Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Gene.243
    Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:43 pm

I've been trying to weld and can reliably get a puddle going. Sometimes even make a decent bead. Things were going along fine when I looked at my electrode. This is one ready to use and one used electrode.
welding 1/8 inch aluminum
at 125 amps
3/32 2% lanthanated electrode
precision tig 225
A/C balance auto I've started playing with non-auto settings and get similar results.
Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
Attachments
electrode_0406.JPG
electrode_0406.JPG (98.04 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Something is wrong.

Your electrode should eventually form a neat, shiny ball, not crap up like in the pics. How much argon are you running?

EDIT - also, how much post flow? How long is your electrode stick out? Your whole electrode should remain shiny silver.

Kym
Gene.243

Just over 15 cfh on a pressure type gage. Santa hasn't brought a ball type flowmeter yet.
Also I'm using a gas lens on a type 17 torch.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Gene,
I have a little test for you to see if this a gas issue or a bad tungsten issue. Take a piece of steel of any size and clean it shiny bright, no mill scale, clean bare metal, and light up on it until it puddles. Without moving your torch back off the pedal until it drops the arc and don't move the torch until your post flow is complete. If the puddle and the tungsten stay shiny bright, you don't have a gas issue. If the steel stays bright but the tungsten turns gray, I would be suspect of the tungsten.

Do this and check back with the results.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Gene.243

Stick out measures 0.292" or 7.24 mm.

This is my next electrode with only a couple inches of weld on it.
Post flow is about 8 seconds.
Attachments
lens0410.JPG
lens0410.JPG (79.05 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
Gene.243

Len,
I'd like to confirm that I should switch to DCEN for the steel test.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I'd up your cfh to at least 17 and then increase post flow 1sec at a tine until you end up with a shiny tungsten.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

Gene,
Yes, switch to DCEN for the test.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Gene.243

Here is the spot.
Attachments
spot_0411.JPG
spot_0411.JPG (112.86 KiB) Viewed 1269 times
Gene.243

Here's the tip.
Sorry about the focus I think the color shows.
Attachments
tip_0414.JPG
tip_0414.JPG (69.09 KiB) Viewed 1268 times

Gene,
You definitely have a gas issue. Have you refilled or switched out your cylinder lately? Check your collet and see if it's twisted, as this will restrict your flow on occasion. Have you been able to weld with this set up before today? Check your Argon system from the cylinder to the torch for a leak.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Gene.243

My #2 son said I may have bad gas. I don't have enough experience to say that. More likely something is plugged. Should I change one thing at a time or replace gas lens, collet and tungsten as a set.
Gene.243

Looks twisted to me.
Attachments
Twist0417.JPG
Twist0417.JPG (77.73 KiB) Viewed 874 times
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If you have a mic or a calipers check the actual diameter of the tungsten. I recently threw out a whole package of 1/8 in tungsten because they were under sized and when I tried to tighten them in my gun it would do the very same thing to my collets as what you have pictured.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

I've been trying out the CK wedge collets as well recently, which they partially market at being unable to get deformed like that.

I'm not an expert by any means, but they seem to grip solidly, and haven't deformed or even discolored in my usage of the one that I'm using right now. Also not sure, but based on how much I have to release the cap before the tungsten will move, I suspect that they'd grip an off-spec tungsten as well.

http://www.ckworldwide.com/wedge-collets.html

About the fouling, the first pic of the tungsten in the torch looked like there was a gas lens up in there. How clogged is the screen on the front of it? It might have just been the picture, but it looked pretty grimy, which I would guess could affect the gas flow as well?
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.

hey_allen wrote:
About the fouling, the first pic of the tungsten in the torch looked like there was a gas lens up in there. How clogged is the screen on the front of it? It might have just been the picture, but it looked pretty grimy, which I would guess could affect the gas flow as well?
I thought the same thing. I've made all manner of mistakes, splatters and blow-ups but my gas lenses somehow remain bright and shiny. The lens in that pic certainly appears to be pretty fouled up.

Kym
Gene.243

Here is a look at the screen of my lens and an unused one. edit the cups are backward just to hold the lenses.
Attachments
gasLens0418.JPG
gasLens0418.JPG (74.07 KiB) Viewed 875 times
Gene.243

Went with a new lens and collet. The new spot is on the left.
Attachments
spots_0420.JPG
spots_0420.JPG (128.07 KiB) Viewed 875 times

Gene -

Is electrode now staying sharp and shiny?

Kym

Gene,
As stated the wedge collets from CK worldwide basically eliminate that problem. I've used one for 3 years and welded many pipe joints that have overheated my torch to the point where I had to stop and let it cool and it's still like new.

The twisted collet swell out against the sides of the collet body and restrict flow of the Argon. Common problem.

Have you been able to weld with that particular cylinder before now without issue? Bas gas or a mix of Argon/CO2 can give you fits. It's generally moisture in the gas that causes issues. Tell your supplier that you suspect bad gas and they will usually trade it out for another cylinder.

9 chances out of ten when your tungsten disintegrates it's caused by a gas or gas flow issue. This can also be caused by a low pressure leak in the system that siphons air in with the flow, those are much harder to pinpoint.

You've joined the list of many new welders to find their way down this path.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Gene.243

MosquitoMoto wrote:Gene -

Is electrode now staying sharp and shiny?

Kym
I'll put some amps through it tomorrow.
Looks new after the spot test.
Gene.243

Poland308 wrote:If you have a mic or a calipers check the actual diameter of the tungsten. I recently threw out a whole package of 1/8 in tungsten because they were under sized and when I tried to tighten them in my gun it would do the very same thing to my collets as what you have pictured.
They are all 0.03 to 0.05 mm small.
Gene.243

I did about a foot of welding this morning and this is my new electrode compared to yesterdays.
Still welding mild steel 125 amps DCEN 3/32 #8 gas lens.
Attachments
tips_0424.JPG
tips_0424.JPG (67.11 KiB) Viewed 931 times

Gene,
That looks a little better, but still not great.

Have you leak checked your system? Check and or replace the o-ring on your back cap or swap the cap with another one. Check your system with soapy water, fill a balloon, there's quite a few post here with tips on checking for leaks. Put leaks in the search bar.

Is the weld bead staying shiny now? Throw up a picture of the weld when you get a chance so we see if anything stands out on that side of things.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Gene.243

Todays welds look like.
Attachments
weld_0061.JPG
weld_0061.JPG (137.06 KiB) Viewed 918 times