General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Talk about digging one out of the basement! This topic is from the end of 2012.

I recently fired up an XMT 304, 460/575V configuration.

I keep getting a help code 7, input overvoltage. My input voltage is well within the 15% range specified in the manual. While the manual suggests a bus voltage imbalance can cause this, the three legs of the power supply are within +/- 2 volts of 493V (529V is the 15% cut-off).

I was initially trying to drive a MIG suitcase with it, and it would weld for anywhere from 1 second to 6 or seven seconds before the weld power would shut off (but the feeder kept pushing wire). I then tried it in stick mode, and got zero output at all.

The help code is intermittent in any mode I set the machine to.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look for obvious issues?

Steve S

I found the manual, thanks to an old topic, but...

I keep getting an intermittent "help 7", input voltage too high. The measured input voltage is well within the 15% range the manual specifies, and the three phases are within +/- 2 volts each leg.

I tried using the machine to drive a matching "suitcase" MIG, and could only get 1-7 seconds of arc before the weld power would quit (but the wire feeder continued). I then tried it in stick mode, and could not even get a spark.

Does anyone here have any experience troubleshooting these machines?

The wiring diagram in the manual is no help; It's just a general schematic of the wiring between transformers and boards. Is there a technical service manual available?

Thanks,

Steve S
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Test all three legs to ground. I bet you have a wild leg of phase. If so try flipping two of the legs.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I'm going to need the serial number, as there are several different versions.
Also, do you know what the voltage is between each phase?
Otto Nobedder wrote:I found the manual, thanks to an old topic, but...

I keep getting an intermittent "help 7", input voltage too high. The measured input voltage is well within the 15% range the manual specifies, and the three phases are within +/- 2 volts each leg.

I tried using the machine to drive a matching "suitcase" MIG, and could only get 1-7 seconds of arc before the weld power would quit (but the wire feeder continued). I then tried it in stick mode, and could not even get a spark.

Does anyone here have any experience troubleshooting these machines?

The wiring diagram in the manual is no help; It's just a general schematic of the wiring between transformers and boards. Is there a technical service manual available?

Thanks,

Steve S

Poland308 wrote:Test all three legs to ground. I bet you have a wild leg of phase. If so try flipping two of the legs.
Interesting.

I checked leg to leg, with a variance of about 2 volts, but did NOT think to check leg to ground.

Thanks for that; I'll have a look Monday.

We run tons of equipment off the three-phase, but this is the first inverter. (The MIG inverters are single-phase, and would not be sensitive to this.)

Steve S

Oh, and I'm still in the wrong damn topic... will fix shortly.

Steve S

Werkspace,

I do. I knew to use it to find the right owners manual, and wrote it down.

LH140745A

It's supposed to "autolink" 460 and 575 60Hz three phase in this configuration. Our "at the wall" voltage is about 494 between phases. I will be checking each leg to ground Monday (Just got my Fluke back from calibration) as suggested by Poland308 on the topic I posted in the wrong category.

Screw it. I merged the topics.

:roll:

Steve S
Poland308

I run into a lot of 1 phase electronics inside of 3 phase units that do not like the wild leg if the control transformer has one leg on the wild side.

Josh

Poland308 wrote:I run into a lot of 1 phase electronics inside of 3 phase units that do not like the wild leg if the control transformer has one leg on the wild side.
I'll check that out Monday. Our wiring is ancient. I can easily imagine a wild leg in 60 year-old wiring. The Fluke I just got back will pick that up, where the meter I had to use Wednesday was a cheapo model with the response time of FEMA.

Steve S
Poland308

Imagine that fema time! It's like time travel. :lol:

Josh
Poland308

Yesterday we could have helped . Tomorrow we can help. But today your just screwed ,

Josh
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Steve,
We had an outside contracted come in to do some piping for us and they ask me if I had a 100 amp 460v single phase outlet available. At that point I said I only had three phase and my boss said just drop the third leg at the bucket of a 480 Mcc and use that. Didn't,t even know you could do such a thing, they had 460 single phase. I looked at the machine and it listed 240/460/575v, all single phase. This was a 700 Syncrowave. Months later another company came in with Lincoln and we did the same thing, both were single phase. Could this be the case here?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Poland308

My 280 has a hidden switch under a screw panel on the back to switch between 208 and 460 and 1 phase or 3 phase.

Josh