Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
bass.warrior
    Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:26 am

Other than the obvious cost difference, what are the advantages/disadvantages between the
Everlast Digital and Analog tig/stick welders.
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

bass.warrior wrote:Other than the obvious cost difference, what are the advantages/disadvantages between the
Everlast Digital and Analog tig/stick welders.
I think the difference is more in the control panel, and the features it exposes, than the inverter electronics on the business end of the welder.
E.g., ability to set start Amps, end Amps, slope duration on 2T/4T. The digital controls also have like 10 memory settings, and DC polarity is a panel selector, not a cable swap.

I'd be interested in hearing what other folks see. Personally, I just picked up a 210 EXT, which is a digital panel. I like how clean the controls and user interface are vs. having lots of knobs. That isn't worth a $600 cost differential, but I got a great deal on it.

Cheers,
Richard
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I have a PowerTig250EX. I like being able to see at a glance where everything is set at. Granted, it's a guessing game as far as actual numbers go on pulse and the like, but the amperage readout is digital. We welded with SyncroWave 200's at school when I got into Fab, but I never really messed with any of the other settings, I was too busy making money welding everyone elses Aluminum projects for them :lol:

Seriously though, I like the knobs, but I feel like after using one of the EXT machines a while it would be a different story, especially if you welded similar materials all the time (in reference to the savable settings.) You could just figure out a baseline for CroMoly, Stainless, Aluminum, and whatever else, and then just tweak it from there.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
NITROTRIP
    Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:48 pm

Afternoon All,
Here's how I see it. I started to Heli-Arc in 1976(didn't hear TIG much then)
I'm a Old Grey Guy' Retired. OGG'R for you guy's with less miles. :) Picked
up a 250EX analog about 6 months ago and am on my 3rd 330cf cyl of argon.
Mostly 180to max amp output. New car smell did not last long. My main machine
is a A/BP 330 Miller I picked up in 1980. EXELENT machine that little 250EX.
I also like 2 seconds to see all my settings at a glance. I don't like stepping thru
menu's like a cell phone. Come to think of it my cell phone needs a rotary dial!
If you are off 5% on your hz setting with an analog machine>so what< The skill
behind the helmet is way more important. 5% off on each of your 3 pulse settings
is the same thing, Skill trumps exact setting. To many new guy's get wrapped
around 43%this to 57% that and worry about exact setting before learning to
realy build there skill. Where digital realy shines is with robotics. And yes the
Power TIG series is making inroads in that area from what I here. The latest
version is showing itself as very tough. And can hold it's own. If that were not true
I would have burned mine up already as I am running it along side my A/bp330.
If you like menu's go digital, if you like pot's or dials go analog. I can't say how
tough the digitals are but my analog has proven bomb proof so far. I got tired
of waiting on Miller to come out with there medium size Dynasty as the 200 was
to small and I don't regret this everlast for a second.
Sorry got a little long winded.
Take care,
RICK
DSL power
    Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:39 pm

I'm not totally sertain but the digitals have several different wave forms and some have more adjustability in pre flow and post flow as well. The 250 has a lot of options for an analog machine though. I will stick with my 255 ext though!
Miller Trailblazer 302 EFI
Suitcase Extreme 8VS
ThermalArc Cutmaster 52
Everlast Power I-TIG 255EXT