Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Heliguy78
    Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:05 am

Hi guys,
I am getting reacquainted with TIG welding (I haven't TIG'd in about 15 years!) and am looking to buy a new machine. My question is what adjustable FREQ range should I be looking for for aluminum? I really like the new Syncrowave 210, but its FREQ only goes up to 150hz. Is this enough for most aluminum jobs? I'm mostly just a hobby welder now and would like to get a good machine without having to spend $3800 on a Dynasty setup if possible. Also, has anyone welded with a new syncro 210 yet? Any advice would be appreciated.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

For a hobbist depending on what you plan to weld the 150hz will be more then fine. The Dynasty however is in a whole different level as far as control and adjustments if you plan to do a lot of alum welding. I weld on an older non inverter Sync 350LX everyday and after using a Dynasty 350 a few weeks back at a cert test I was shocked at the difference, were looking at trading in one of ours now to upgrade.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum heliguy78.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

All the adjustments are nice if you really need them on the top end machines - but as a hobbyist on a budget 150hz should be adequate - as I see it the only real benefit from very high frequency & pulse is for very thin material & welding close to edges - for general use 100 > 120Hz seems fine in my limited experience &on thicker material you won't need that - some of the best looking aluminum welds on here are done by a guy with an " old school " machine with almost no gismos - he just welds great ! - if you want higher frequencies & all the bells & whistles maybe look at the better end of import machines - many of these have advanced settings comparable with a Dynasty but at a fraction of the cost.
davidally
    Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:05 am

Heliguy78 wrote:Hi guys,
I am getting reacquainted with TIG welding (I haven't TIG'd in about 15 years!) and am looking to buy a new machine. My question is what adjustable FREQ range should I be looking for for aluminum? I really like the new Syncrowave 210, but its FREQ only goes up to 150hz. Is this enough for most aluminum jobs? I'm mostly just a hobby welder now and would like to get a good machine without having to spend $3800 on a Dynasty setup if possible. Also, has anyone welded with a new syncro 210 yet? Any advice would be appreciated.
Hi,
In your budget, you can easily get the new machine. I think, the freq range 150hz is enough for you. I have also recommend you that there are so many machines available in the market, you will buy a machine in most reasonable prices.

www.aluminumrepair.tumblr.com
Heliguy78
    Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:05 am

I appreciate all the advice. Thanks guys!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

The HTP Invertig 221 will do up to 200Hz, and is feature packed, with a good warranty, for about ~$2500.
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Heliguy,
Check out Everlast - specifically their 210EXT. They are Chinese made, but seem to be among the better ones, and you get a lot of features for your money. The 210EXT will do 200Hz, and if you buy direct you could get them close to your $1500 target. http://www.everlastgenerators.com/Power ... 77-pd.html

Cheers,
Richard
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!