Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
NITROTRIP
    Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:48 pm

Hi All,
I need some opinions on using a inverter machine for some carbon Air Arc gouging.
Not interested in this brand will that brand won't. I don't have my SA 200 pipeliner
anymore as that would be my first choice. I have about 8 to 10 feet of weld to
gouge, remove plate and replace.
Welder specs are, 200amp duty cycle 100% --250amp 60%
The carbon copper clad rods I have are 3/16 and 5/32
I think I can get by with around 160 to 180amps.
I posted here as this is a Inverter TIG machine and this is the highest posted section.
And lots of real welders here with lots of arc time under there helmet.
I have been welding as a main trade starting in 1977 but not heavy for the last 10yrs.
So the machine in question is 6 months old I picked up new and don't want to try
something that is not good for inverters and might be hard on the boards ect. As they
are new to me.

Thank You for your help,
Rick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Ouch!

Tough spot...

I wouldn't arc-gouge with my own equipment if it were less than 100% at 300A.

Actually, I'm not sure I'd arc-gouge with an inverter, at all... All that digital circuitry...

I've tried arc-gouging with 3/16 rods on a 250A lincoln generator.... That's the absolute minimum I'll ever try again, and it was frustrating as hell.

Give me the right machine, and I'll carve the spatter off your wedding band. Don't waste your time with an underpowered rig.

Steve S
NITROTRIP
    Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:48 pm

Hi Otto,
I know I am on the edge for power. I can work around that. What I need to
know is how a IGBT inverter will handle a carbon arc? IE the electronics?
Compared to a transformer machine. I don't want to damage it. I can also
stay under the duty cycle. I don't want to drive over 100miles one way to
rent a machine if I am able to do it with what I have.
Ideal amperage, no. Able to do it with the output I have, yes. Damage the
machine trying, that is the question. If this is not a job inverters are rated
for I don't want to risk damage.

Thank You all,
Rick

Rick,

You'll want to stay strictly within the duty-cycle of your machine.

It can do it, but don't push it. I doubt your customer will want to protect your machine investment...

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

NITROTRIP wrote:Hi All,
I need some opinions on using a inverter machine for some carbon Air Arc gouging.
Not interested in this brand will that brand won't. I don't have my SA 200 pipeliner
anymore as that would be my first choice. I have about 8 to 10 feet of weld to
gouge, remove plate and replace.
Welder specs are, 200amp duty cycle 100% --250amp 60%
The carbon copper clad rods I have are 3/16 and 5/32
I think I can get by with around 160 to 180amps.
I posted here as this is a Inverter TIG machine and this is the highest posted section.
And lots of real welders here with lots of arc time under there helmet.
I have been welding as a main trade starting in 1977 but not heavy for the last 10yrs.
So the machine in question is 6 months old I picked up new and don't want to try
something that is not good for inverters and might be hard on the boards ect. As they
are new to me.

Thank You for your help,
Rick
Rick,
Your machine will and can air arc. I have air arced ALOT off of inverters with absolutely no recourse. This is not to say that you will never have any problems. Your amperage range for your rods is 90-150 amps for the 5/32" and 200-250 amps for the 3/16". Personally I would stick with the 5/32" and do not run the machine to much. Set your machine around the 150 amps and see how it goes. Keep us informed.
Steve, I have some spatter on my ring now, can I ship it to you and get it removed :D
-Jonathan
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

@Jonathan,
I can't add to the conversation about airarc with an inverter, but I will say that I personally wouldn't trust Steve with my wedding ring because he might hock it for premium beer.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Braehill wrote:@Jonathan,
I can't add to the conversation about airarc with an inverter, but I will say that I personally wouldn't trust Steve with my wedding ring because he might hock it for premium beer.

Len
It's so nice to feel "understood"... :D

I've air-arced off a syncrowave 250DX with good results, but my boss won't let me do it (he's afraid I'll break it). The 250DX does 310A, though.

I've tried to air-arc off a 250A lincoln gas generator... bad results. The 3/16 rods would "almost" cut a weld.

Steve S

Here is some reading material for you before you begin.
http://victortechnologies.com/index.php ... guide.html
Try this link
-Jonathan
Last edited by Superiorwelding on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

links broke.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I air arc some off my Invertec 275 maxed out.
1/4 inch rod.
275amps.
Did a decent job.

Only had two big filets.

I had a 60gal air compressor so I didn't work the welder hard, because I didn't have enough cfm.

My two cents.
Personally,
I would use an Inverter, within its capabilities, to do some CAC.

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
tradetek
    Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:05 pm

So while lusting after a Hypertherm Powermax 30, I stumbled across this whole carbon arc gouging process and saw that there was a special stinger for it that has air holes in it to direct the compressed air down the rod.

But... couldn't you just take an air blow gun from the compressor and direct it down the length of the rod? Or will that just be a bad idea?

Bill
Lincoln Electric v155s with TIG pack (lift start)
Lincoln Electic Viking 3350 Helmet

One father's love for his autistic son... http://www.inmyimage.com

I suppose that's possible,

but an arc-gouging torch directs the air rather presicely.

There's a method to the madness...

It would be complicated to control the carbon-arc torch with one hand and the air with the other, when the torch puts both functions in one hand...

Steve S

tradetek wrote:So while lusting after a Hypertherm Powermax 30, I stumbled across this whole carbon arc gouging process and saw that there was a special stinger for it that has air holes in it to direct the compressed air down the rod.

But... couldn't you just take an air blow gun from the compressor and direct it down the length of the rod? Or will that just be a bad idea?

Bill
Bill,
I have considered this in the past. I believe it could work in a pinch but wouldn't want to do it all the time. I have used 6011 and 7018 turned up to 200-250 amps to use as a gouging/piercing rod with success, but on sheet metal.

Rick,
If you have access to a plasma cutter, you can get gouging tips for it or even gouging tips for your torch. Just a thought.
-Jonathan
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

@tradetek,
Actually what you're suggesting is what led to the invention of the Arcair in the 1940's. The gentleman that invented it saw what a pain in the ass it was to use a separate air line to blow away the molten metal and came up with what we use today. It's all in the beginning of their web site.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Braehill wrote:@tradetek,
Actually what you're suggesting is what led to the invention of the Arcair in the 1940's. The gentleman that invented it saw what a pain in the ass it was to use a separate air line to blow away the molten metal and came up with what we use today. It's all in the beginning of their web site.

Len
Len,
I learned something new today!
-Jonathan

Superiorwelding wrote:
Braehill wrote:@tradetek,

Len
Len,
I learned something new today!
-Jonathan
So did I! I didn't realize what the OP suggested was the problem that lead to the arcair solution...
Makes way too much sense.
:oops:

Steve S
tradetek
    Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:05 pm

That's me... always a day late and a dollar short.

That being said... my point was really for the odd job every now and again vs someone doing it consistently enough to warrant spending bucks on the special rod holder.

Bill
Lincoln Electric v155s with TIG pack (lift start)
Lincoln Electic Viking 3350 Helmet

One father's love for his autistic son... http://www.inmyimage.com

tradetek wrote:That's me... always a day late and a dollar short.

That being said... my point was really for the odd job every now and again vs someone doing it consistently enough to warrant spending bucks on the special rod holder.

Bill
Well, I think the path of this thread makes it pretty clear it was "once done that way", so go for it...

Be a good time to have a helper?

Steve S
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

With a little " redneck " engineering it would be possible to alter a cheap blowgun to clamp / jubilee clip onto a stinger & use some 1/8" copper brake pipe to create a nozzle facing down the electrode - I always intended to add a extension tube to my Flair torch to allow better use of air when only a smaller compressor is available as the amount of air used is quite wasteful & needs a big CFM even on the smaller torches.