Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
BumpStick
    Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:21 pm

Hello Yall-

I'm Chris A. M... some of you might get the correlation between my initials and my screen name. I spent 9yrs in the Army in the maintenance shop, most of which I was the shop foreman. I was very fortunate in that most of the time we had a welder either in my platoon or another platoon in the battalion. Our motto was 'Adapt and Overcome.' This was due to either not having what we needed, having to create things to get the job done, or things went FUBAR. I was fortunate to be able to do everything I wanted to do in the Army except learning to weld.

I'm a gear-head. I like working on classic cars, muscle cars, rat rods, Harleys, and right now alot of off-road vehicles. Its been a hobby because I have been a mechanic full time and I didn't enjoy it. After the military I went back to school for a business degree since even with my experience and ability to be management and run things more efficiently they said I had to have that piece of paper. Even with that piece of paper its not helping. I wanted to learn to weld to aid in my hobbies, but that turned into wanting to learn to expand my skill set to make me more marketable. Well things have changed even more but for the better now. The VA says that I will not be able to rejoin the work force. That means I will be getting 100% disability. So now I will be learning to weld for my own hobbies and to do side jobs for people in the automotive circles I run in.

While I was still working I picked up a Miller Syncroware 250 with Coolmate, about 100lbs of various filler rod, commercial 75/25 argon tank, foot pedal, a torch with a thumb adjuster instead of the peddle, Miller digital elite helmet, several pairs of welding gloves, and a bunch of new misc torch parts. All this I got for less than $3000. Yes I watched the guy do a demo with it before I bought it. No, I have not even hooked it up yet.

Starting in the fall I will be going to a local State college for there welding program with my GI Bill. After that I have projects lined up welding suspension mounts to frames and axles, building control arms and axle trusses, roll cage installs (in the beginning I will leave the bending up to someone who is experienced). I have a good quality Dewalt 4.5in grinder and welding magnets. Besides that I have a full assortment of mechanics tools and nothing else to help with welding.

So a question... After I start into school what should be my next investment with $1500? Also by the time I finish the program I will have another $1500-2000 to invest in shop equipment, what else should I be looking to get?
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Chris and thank you for your service.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Chris,
First off, thanks for your service. Welcome to the forum.

You can do quite a bit with what you have, but I'd suggest that you get your cylinder filled with pure Argon if you want to tig weld. 75/25 is for mig welding only.

I believe that nobody can have too many c-clamps and 11R vise-grips. You'll find yourself collecting clamps and making jigs for the rest of your days once you start welding.

I must warn you that welding in general leads to tool collecting, and tig welding becomes a hard to cure addiction in consumable collecting. You'll develop a need for every size gas lens, cup, tungsten, and filler rod of every size and make up. Problem is there's no 12 step program available and hanging around welding forums doesn't get you any closer to recovery. You be in good company here, as most of us suffer from it at varying levels. Whatever dollar amount you put on your initial investment will be eclipsed by your upcoming addiction's needs.

Make one of your first projects a welding table with a substantial top on it for clamping and lay out. You can also buy fixture tables but they are quite expensive.

You don't hear much talk about it but I've found an electric die grinder to be pretty handy in addition to your 4.5" grinder. Flapper wheels and carbide burs get into places that your grinder just can't fit.

A set of 1-2-3 blocks are worth their weight in gold, as well as a set of V or X-blocks. If you plan on doing tubing then you want an easy way to notch tubing, as in a hole saw notcher. Lay out tools can be as elaborate as you willing to throw money at. If you hang around here you'll see pictures of other member's shops that will give you ideas on things you didn't know you needed.

I could go on, but that will give you a few things to look for.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Welcome to the forum.
Once you get your basic skillset going at your local college, there are lots of guys really experienced in what you want to work on here that will help you every step of the way.
You're gonna have some fun.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
BumpStick
    Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:21 pm

Braehill wrote: You can do quite a bit with what you have, but I'd suggest that you get your cylinder filled with pure Argon if you want to tig weld. 75/25 is for mig welding only.
Well it didn't cost me any extra and there is quite a bit of gas in it (over half full still). Looks like I will be buying another tank LOL... I have a buddy who did a little MIG welding for me on my Jeep (self thought hobbyist) with a tiny tank for his Hobart MIG. I'll just strike up a deal with him so it doesn't go to wast
Braehill wrote: I believe that nobody can have too many c-clamps and 11R vise-grips. You'll find yourself collecting clamps and making jigs for the rest of your days once you start welding.
Thanks, I did not even think about that. I only have a couple C-clamps and a handfull of traditional vise-grips.
Braehill wrote: I must warn you that welding in general leads to tool collecting, and tig welding becomes a hard to cure addiction in consumable collecting. You'll develop a need for every size gas lens, cup, tungsten, and filler rod of every size and make up. Problem is there's no 12 step program available and hanging around welding forums doesn't get you any closer to recovery. You be in good company here, as most of us suffer from it at varying levels. Whatever dollar amount you put on your initial investment will be eclipsed by your upcoming addiction's needs.
Sounds like being a gear-head turning wrenches. You have a tendency to acquire many specialty tools never used more than 3 times is about a decade. Also like a Jeep, you start to suffer from asphalt aversion syndrome and no 12-step program or forums that help you recover LOL.
Braehill wrote: Make one of your first projects a welding table with a substantial top on it for clamping and lay out. You can also buy fixture tables but they are quite expensive.
Any suggestions of materials, and design for this project?
Braehill wrote: A set of 1-2-3 blocks are worth their weight in gold, as well as a set of V or X-blocks. If you plan on doing tubing then you want an easy way to notch tubing, as in a hole saw notcher. Lay out tools can be as elaborate as you willing to throw money at. If you hang around here you'll see pictures of other member's shops that will give you ideas on things you didn't know you needed.
What is are 1-2-3 blocks? Any suggestions on a quality hole saw notcher?
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Chris,
1-2-3 blocks are steel blocks that are 1" x 2" x 3" and come in pairs that can be bolted together in many different configurations. Some of the holes are threaded and some not. Do an online search.

There are a few threads on this site with some very well thought out welding tables. Your available real estate will determine how large this table will be. Usually a 1/4" or thicker steel plate is used for the top and square or rectangle tubing used for the legs. Some have the welder mounted under and some are stand alone. It can include casters for ease of moving it around the shop. Use your imagination along with looking at what others have made and you'll find something that will suit you.

You can buy a Harbor Freight hole saw notcher if you don't want to spend much money, people upgrade these with needle bearings. You can also check out Baleigh (? spelling) ones as well as a few others, again, check online.

There are plenty of companies out there selling jigs and fitments for welding up headers and tubing tools. You can spend a king's ransom on these types of tools if you're so inclined. Check out the tuner sites online and you'll see many different companies advertising this stuff.

Going through the many pages of posts here will have your head spinning with ideas for tables and tools. Come back with questions about tools or tables and folks here will be more than happy to offer suggestions.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len