Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

tweake wrote:
Demented wrote:
There are many other instances where DC- on 7018 or 6011 are beneficial. If 7018 and 6011 rod were never intended to be used in DC-, they'd be XXX0, XXX3, XXX5, XXX6 series rods.
well thats not true.
the label is determined by the rods chemical specs, not what polarity it runs.
and the point i made before with the DC+ only 6011 is that the guidelines are very very generalized.
eg there is probably a manufacture somewhere that makes a 6010 that is DC-.
manufactures change the chemical composition of the rods so it can do different things, even tho it falls under the same "spec".

to me if the manufacture specs the rod for it then you can use it.
I thought the flux wasn't specced for DC- on the 6010. First result that came up looking for DC- 6010 was an old Lincoln page speccing it out for verticls down and root passes on pipe, for all of the XXX0 series to boot.

Learn something new every day. I wonder if the same holds true for XXX3, XXX5, and XXX6.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Demented wrote:
tweake wrote:
Demented wrote:
There are many other instances where DC- on 7018 or 6011 are beneficial. If 7018 and 6011 rod were never intended to be used in DC-, they'd be XXX0, XXX3, XXX5, XXX6 series rods.
well thats not true.
the label is determined by the rods chemical specs, not what polarity it runs.
and the point i made before with the DC+ only 6011 is that the guidelines are very very generalized.
eg there is probably a manufacture somewhere that makes a 6010 that is DC-.
manufactures change the chemical composition of the rods so it can do different things, even tho it falls under the same "spec".

to me if the manufacture specs the rod for it then you can use it.
I thought the flux wasn't specced for DC- on the 6010. First result that came up looking for DC- 6010 was an old Lincoln page speccing it out for verticls down and root passes on pipe, for all of the XXX0 series to boot.

Learn something new every day. I wonder if the same holds true for XXX3, XXX5, and XXX6.
xxx0 means its mostly cellulose, but they put a lot of other chemicals in there to which gives it other attributes.
its the same with EVERY class of rod. which is why one manufacture has 4 different 7018.
6013 is a good example, i have some 6013RC which is rutile and cellulose. theres at least 4 subclasses for 6013 that i'm aware of. then theres that pipeline version.
arghh it gets confusing. but the cool thing is that there is a rod for almost anything out there.
tweak it until it breaks
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

tweake wrote: xxx0 means its mostly cellulose, but they put a lot of other chemicals in there to which gives it other attributes.
its the same with EVERY class of rod. which is why one manufacture has 4 different 7018.
6013 is a good example, i have some 6013RC which is rutile and cellulose. theres at least 4 subclasses for 6013 that i'm aware of. then theres that pipeline version.
arghh it gets confusing. but the cool thing is that there is a rod for almost anything out there.
I thought it was also the allowable polarities for the flux, or has that changed at any point in the last 7 years?
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Demented wrote: I thought it was also the allowable polarities for the flux, or has that changed at any point in the last 7 years?
its probably a case of it complies with the standard, but not limited by the standard. eg standard may be it has to be dc+ and as long as it can run in dc+ its fine, but it doesn't mean it can't be speced for dc- or ac as well.

i don't know what it is officially, however i suspect that the polarities come from the two main coatings, which is sodium or potassium. that probably originally gave the polarities in the early days, but by mixing other stuff in they can change that around a bit. so now they can make rods do a few different things.
tweak it until it breaks