Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Reidly
    Mon May 09, 2016 4:21 pm

Hi all, here's what brought me here. (and I'm following instructions to get posting privileges)

Found the youtube channel & have been watching for a couple of months. I ordered running boards for my older Chevy pickup cause its a bit high & the driver's rocker panel has a big rust hole that I hoped to hide.
The factory-look running boards arrived but require Welding to the rocker panel. Great. So now I need to replace the rocker panel, which I was avoiding. So I figured maybe I could just get a cheap flux-core machine from Harbor Freight for $150. And began perusing the web for guidance & instruction.

Now, after watching for a couple of months, and thinking of all my other projects I could do, Jody's got me all excited about dropping close to 2 grand for a Lincoln 210mp, foot pedal, accessories, tanks, carts, & trimmings. Then I can work on my tractors, motorcycle trailer, restore a couple of cars out in the shed, and then convert my pickup into a hydraulic dump-bed. Today I caught myself pricing plasma cutters.
Geez, a mistress would have been cheaper!
But, so far I haven't spent a penny. I've got too much work to do around the house, and have been out of work for 6 months after my 4th spine surgery. I'm going on disability so maybe I could actually make a dollar or 2 if I end up taking the plunge.

Reidly
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Reidly.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Welcome, Not a better site anywhere to learn how to weld.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
taylorkh
    Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 am

Hello Reidly and welcome to the forum.

If you have not done so already make sure you subscribe to Jody's email. It will announce each new video as it comes out. You might also consider investing in one of the annual DVD video compilations. Which reminds me I need to order the recently released 2015 set.

As to the Horrible Fright flux core welder - DON'T!!! A friend of mine who fixes old cars has been working on a Triumph Spitfire for as long as I have known him. It makes its way to the top of the list, he starts work and then it gets back burnered again. It needed some welding and as his old wire welder of some unknown European parentage was beyond repair I have had a standing offer that he could borrow my Hobart 180. Instead he purchased a HF flux core box.

The contact tip (from which the wire emerges) is ENERGIZED AT ALL TIMES!!! It should only have voltage when the trigger is pressed. DANGEROUS! and messy as you make arc strikes on various obstructions trying to navigate under the car.

Off my soap box for now. I am in Central/Eastern NC - near Wilsons Mills if you happen to be near that part of the state.

Ken