Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects

If some of you pipe welders can enlighten me, I'd appreciate it. What is the reason (or reasons) for the bias in favor of Lincoln over Miller in the oil patch? I know it exists, but I've never heard why.

Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Tradition is the only answer I can justify. Lincoln has been around so long, and Miller is the "new kid", even at their age.

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Watch videos from fieldres on YouTube, he shows how to use the independent amperage and voltage adjustments on a SA-200 Lincoln. That alone would lead me to pick red over blue for pipe welding with 6010.

Len

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I say it's because lincolns weld better.
Might be part of it. :)
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

And they put some great Diesel engines in them.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:21 am

Have used both out in the pipe tracks and up columns, first using Lincoln (400AS-50)and later was introduced to the Miller Dual Welders. The Millers were ok if leads didn't have to run very far (30m) but they were a bit buggy if the temperature was up and found amps fluctuated on hot days due to the motor revs fluctuating. was first introduced to remote amp volt control on Miller, the trade assistant loved this feature.
The Lincoln welders would run the same, day in day out, rain, hail or lots of sun shine without fluctuation and were really good on fuel consumption even when working hard. stable arc even with long leads 50m+ both with TIG & Stick then got into STT (Surface Tension Transfer) and Flux Core Dual process welders.
Spare parts & servicing was a lot easier & quicker on the Lincoln's

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it.

Interesting videos by fieldres.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
going4speed
    Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:30 pm

Oil patch nuff said. I bet the first welder on the rigs must have been lincoln and like I hear almost everyday "we've always done it that way" :D