Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
RedyTedy
    Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:24 pm

When TIG welding aluminum, or just welding in general, should there be a slight gap between the two pieces?

I have heard that you want a very slight gap for the metal to flow into, but I read somewhere else that the pieces should be flush. What is the correct answer?
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Welcome RT.

Gap, no, but for good penetration (depending on factors including thickness of the material being welded) a bevel can help penetration.

Kym
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

There is no ONE correct answer. Just different processes and different acceptable parameters/specifications for the weld procedures. If you are doing hobby welding, you NEED to practice and cut up your practice pieces and etch them to see if YOU get acceptable fusion for your tastes. Naval Jelly rust remover can etch steel and EZ-Off oven cleaner can etch aluminum (if you smooth out the cut lines from the portions you slice up). Try it. It's a great learning experience.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Check out the recent vids Jamie posted under distortion. Both will answer a lot of questions.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Poland308 wrote:Check out the recent vids Jamie posted under distortion. Both will answer a lot of questions.
Do you mean, "Jody?"

You said "Jamie," and I have no idea who that is.

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I tried to PM him to clear the whole name thing up, as he's referred to him as Jamie on other occasions but he still didn't get it. So I'll try the method that works best with my children, I'll raise my voice, which by the way doesn't happen often.

HIS F-ING NAME IS JODY, GOT IT.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Auto correct I got a friend Jamie and it auto corrected when I went to type Jody. I didn't catch it. My bad. Sorry.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
marvin_narciso
    Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:36 am

:lol: hahahahah. Sorry, I couldn't help it.
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Most times there's nothing wrong with a small, controlled gap in your fitup. Especially when you are looking for a full penetration.