Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
TIGTK
    Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:58 pm

Any advice for a rookie welding schedule 40 aluminum anodized pipe ? I just started this new welding hobby a few months ago and I am loving every minute so far. It's also the most frustrating thing I have ever learned. LOL. I understand the bump technique but my welds still don't look good.

I am running a Miller Dynasty 280 DX with a Weldcraft 280 Water cooled tig torch. On/Off button on the torch.
Any advice on Amps, Balance , Frequency , Tungsten brand, tungsten sharpening ?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

220-240 amps, 165Hz, 65% Balance, 1/8” tungsten works pretty well.

Check out MartinMarineDesign on IG. Ray is probably the best anodized welder on planet earth...
TIGTK

Thanks for the info CJ737, really appreciate the help. I went on IG and looked at MartinMarineDesign. Wow, he is the master for sure !!! He makes it look so easy. Back to my shop this weekend for some more practice.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

firstly don't weld Anodized Aluminum.
if you have to, from what i understand look for one of the old rigs that has constant HF on it.
tweak it until it breaks
cj737

tweake wrote:firstly don't weld Anodized Aluminum.
if you have to, from what i understand look for one of the old rigs that has constant HF on it.
:?:
Why do you not suggest welding anodized ally, Tweake? It’s rather commonplace here in the States for marine applications and done all the time. And his 280DX is perfectly suited for doing it both in features and setup with a torch switch for bumping. In fact, he could even buy the Independent AC sw upgrade to have different amplitude controls if he wanted to get sexy.
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

cj737 wrote:
Why do you not suggest welding anodized ally, Tweake? It’s rather commonplace here in the States for marine applications and done all the time. And his 280DX is perfectly suited for doing it both in features and setup with a torch switch for bumping. In fact, he could even buy the Independent AC sw upgrade to have different amplitude controls if he wanted to get sexy.
Is bumping on anodized better than just cranking the amps up and going faster?
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
cj737

Demented wrote:
cj737 wrote:
Is bumping on anodized better than just cranking the amps up and going faster?
As explained to me by others who do it for a living, they bump to control the bead and the cleaning action of the anodizing. Also, you’re constantly out of position and need to adjust to maintain a very high standard of appearance. Most of these applications go on high dollar marine toys, so they need to look good.
Warrenh
    Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Yeah. Stuff like this. LolImage

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

cj737 wrote:
because hes a rookie thats only been welding for a few months and is a hobbyist.
trying to do something very difficult like that is just begging for problems when your starting out.
the other thing, for small stuff you can use non-anodized ally, weld it all up and go get the whole thing anodized.

for pro's, sure they can weld anodized ally all day long.
tweak it until it breaks
cj737

tweake wrote: because hes a rookie thats only been welding for a few months and is a hobbyist.
trying to do something very difficult like that is just begging for problems when your starting out.
the other thing, for small stuff you can use non-anodized ally, weld it all up and go get the whole thing anodized.

for pro's, sure they can weld anodized ally all day long.
Ah, I get your point now. Heck, where's your sense of adventure? For a hobbyist, he owns a heck of a machine (Dynasty 280DX), plus a water-cooled rig. I'd say he's got ample resources to have a go. Besides, you can't learn if you don't experiment. ;)
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

years ago i welded a few tabs on a anodized down rig for a friend. used the dab stop dab stop technique ( guess its called
bumping) . didn't look to bad and is still working. problem getting a good ground. ended up putting a bolt through the hole
that he drilled in it and connecting to that. definitely not something i would like to do all day. very slow.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Warrenh
    Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

We have a new guy we just hired and I had him making passable anodized welds in 30 minutes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
TIGTK

Definitely didn’t skimp on the hardware that’s for sure. Thanks
for the advice fellas. I may waste a lot of material learning but I’m
already hooked. Welding aluminum is good therapy !