Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
dirtroadoutlaw
    Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:19 am

Sure does favor a Lincoln but I have no idea. Obviously copper wound because it’s HEAVY. Been burning 1/8” 6011’s with it so it works! It was in the barn when we bought our place so I’m glad it works. However, as you can see, there ain’t a mark on it making trial and error the only way to get the heat right which is a pain but doable.
Attachments
7F0B4099-B5AB-4B08-8750-37C783DC55F0.jpeg
7F0B4099-B5AB-4B08-8750-37C783DC55F0.jpeg (51.43 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

My guess an old Lincoln. The copper in it is worth more than the machine.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
dirtroadoutlaw

tungstendipper wrote:My guess an old Lincoln. The copper in it is worth more than the machine.

Yep. I cringed when my sister hauled a similar one, but with a dial, that was burned up to THE DUMP! I told her she threw away a bunch of money. Made me sick.

Stoked that this one works well though. This post is an attempt to gain knowledge of how it’s intended to work in terms of which taps do what.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

dirtroadoutlaw wrote:
tungstendipper wrote:My guess an old Lincoln. The copper in it is worth more than the machine.

Yep. I cringed when my sister hauled a similar one, but with a dial, that was burned up to THE DUMP! I told her she threw away a bunch of money. Made me sick.

Stoked that this one works well though. This post is an attempt to gain knowledge of how it’s intended to work in terms of which taps do what.
I wouldn't worry, most of the weight is the heavy steel core the copper is wrapped through.

Plus many are actually copper coated aluminum wire.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

As it works, and if you are so inclined, it would make a nice restoration/refurb project.

Case probably needs some metalwork and repairs, re-doing the wiring/electrics, undoing the 'hacks' that previous owners over it's looooooong life have made, etc.

Of course it makes no sense from a value/commercial standpoint but a nicely restored and fully working one would definitely be in the 'fun' and 'conversation starter' category.

Bye, Arno.
dirtroadoutlaw

Arno wrote:As it works, and if you are so inclined, it would make a nice restoration/refurb project.

Case probably needs some metalwork and repairs, re-doing the wiring/electrics, undoing the 'hacks' that previous owners over it's looooooong life have made, etc.

Of course it makes no sense from a value/commercial standpoint but a nicely restored and fully working one would definitely be in the 'fun' and 'conversation starter' category.

Bye, Arno.
Specific knowledge of the different taps is what I’m after. That’s the whole purpose of the OP. That’s something that would be required for refurb anyhow. There isn’t a single identifying mark on the thing.... anywhere. The blue paint is oviously not original either. I posted here in case anyone had experience with one like it or, perhaps, owns one or something. Also, the only real “hacking” done was the removal of the on/off switch which doesn’t concern me very much since the breaker serves the purpose and is easy to get to. The Vise Grip pliars on the terminal looks to be more necessary than hacking because it makes switching outputs much easier. Those taps have a very firm grip on the terminal when plugged in which makes for a great connection. I will likely resort to having an assistant check each output with a meter while I burn rods. I’d love to be able to at least know what the original tap markings were.
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

Pretty sure all buzzboxes were tapped for aprox. 40, 60, 75, 90, 105, 120, 165, 150 ,175, 200, 225, regardless of year or model.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
dirtroadoutlaw

Demented wrote:Pretty sure all buzzboxes were tapped for aprox. 40, 60, 75, 90, 105, 120, 165, 150 ,175, 200, 225, regardless of year or model.

Understood... but those are 11 ranges. Since I have 3 work taps and 3 heat taps then it looks if there are 24 options as to what the end result will be at the electrode. Without the markings or knowledge of them, it’s just a trial & error deal. Like I said, I don’t have any information about this power source whatsoever. My post is simply a shot in the dark at gaining knowledge of it. I thought of consulting Lincoln directly but I doubt there would be any success. I dare say that, if they still made equipment as well made as this, they’d have probably run themselves out of business. Such is the same case as my old Ford 8N. You won’t find any of today’s tractors still going strong in 66 years. I may reach out to Lincoln and see if they can tell me anything since it looks so much like their cabinet.
dirtroadoutlaw

Contacted Lincoln via phone. E-mail sent with picture and waiting. The man I spoke with was very helpful and wants to see if he can help. He suggests that it could be AC/DC because of the number of taps but I wouldn’t know. We’ll see I suppose.
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

Is there a rectifier bridge inside, or do the taps lead straight out?
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
dirtroadoutlaw

Demented wrote:Is there a rectifier bridge inside, or do the taps lead straight out?
Haven’t looked.
dirtroadoutlaw

Guy at Lincoln emailed me back with a PDF conversion of the photocopied operator manual. It’s a Lincoln AC-180-T. Document dated January 1959. The 8 electrode terminals are 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, 125, 150, and 180. The three “work” terminals are low, medium, and high allowing a little adjustment to the general heat setting chosen with whichever electrode terminal . This is how I’ve been doing it without knowing the intended ratings so that’s great.
dirtroadoutlaw

Thank you for your replies, fellas.