Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I noticed that I always seem to get small pepper looking things in my weld puddle. In watching Jody's videos I see it in some of his welds as well. Is this considered normal?
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Shield gas problem.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
rahtreelimbs

How is this a shield gas problem? I have 3 different AC tig machines. All have gas lenses....I have used different bottles of argon. No leaks. No matter what the pressure is set at same thing. All 3 machines give the same results.
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

What percentage of EN are you using for the AC Balance?

If the aluminum is very clean, I have used 80% EN for my AC Balance without any issues (the puddle is silver and clean). Though other occasions I needed to reduced my EN to 68%-70% for my AC Balance in order to maintain a clean pudde.
rahtreelimbs

dynasty200sd wrote:What percentage of EN are you using for the AC Balance?

If the aluminum is very clean, I have used 80% EN for my AC Balance without any issues (the puddle is silver and clean). Though other occasions I needed to reduced my EN to 68%-70% for my AC Balance in order to maintain a clean pudde.
72......I have played up and down .......same thing!
rahtreelimbs

I will add that this happens with 4043 and 5356 rod. All surfaces hit wit a clean stainless steel brush and wiped with acetone.

rahtreelimbs wrote:I will add that this happens with 4043 and 5356 rod. All surfaces hit wit a clean stainless steel brush and wiped with acetone.
What about your base material, does this happen say on flat bar, or do you have a different piece (of AL) to weld on. My purpose is to determine if the base material could be the issue.
Richard
Website
rahtreelimbs

LtBadd wrote:
rahtreelimbs wrote:I will add that this happens with 4043 and 5356 rod. All surfaces hit wit a clean stainless steel brush and wiped with acetone.
What about your base material, does this happen say on flat bar, or do you have a different piece (of AL) to weld on. My purpose is to determine if the base material could be the issue.
Many different pieces if base metal.....I thought I coveted all variables.
    Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:45 am

Clean rags for the Acetone? Clean brushes? Clean gloves? Start looking at things that are common for for what you're doing. Clean work surface? Is there a draft close by?
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Realize your not new & don't mean to offend - but is it possibly either torch angle or getting tip of rod outside gas cover while hot ? I still do it occasionally in difficult positions - seems once you dip a couple of times with an oxidized rod end the crud will follow along the weld a good distance.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Almost all filler rod have additives that act as fluxing agents to draw impurities to the surface, and this is a good thing, keeps them from being trapped in the weld puddle. A lot of this is just that.

When you achieve a full penetration weld without shielding gas on the back side you can draw oxidation through the puddle and it comes to the surface because it's drawn to the hottest spot.

Most of this can easily be brushed off and should be little cause for concern. Yes it's normal in the real world.

On the other hand you could buy a new SS wire brush every time you weld something, get cleanroom rags, a 55 drum of Acetone, Ultra High Purity Argon, and a purge chamber. But hey, that $5.00 bookshelf bracket can never be too clean, now can it.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

rahtreelimbs wrote:How is this a shield gas problem? I have 3 different AC tig machines. All have gas lenses....I have used different bottles of argon. No leaks. No matter what the pressure is set at same thing. All 3 machines give the same results.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Maybe I missed it, but have you tried different rod, good idea to clean rod also, aluminum oxidizes very quick.. :)
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
HitMissTom
    Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:18 am

I am going to follow this post as I really want to see what fixes the problem.

I will add that I was practicing on some old aluminum (probably outside for years) and no matter what I did, or how I tried to clean it, I could not get a non-contaminated weld on it. Tried a different piece and all was fine.