Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
CJones
    Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:13 pm

I'm a new TIG welder and just ordered a PowerTIG Everlast 250EX with the water cooler. Unfortunately, the water cooler is on back order and will be over a month before it arrives. Can anyone suggest a good air torch to use with this TIG welder. My main focus (for now) is to weld 16 to 22 gauge Stainless Steel for Maple Syrup equipment. I would like to get started learning with this welder right away so I feel my only option is to order an air torch. I'm guessing, through hours of searching and learning online, that the C/K style torch is one of the better ones on the market. I'm thinking I might order one of these in the water cool version as well (later on). Any thoughts on what I should do for the air torch and what I would need to get a good start? A TIG Finger is most definitely on the list!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

You nailed it. CK.
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

Check this out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THu4aSj46bc

Wish I knew about that before I bought my CK-17 Flex. Works darn well. Been maxed out on my 250EX with the stock torch and a 300lph pump from a pet store and no issues.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
WeldingJunkie
    Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:43 pm

be careful if you use that video Demented put up... you'll burn out your expensive torch if something were to happen. if its the Everalast torch go for it but i never recommend doing that with a CK torch just wait for cooler or get an air cooled torch they are cheap enough.
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

WeldingJunkie wrote:be careful if you use that video Demented put up... you'll burn out your expensive torch if something were to happen. if its the Everalast torch go for it but i never recommend doing that with a CK torch just wait for cooler or get an air cooled torch they are cheap enough.
Same goes for a proper water cooler. Always best to make sure everything is working and if a water-cooled torch starts to feel a bit toasty, stop and check what the problem is.

This is just a temp thing until a "proper" water cooler is obtained. Cheaper than an air-cooled torch.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
CJones
    Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:13 pm

Thanks everyone. Everlast supports there equipment well. I emailed them about my situation and they offered to send me a free #26 air cooled torch. I called them and asked if I could pay the difference to get the #17 flex head torch and they charged me $50 for the upgrade (the torch is sold for $129 on their website). I have the new torch coming. I will only be welding light gage materials for now and once the water cooler comes, I'll be ordering the #20 CK torch.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

CJones wrote:Thanks everyone. Everlast supports there equipment well. I emailed them about my situation and they offered to send me a free #26 air cooled torch. I called them and asked if I could pay the difference to get the #17 flex head torch and they charged me $50 for the upgrade (the torch is sold for $129 on their website). I have the new torch coming. I will only be welding light gage materials for now and once the water cooler comes, I'll be ordering the #20 CK torch.
Realize that the torch fittings for a 26 versus a 17 on the gas/air hose differs. The 26 is rated for 250 amps, the 17 for 150. Larger hose, larger torch, larger brass fittings (at least on my CK hoses).