Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
porcupine
    Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:31 am

Hi All,

This may be a really stupid question (DISCLAIMER). I have never welded anything in my life. I bought a TIG Machine (TOPWELL ALUTIG250HD - AC/DC TIG, HF, Pulse, Sequencer, AC Waveshapes, MIXTIG, and all the bells and whistles which may or may not be necessary for a beginner like me). Got myself a new 100% Argon bottle, a flowmeter regulator. Hooked up everything. Read the manuals at least 20 times, watched the many TIG welding primer on YouTubes at least a 1000 times.

Here's the question. My machine does not have a "Gas Check Function". It does have a pre-flow and post-flow function. How do I set my flowmeter regulator volume to my required 8-9Lpm (18-20Cfh). With the flowmeter, nothing will be shown unless I initiate the trigger on the torch / pedal. My machine is set to HF arc initiation but I can set it to lift arc. Is it safe to just press the trigger up in the air (away from the material or the ground clamp) to test the volume flow of the Argon on my flowmeter. Someone told me to remove the tungsten from the torch, unhook the negative torch lead, unhook the positive ground lead, and just connect the gas hose connection and the switch connection of the torch to the machine and trigger the torch. Does it really matter ?

What is the safe procedure to do this ? I'd appreciate it if anybody can give me a helping hand as there are no TIG welders that I know of around my area that I can call for help.
TOPWELL ALUTIG250HD
AC/DC TIG, MIXTIG, MMA
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

No need to remove the tungsten or unhook anything and do crazy stuff. Just hold the torch away from anything and tap the button or foot pedal and you're golden. When I do it I typically just have my torch in the torch holder and have never had any issues. I do the same thing on the MIG at work.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)

Agree with Demented, never seen a TIG machine with a check gas function button/switch. As long as the torch (tungsten) isn't grounded or near ground, stand so you can see and adjust the flowmeter if it's needed, and give the pedal or remote a tap.
Richard
Website
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I do it as well. Especially if I haven’t used it in a few days or if I’m working on something critical.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
porcupine
    Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:31 am

Thank you for the confirmation. I'll do just that then. Cheers all !
TOPWELL ALUTIG250HD
AC/DC TIG, MIXTIG, MMA
taylorkh
    Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 am

My Miller Dynasty DX200 has a "purge" feature which flows gas but does not energize the electrode. That is what I use to set the flowrate. It is also useful when I first setup the machine after breaking it down for storage. It is of course necessary to get any air out of the lines before welding. My Hobart HH180 wire welder also has a purge mode. Check your manual for "purge."

Ken
Bladevane
    Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:10 pm

My Parweld has a purge function which puts gas on to the torch for 15 seconds unless you tap the button again and it stops. I use it when I haven't welded for a day or so for a couple of seconds or when changing hoses perhaps for 5 seconds. Never had any tungsten burn issues so the timing must be about right.