Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

How do you find the appropriate amperage for tig welding stainless steel? It is so easy to get too hot......the weld turns black.......eventually rust will appear.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I find myself running about 75% of the thickness in amps. For example, .125 material I run about 90-95 amps. For 0.063, I’m running about 43-48 amps. It’s not exact, because filler or fused, joint type, etc all effect the weld parameters.

You definitely need a LOT of gas coverage when welding stainless. You also need to get a puddle and GO! No loitering around and cooking the metal. If your weld is turning black, you’ve got a gas coverage issue. Step up your cup size and turn up the gas. I use a gas lens and a #12 cup almost exclusively when welding stainless.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Depending on the size of what your welding you also need to be aware of heat saturation. Small or thin parts require lots of small welds and cool time between them. Interpass temps are critical.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

smallest rod size also
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
cj737

motox wrote:smallest rod size also
There's a scenario where this actually hurts, in that you can't chill the puddle enough so you end up with saturation as Poland indicated. I did some 0.040 sheet for a decorative countertop that demanded filler to prevent burn-back and blow-out. Dropped to a 1/16th tungsten, purged the back, and still had to use 0.045 wire on a flush-fit seam. I'm sure better welders than me could have done it without, but not this old hack. :oops:

With stainless, I find its nearly impossible to dictate exact parameters due to the myriad of conditions involved. Thin or thick? Flat or uphill/overhead? Fused or filled welds? Pulse or not. Just too many variables...

cj737 wrote: I find its nearly impossible to dictate exact parameters due to the myriad of conditions involved. Thin or thick? Flat or uphill/overhead? Fused or filled welds? Pulse or not. Just too many variables...
Thick to thin, besides I don't want to be straped to the idea I have to know the amps, you need to just get the machine close and weld with the foot pedal watching the bead to determine what you need.
Richard
Website
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

cj737 wrote:
There's a scenario where this actually hurts, in that you can't chill the puddle enough so you end up with saturation as Poland indicated. I did some 0.040 sheet for a decorative countertop that demanded filler to prevent burn-back and blow-out. Dropped to a 1/16th tungsten, purged the back, and still had to use 0.045 wire on a flush-fit seam. I'm sure better welders than me could have done it without, but not this old hack. :oops:

With stainless, I find its nearly impossible to dictate exact parameters due to the myriad of conditions involved. Thin or thick? Flat or uphill/overhead? Fused or filled welds? Pulse or not. Just too many variables...
How did you purge the backside? Been wondering this all day.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
cj737

tungstendipper wrote:
cj737 wrote:

How did you purge the backside? Been wondering this all day.
For the long, flat seams, had a set of hands run a hose against the backside. For corners, I built a purge block jig. I use Western Quick Connects and attain a hose, open the tank, and clamp the jig into position.keeps things square, seams tight, and purge against the open seams.