Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
AFR_Autoworks
    Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:35 am

Do you drill a hole for gasses to escape when you are closing up the welds? I think I may have to build some cubes just for practice, ouside corners are my kryptonite.
AFR_Autoworks

Pie cuts tend to get crapped on by allot of people. The truth is they are EXTREMELY helpful. I had to bend this downpipe elbow up to clear the wastegates and then down right away... All while transitioning from 3" to 4". They 4" bends I have don't have a tight enough radius to do this.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (49.98 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (50.48 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (33.64 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

AFR_Autoworks wrote:Pie cuts tend to get crapped on by allot of people. The truth is they are EXTREMELY helpful. I had to bend this downpipe elbow up to clear the wastegates and then down right away... All while transitioning from 3" to 4". They 4" bends I have don't have a tight enough radius to do this.
Nice solution
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Pie cuts work however plain and simple, very nice job..

How are you cutting?
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

rick9345 wrote:
Nice solution
+1
How did you calculate the pie cuts, and cut them?
Richard
Website
AFR_Autoworks

I cut with a water cooled band saw and deburr with a belt sander. I used to use a chop saw but it was terrible, more time deburring and dressing then actually welding them. To calculate them I always do 5 degree cuts so each piece equals 10 degrees. Some people do 4.5 degree so you can make 45 degree elbows but 5 works well for me. To adjust the radius of the bends you just change the length of the pieces. If you can deal with welding paper thin metal on the inside of the bend you could essentially do a 0 radius bend
AFR_Autoworks

Also, I tack welded a 3-4" concentric reducer to a piece of 4" stainless so I had a piece to clamp to and reference to make sure it was straight. I then pie cut the reducer. This was my second time doing this and it works like a charm!
    Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 am

I started welding school last May 18th. We aren't supposed to finish until April 15th.
AWS certification on all four processes, 2-4G.
I passed my last final tonight.

I never could follow the rules.
Attachments
TIG....
TIG....
20160222_201041.jpg (30.03 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
MIG....
MIG....
20160205_174925.jpg (29.67 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Flux core....
Flux core....
20160122_180732.jpg (30.86 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Stick....
Stick....
20151215_160930.jpg (37.1 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Chris
NASA is not the enemy of the American taxpayer.
AWS D1.1, D17.1

AFR_Autoworks wrote:I cut with a water cooled band saw and deburr with a belt sander. I used to use a chop saw but it was terrible, more time deburring and dressing then actually welding them. To calculate them I always do 5 degree cuts so each piece equals 10 degrees. Some people do 4.5 degree so you can make 45 degree elbows but 5 works well for me. To adjust the radius of the bends you just change the length of the pieces. If you can deal with welding paper thin metal on the inside of the bend you could essentially do a 0 radius bend
That makes sense, thanks.
Richard
Website

RocketSurgeon wrote:I started welding school last May 18th. We aren't supposed to finish until April 15th.

Congrats Chris
Your hard work is paying off. :)
Richard
Website
Rick_H

LtBadd wrote:
RocketSurgeon wrote:I started welding school last May 18th. We aren't supposed to finish until April 15th.

Congrats Chris
Your hard work is paying off. :)
Awesome job Chris, always nice to finally have all those bend tests completed. No matter how confident I was I hated watching those bend...lol
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Rick_H

More pipe, I have the whole bypass loop finally done I'll post tonight, next up welding the leg in up in the ceiling... Yippie
Attachments
Fillet
Fillet
IMG_20160225_223708112.jpg (72.02 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Small root
Small root
IMG_20160225_223030297_HDR.jpg (33.71 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Flange
Flange
IMG_20160223_230833742_HDR.jpg (78.83 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
BigD
    Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:56 pm

It doesn't look like much to the guys on here but I'm super happy right now. I've been working on installing a full cage in my racecar which had a rollbar put in before I knew how to/could weld. The trouble is that the rollbar fits the car quite well and being able to weld the forward bars to the hoop fully all around seemed impossible without cutting the roof. Cutting the rollbar out wasn't a consideration for many reasons (one of the biggest being how hard it would be to properly re-do the rear stay attachment in the trunk). Cutting and stitching up a few holes in the roof wouldn't be the end of the world but I really hoped it could be avoided.

Then I saw that you could get a TIG microtorch that would work in around a half inch of space. So in December I got me a TIG welder and started learning.

Over the past week I fitted the forward bars and windshield bar and today was the day when I tackled the final welding to the hoop. It ended up being a lot harder than I hoped. Every gadget I picked up for its coolness ended up being crucial. In addition to the confined space, something I didn't foresee when I was doing dry runs was that wearing a welding helmet, I couldn't see jack. I did some of it by Braille but eventually it got to be hopeless. With my welder I also picked up the Miller welding goggles at the trade show because they seemed neat. They were what really let me get my head right up to the roof. Then I mcgyvered a mirror and started trying to weld through the reflection. Got crossed up a couple of times but overall it went well! I gotta say I'm quite pleased with myself!
12717931_10154152108973287_2231519467444512849_n.jpg
12717931_10154152108973287_2231519467444512849_n.jpg (66.64 KiB) Viewed 1493 times
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Welding by mirror view can suck but gets used for a lot of position welds in tight spots. I even keep a SS polished mirror if I'm worried the heat will crack the glass. In a tight spot solid or leak free often trumps looks.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
BIGTIME
    Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:21 pm

20 inch pipe getting set welded it up today
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (32 KiB) Viewed 1483 times
    Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

BigD wrote:It doesn't look like much to the guys on here but I'm super happy right now. I've been working on installing a full cage in my racecar which had a rollbar put in before I knew how to/could weld. The trouble is that the rollbar fits the car quite well and being able to weld the forward bars to the hoop fully all around seemed impossible without cutting the roof. Cutting the rollbar out wasn't a consideration for many reasons (one of the biggest being how hard it would be to properly re-do the rear stay attachment in the trunk). Cutting and stitching up a few holes in the roof wouldn't be the end of the world but I really hoped it could be avoided.

Then I saw that you could get a TIG microtorch that would work in around a half inch of space. So in December I got me a TIG welder and started learning.

Over the past week I fitted the forward bars and windshield bar and today was the day when I tackled the final welding to the hoop. It ended up being a lot harder than I hoped. Every gadget I picked up for its coolness ended up being crucial. In addition to the confined space, something I didn't foresee when I was doing dry runs was that wearing a welding helmet, I couldn't see jack. I did some of it by Braille but eventually it got to be hopeless. With my welder I also picked up the Miller welding goggles at the trade show because they seemed neat. They were what really let me get my head right up to the roof. Then I mcgyvered a mirror and started trying to weld through the reflection. Got crossed up a couple of times but overall it went well! I gotta say I'm quite pleased with myself!
12717931_10154152108973287_2231519467444512849_n.jpg
Looks like you did a fine job. It looks better than the MIG welds on the other bar.
Freddie
BigD
    Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:56 pm

big gear head wrote:Looks like you did a fine job. It looks better than the MIG welds on the other bar.
Thanks! Not the prettiest with all the awkward start/stops but I'm happy with it. Yeah I think I'm going to go over some of these with the TIG to make them fuse deeper. Makes me wish I did everything myself but back then welding was black magic to me. Now all I do is shake my head at other people's work. Not that I could necessarily do better in some cases but knowing the application and caliber that these welders should be, it's shameful. One of the worst was what I saw at the Pagani factory tour. They make their 4 million dollar cars look pretty with all the carbon but the cage and intake welding could be done better by a diligent welding school student.
Poland308 wrote:Welding by mirror view can suck but gets used for a lot of position welds in tight spots. I even keep a SS polished mirror if I'm worried the heat will crack the glass. In a tight spot solid or leak free often trumps looks.
Yeah, I didn't even know this was a thing but I figured it made sense. I wish Jody did more videos about doing these kinds of goofy application videos - like welding with the mirror, or like you guys told me about in the cage thread, taping the pedal to your foot when contorting.
Rick_H

Bypass loop completed, tie in tomorrow and replace the entire leg in stainless.
Attachments
IMG_20160227_171152.jpg
IMG_20160227_171152.jpg (49.77 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
IMG_20160227_171514489_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160227_171514489_HDR.jpg (50.75 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Rick_H

@zank

I was scrolling through and my 4 year old saw the aluminum bike frame, I stopped and explained how this was a frame someone was making by welding and how nice it was. He looked at me and said "he make those for Walmart?".. I couldn't help but laugh at his innocence.

Awesome work as always zank, beautiful work. I repaired a spare high end bike for a friend of mine a few years back, I was shocked at how much it wanted to move. I had it clamped it tight...
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Rick_H

BIGTIME wrote:20 inch pipe getting set welded it up today

Nice!
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Rick_H wrote:Bypass loop completed, tie in tomorrow and replace the entire leg in stainless.
As a retired mechanic at a food factory I must thank you for the unions and their respective positions. So many times either one of our people or a contractor socket welds these in so you cannot even begin to remove and repair. THANK YOU ahead of time.
Rick_H

bruce991 wrote:
Rick_H wrote:Bypass loop completed, tie in tomorrow and replace the entire leg in stainless.
As a retired mechanic at a food factory I must thank you for the unions and their respective positions. So many times either one of our people or a contractor socket welds these in so you cannot even begin to remove and repair. THANK YOU ahead of time.

Thank you Bruce! I to am a mechanic at a food plant, and like you it pisses me off every time I have to do a repair and there is no Union in sight. People really don't think about future repairs.w
Attachments
IMG_20160228_180104054_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160228_180104054_HDR.jpg (31.13 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
Leg done...just have to weld the flange once it's all aligned.
Leg done...just have to weld the flange once it's all aligned.
IMG_20160228_232338505_HDR.jpg (50.12 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
I'm on it today...
I'm on it today...
IMG_20160228_232312592.jpg (49.19 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Bill w
    Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:12 am

Support flange.
Attachments
0203161440.jpg
0203161440.jpg (31.35 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Rick,
Did you really have to show us a picture of your Johnson? Lol.

Len

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Rick_H

Braehill wrote:Rick,
Did you really have to show us a picture of your Johnson? Lol.

Len

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lmfao...
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB