Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Metal Fabricator
    Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:16 am

I have been using rv antifreeze in my tig cooler for my Miller Dialarc HF-P since I bought it. I bought it from a Miller dealer slightly used. I think it was a year old and the guy that bought it never used it. Anyway the dealer said the guy that bought it new put rv antifreeze in it. When I asked him if I should change it out he said he couldn't think of any reason that it shouldn't work just fine. I have changed it out for new every other year for about 20 plus years and never had any problems with it. After reading some of the other posts about tig cooler antifreeze I'm wondering if I should change it out to something like miller sells. It has Never had auto antifreeze in it as I know that it will conduct electricity but I have never heard anything bad about rv antifreeze. What are your thoughts on this?
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I had used it previously, but now I use TIG cooler-specific coolant. This topic will likey never die and will always be in constant scrutiny just like he 4130 chromoly threads. :lol:
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

There are lots of different kinds of antifreeze out there. If certain kinds get mixed there can be problems ranging from gelling to acidity. If you switch kinds make sure it's comparable or flush it out with a cleaner like TSP mixed with water. Most of them that are marketed for a specific application like a tig cooler will have corrosion inhibitors added to them.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Asked and answered,your on your own..

and it goes on, my home made cooler has had 50/50 green AF since 1982,same torch,coolant never changed,only added. The flames and opinions are as bad as presidential campaigns.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)

rick9345 wrote:Asked and answered,your on your own..
Agreed
rick9345 wrote: and it goes on,... The flames and opinions are as bad as presidential campaigns.
And those are only every four years!
Richard
Website
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Metal Fab,
Here's a link to a post where I did the testing of the different choices you will have. I've used most every one of them and have had little ill effects. Others tell of horror stories from using other than low conductivity coolant but my experience tells me different. It's not a huge investment for a normal sized cooler either way.

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... nductivity

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Sandow
    Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:52 pm

I'm making a home-brew cooler and was just going to use water wetter. Much better heat transfer than antifreeze and I don't really expect to ever have it hit the freezing point so all I really want is corrosion and biological inhibition.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-80204-Wa ... ter+wetter

-Sandow
Red-hot iron, white-hot iron, cold-black iron; an iron taste, an iron smell, and a babel of iron sounds.
-Charles Dickens
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

i run miller coolant in my welders and RV coolant in my RV
buts thats just how i am.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Tom Osselton
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 am

Buddy at liquid air said just to use premixed antifreeze in my cooler.