 times