General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Phrog
    Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:37 pm

I am new to welding... 3 months and will be welding some box tubing. If I use a strong arm 3 axis tool to place the box tubing in place to weld.... If I let it cool in the strong arm then take it out will it distort? I have watch many welding videos and they talk and show distortion. I will be using a 110 Mig. Any thoughts please let me know... Box tubing is 1.5x1.5 11gauge mild steel
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Phog,
Welcome to the forum.

Everything you weld will distort. That's the simple answer.

I've never used the 3rd axis clamps, but I would believe that if it's held rigid until it cools that it would distort less than it would unrestrained.

Most people who have welded for awhile have learned to mitigate the distortion in their fit up. Usually by starting out of square and using a weld sequence that brings it back to square. Sometimes you'll have to actually pull things back to square after they've cooled. It's all part of the learning process. There's more than one video in Jody's library that talks about distortion, check them out.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Box tubing warps if you look at it wrong. I just finished a small trailer for a cooker build I am doing out of 2x2x14ga. and the way I keep warpage to a minimum is I clamp a stiff-back on every piece. Like Len wrote most people learn how to deal with warpage but I have found stiff-backing and letting the piece cool before unclamping works pretty good. Jody has a great video where he puts a laser on a piece of steel and the welds it. OMG it's a wonder we can build anything plumb, level and square!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Be carefull of the tube if it has a welded seam from the factory. After some practice you will find that the tube will warp differently depending on what side of the tube your welding on in relation to the seam. How ever you can use this to your advantage. Exe. Try putting the seam in all the tubes in the same direction you may find they warp more or less depending on this. If your cutting angles on the tube ends to make a frame shape take some time to lay out your pieces so you can keep the seam were you want it.
I have more questions than answers

Josh