General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Has anybody else had one of those days where you can't do a good bead to save your life or cut anything square or dip your tungsten all day and everything you touch falls apart in your hands? The universe was not my friend today :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Yes!! :lol:
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

For me it's more a matter of not knowing how to weld in the first place!

Also, yesterday I reckon I forgot about 10 times to re-attach my earth as I moved the workpiece about. Bzzt. Psshh. Sigh.

Kym
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Some days are just a struggle for no good or obvious reasons. Unless you take into account the moon phases.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
exnailpounder

MosquitoMoto wrote:For me it's more a matter of not knowing how to weld in the first place!

Also, yesterday I reckon I forgot about 10 times to re-attach my earth as I moved the workpiece about. Bzzt. Psshh. Sigh.

Kym
My hi-frequency always reminds me when I forget to ground. It's more startling than painful but it still pisses me off.
Jim FLinchbaugh
    Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:56 pm

Well there must be more than one monkey, becasue he was on my ass all day long as well!
mcostello
    Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 am

Only almost every time I fire the box up.
John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

I quit counting the bad days and now count the good days. It's easier because there's less of them. I've always had a 3 mistake rule. 1 mistake was a whoops. 2 mistakes and something needs to change. 3rd mistake and I quit for the day. Now I quit at 2.
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

I now know why my level of paranoid feelings have gone off the chart, you're all bloody well watching me stuff up.
You've mentioned it ALL.
Main issue is that my welding is marginal at best and then I may not need to weld anything for weeks or months.
Back to step one every time for the first couple of practice welds, then achieve mediocrity till next time.
I know more seat time, but this is a hobby, not a living, if it was a living, I'd be skinny......
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

ex framie wrote:I now know why my level of paranoid feelings have gone off the chart, you're all bloody well watching me stuff up.
You've mentioned it ALL.
Main issue is that my welding is marginal at best and then I may not need to weld anything for weeks or months.
Back to step one every time for the first couple of practice welds, then achieve mediocrity till next time.
I know more seat time, but this is a hobby, not a living, if it was a living, I'd be skinny......
Framie -

Everyone's talking about your paranoia.

Kym
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Among other things, I sometimes forget that I'm stick welding and think I'm migging. Then wonder why my arc length gets super long as my hands are braced on the bench instead of traveling in with the rod.
exnailpounder

MosquitoMoto wrote:
ex framie wrote:I now know why my level of paranoid feelings have gone off the chart, you're all bloody well watching me stuff up.
You've mentioned it ALL.
Framie -

Everyone's talking about your paranoia.

Kym
Or not :lol:
exnailpounder

I bought a piece of what I thought was stainless from my metal supplier. They sell metal drops for small projects and being that it was on the SS table, I just assumed it was SS. I cut it and formed it into a ring for a sleeve for a tube STILL not realizing it wasn't SS and even went as far as to weld it. It was 16ga. material so I set up the tig with a 1/16" gas lens and lit up on it and it would weld but the weld would snap as soon as it cooled. Turns out the piece was aluminum. :oops: I am either getting old or drinking too much or a combination of the 2. True story...don't tell anyone :lol:
billdacat
    Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:22 pm

I bought a bunch of 2.5" flat cold rolled steel of various thickness. Cut it up into 4.5" length's. Anytime I forget to weld or need to try something out, I can grab a couple of pieces and get a little practice before I commit to burning holes in something.
:roll:

Great for dialing in vertical and overhead, especially different thickness.
J.Fitz
    Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:56 pm

I once plugged my leads into the high and low instead of one of low and ground....rod would immediately stick and catch fire :lol: just before i threw the welder across the garage, i managed to stop and walk around. felt pretty stupid when i walked back and saw what i had done :shock:

weldin mike 27 wrote:Among other things, I sometimes forget that I'm stick welding and think I'm migging. Then wonder why my arc length gets super long as my hands are braced on the bench instead of traveling in with the rod.
Yeah, that's one of my usual screw-ups too. I MIG so much more than I use stick, that when I see an arc, I expect to have wire feeding into it.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch

exnailpounder wrote:I bought a piece of what I thought was stainless from my metal supplier. They sell metal drops for small projects and being that it was on the SS table, I just assumed it was SS. I cut it and formed it into a ring for a sleeve for a tube STILL not realizing it wasn't SS and even went as far as to weld it. It was 16ga. material so I set up the tig with a 1/16" gas lens and lit up on it and it would weld but the weld would snap as soon as it cooled. Turns out the piece was aluminum. :oops: I am either getting old or drinking too much or a combination of the 2. True story...don't tell anyone :lol:
I guess as you were rolling it you must have thought what a good fabricator you were as that sst rolled so easy :lol:

Don't worry, no one knows...
Richard
Website
exnailpounder

LtBadd wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:I bought a piece of what I thought was stainless from my metal supplier. They sell metal drops for small projects and being that it was on the SS table, I just assumed it was SS. I cut it and formed it into a ring for a sleeve for a tube STILL not realizing it wasn't SS and even went as far as to weld it. It was 16ga. material so I set up the tig with a 1/16" gas lens and lit up on it and it would weld but the weld would snap as soon as it cooled. Turns out the piece was aluminum. :oops: I am either getting old or drinking too much or a combination of the 2. True story...don't tell anyone :lol:
I guess as you were rolling it you must have thought what a good fabricator you were as that sst rolled so easy :lol:

Don't worry, no one knows...
LOL...thanks for keeping it a secret..that would be very embarrassing if it ever got out. :lol: The very odd part is that I love analysing a problem and coming up with a solution but I took a piece of metal all the way through fabrication to discover it was something other than what I thought it was...I might be starting to slip :? :lol:
Poland308

Super Glue a magnet to your bottle opener. Mystery metal problem solved!

Josh
exnailpounder

Poland308 wrote:Super Glue a magnet to your bottle opener. Mystery metal problem solved!
Bingo! But I drink twist off cheap beer...now what :lol:
Poland308

Use the other end. :D
And start with a few high class beers first

Josh
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

i hit the T-4 setting somehow.
does very weird things when your using the foot peddle.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil