Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
-Ray-
    Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:34 am

I've been watching Jody's videos to get a feel for welding. I bought my welder to make axle back muffer's for my Pontiac G8 and perhaps sell a couple to friends on the forum. I ended up building a spread sheet showing how much money I lost in the process instead. :oops:
Now it's time to learn how to weld properly.

Ray
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Welcome to the site Ray. The school of hard knocks always teaches us well doesn't it? :roll:
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

-Ray-

I've learned the hard way many times.
I've already made some progress on my first weld. I had to adjust the tip on my gun. A helpful associate actually wrapped black tape around the end and sunk the tip. I removed the tape and now it's pretty much flush with the nozzle.
I also need a new helmet. It's a Craftsman auto darkening. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Also when it does, it doesn't lighten up after the flash goes out.
Looks like I'm over to Northern Tool to grab that helmet.

Cheers
tradetek
    Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:05 pm

Don't waste your time, money, and eyes or cheap helmets. I tried 2 HF units before getting my Lincoln Electric Viking 3350 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZF ... IWTOLJUGTA

and it is a night and day difference. It has four sensors that dramatically reduce any chance of being flashed, and big viewing port makes for excellent viability.

A cheaper but good alternative is the Lincoln Electric Viking 2450 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CEJ ... VOD4Y4IS6M.

Bill
Lincoln Electric v155s with TIG pack (lift start)
Lincoln Electic Viking 3350 Helmet

One father's love for his autistic son... http://www.inmyimage.com
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

I have the northern tool one.
Works fine for me. Haven't had a problem with being flashed.
Only thing I don't like, the lightest it'll go is a 9. I would like to be able to go lighter.
And a tip, the northern tool and harbor freight ones are actually the same hood, just different stickers on the outside.
But northern tool is actually cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

-Ray- wrote:I've been watching Jody's videos to get a feel for welding. I bought my welder to make axle back muffer's for my Pontiac G8 and perhaps sell a couple to friends on the forum. I ended up building a spread sheet showing how much money I lost in the process instead. :oops:
Now it's time to learn how to weld properly.

Ray
Welcome Ray,
I wanted a G8 GXP for my next vehicle. Every time the dealership found one, it sold before I could get to it. Got a GMC Sierra instead. Would love to see pictures of your G8, maybe in a pm?

I would go with a medium level auto dark at the least. Those cheap helmets don't seem to last to long.
-Jonathan
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Ray.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
-Ray-

Thanks everyone one.
I'll be getting the helmet from Northern Tool. I appreciate all the input.

Jonathan, here is a link to High Performance Pontiac mag. They did a feature on my car in Feb.

http://image.highperformancepontiac.com ... urnout.jpg

Cheers,
Ray

BTW, it's a bored and stroked LS3 with a Garrett Turbo.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Ray,
I remember than one. Every time there is a G8 or 69-72 Grand Prix I just drool. I have subscribed to HPP for the last 8 years. My passion is Pontiac. Are you going to the High Performance Pontiac Nationals this year? I have went to it since almost the beginning if it. If you are going I will have to meet up with you.
- Jonathan
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:09 pm

Ray what part of Indiana? I'm from around Anderson
-Ray-

Superiorwelding wrote:Ray,
I remember than one. Every time there is a G8 or 69-72 Grand Prix I just drool. I have subscribed to HPP for the last 8 years. My passion is Pontiac. Are you going to the High Performance Pontiac Nationals this year? I have went to it since almost the beginning if it. If you are going I will have to meet up with you.
- Jonathan
I've been the last 3 years, but I'm going to miss it this year. I'll be back though. Had an issue with the G8 and it's currently sitting at the dealership here in town.
I'm not up to driving a stock '07 Solstice to the "Nationals"
Wiredwelder wrote:Ray what part of Indiana? I'm from around Anderson
I was just in Anderson at RPM transmission for Indy Street car shootout, or whatever they call it. Had to stop at Skyline on my way back to Lebanon.

Ray
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:09 pm

If you ever need welding help let me know! Or wanna shoot the breeze! I tig / mig weekly
-Ray-

Wiredwelder wrote:If you ever need welding help let me know! Or wanna shoot the breeze! I tig / mig weekly
Thanks, I may take you up on that.