General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I have a project in which I am planning on cutting some 1/8" sheet metal on top of a used brake drum that is cast iron. I was wondering what I should do to combine the two with a strong bead. Preferably nonstick welding. We have a torch at school. I also can do tig if I could find the right settings. I am only 16 yrs old and have been welding for 4 years so please keep it kind of simple.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
mcostello
    Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 am

Try braze.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Brazing is a good option if you have access to oxy acetaleme. Braze rod makeup should be determined by what your doing with the finished product. I.e.what temps will it see? Are you making a mini forge? Does it need to be leak proof or just solid? What kind of contact will you have between the two surfaces.filling in a gap with braze rod can be frustrating till you get some practice.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

What you're trying to do in itself sounds simple, but in reality it is very hard to do with positive results. If this needs to retain any kind of strength you're probably going to be disappointed. A better explanation of what you're trying to do might help.

Cast iron is very brittle when welded and will usually crack along side of the weld when it cools. A used brake drum is a special kind of ugly because it has been heated and cooled many times in it's life and is even more likely to crack. Hell they crack sometimes doing their original job.

If you're trying to attach something to the drum and use it for a base, then the best method would be to bolt a plate through the bolt holes and weld to it.

We need more insight into what you're trying to accomplish to offer you any advice and keep it simple.

oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len