Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Least honorable
    Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 pm

hello, this might be a long read so i apologize in advance. so here it goes, i got a flexloc 150 tig torch and a kit to come with is as seen here:
cksck-2348__1__16246.1450888183.1280.1280.jpg
cksck-2348__1__16246.1450888183.1280.1280.jpg (48.01 KiB) Viewed 1480 times
i saw a few videos on the subject of tig consumables but none hitting the questions i have to pose, if you find one feel free to link it :D

i know the basics of these items like what cups with what heat shield and stuff and their fitup, but i came across a few things that just left me scratching my head ( ill number the questions to make it easier on you guys if u got answers to some but not all, or whatever the case is)

1: i understand the small cups that you use a stubby gas lens for, (the ones in the compartment with 5 of them) and i also understand the #12, for bigger, better gas coverage, but why is there a #6,4,and 8 cup that fits with the much larger gas lens? at first i thought for better coverage, but the opening of the gas is the same, so wouldn't that not change anything?,

2: which cup would you reccomend for each individual: aluminum, mild steel, and stainless? (size 1/16 and 3/32 tungsten) i heard the #8 is great for general purpose carbon steel

3: what would make you chose lets say, a #6 cup over a #8 when theres such little difference?

4: im fairly confused about the collets, it comes with 8 collets (As seen in the picture, 6 top middle, and 2 middle left) not sure how to describe it, but some collets seem damn near the same, except just a tad shorter, others from different materials which i assume is one withstands more heat than the other, but im probably completely wrong. and some have a slit on each side which i read on, and is supposed to keep the tungsten in there tighter (?), im aware theres 2 of each for both 3/32 and 1/16 tungsten, i just dont know when to use 1 collet versus the other, does it just match the size of your back cap and thats the only deciding factor between the 3 different kinds that i have?

5:why would i ever want to go back to the normal collet bodies (without the gas lens) if i have the gas lens? any use for them

6: what are the accessories above the alumina cups(pink), theyre so small, is it to go with the alumina cups? it seems they screw into each other,(the bigger threaded piece into the tiny collet body) but im not too sure, when i get to it on friday ill play around with all the different things

7:what are the things that look like half of collet bodies bellow the heat shield in long row on the left? seems like it would go with the tiny cups aswell but not too sure.

8: do you have any tips relating to these accessories or tig in general that wasnt mentioned in these questions?

once again, sorry for another long read, but i really appreciate your help guys, means a lot for you to help out a new guy to tig

thank you very much

regards
noah
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

The screen in the brass part of the gas lense is what gives the good gas coverage. The opening on the cup determines how wide of an area you cover. The smaller cup sizes are for use on open root pipe welds to get the cup down inside the bevel. Or on inside corners where you need to get in close.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
taylorkh
    Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 am

Hello noah,

Have a look at the CK web site http://www.ckworldwide.com/130-150-amps ... 84%A2.html and click on the consumables link for the torch. That will bring up some pictures showing what goes with what. CK's part numbering is different from everyone else on the planet. When you need to purchase additional consumables look for bits and pieces for a standard WP17 torch. The only things different on my Flexloc 150 are the white heat shield gaskets AND the cable attachment. It is METRIC! I do not know why and the fellow I spoke to at CK could not tell me why. But you can't screw the Flexloc torch onto a standard cable (hose). I think there may be an adapter available.

Here is a Rosetta stone from CK to the rest of the world:

CK 2 Seres = WP9 family AKA 13N consumables 130 amp torch
CK 3 Seres = WP17 family AKA 10N consumables 150 amp torch

1) The smaller nozzle outlet concentrates the shielding gas on the puddle and uses less gas. As to the #12... It might be handy for a case where you need a LONG stickout. There are better options as Jody has shown in his videos. It might be useful if you are welding something like titanium which is very sensitive to oxidation. I have a couple of the large gas lenses just because I though I should have one in my kit. I do not use them. I makes the torch about as agile as a carpenter's hammer.

2) I saw a relevant answer on an air gun site. The question related to the need for testing pellets for accuracy. The best advise was to shoot 20,000 pellets first. They you will be good enough to need to test your pellets. The point is... try different ones and see what works for you. Subscribe to Jody's email and watch the video each week. Try what he is using and see how you like it. WARNING: This can be dangerous to your wallet!

I started out with standard collet bodies as I got the impression from the instructor at the local Community College welding program that gas lenses were exotic and expensive - and they did not have any in the shop. When I purchased my first TIG welder that is what I used. Then I discovered that gas lenses are not that expensive and I accumulated a selection of medium and large gas lens bodies for my WP17 torch. Then I watched Jody's videos where he used the stubby gas lenses. Now that is what I generally use (With my Dynasty 200 DX which I purchased after seeing Jody demonstrating the virtues of pulse). Glad this is just a hobby and I do not have to cost justify my toys.

3) Same answer as 2.

4) I think CK or perhaps Arc Zone (a big CK retailer) make a collet which presses the tungsten against the side of the collet body rather than pinching it like a normal collet. Can't recall the name of the fancy collet at the moment. If the mystery collets are not split down the sides and have a diagonal cut end that might be what you have.

5) If you look at the videos with Roy Crumrine doing aluminium, he seems to like a standard collet body. My reason for using standard collet bodies rather than gas lenses... if the material is not as clean as I would like it to be it will invariably blow metal spatter into the gas lens screen. Especially if the gas lens is brand new :-(

The downside to the stubby gas lenses seems to be a matter of heat dissipation. A standard collet body or a medium gas lens will not heat up near as fast as a stubby - especially when you are pushing the capacity limit on a gas cooled torch.

6 and 7) Do you have two heads for the torch? The Flexloc can be setup for WP17 size or WP9 size consumables. Same flex handle - just change the head. The smaller bits you have look to be WP9 size. The items in the second down bin on the left appear to be WP17 size stubby gas lenses. These use the same cups and collets as the WP9 size torch. The little reddish pieces appear to be WP9 size SHORT collet bodies (see the diagram on the CK page linked at the top of this post.)

8) Watch the videos, take classes if you have the opportunity, practice and experiment.

Ken
Least honorable

taylorkh wrote: 6 and 7) Do you have two heads for the torch? The Flexloc can be setup for WP17 size or WP9 size consumables. Same flex handle - just change the head. The smaller bits you have look to be WP9 size. The items in the second down bin on the left appear to be WP17 size stubby gas lenses. These use the same cups and collets as the WP9 size torch. The little reddish pieces appear to be WP9 size SHORT collet bodies (see the diagram on the CK page linked at the top of this post.)

8) Watch the videos, take classes if you have the opportunity, practice and experiment.

Ken

thanks for your help! im currently 4-5months in my 16 month trade welding school,getting my own tig welder as it is the last process we do and i would like to be ahead of the crowd. The set comes with 1extra wp9 size and 1 extra wp17 size torch head kinda forgot about it, but now that you mention it it makes prefect sense that the smaller bits are with the wp9 torch head

regards

noah
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Not only are the "smaller parts" for the wp-9 torch, they are usually also specific onto themselves, IE: you can't use a Large collet body for a wp-9 and use the standard collet for a wp-9, the collet will be too short. Wait until you actually have these things in your hand and you will see what is what.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

Is it too late to return the kit? I fear a lot of that will go unused. I know I am only a sample size of one, but I only use small gas lenses and wedge collets for 1/16" and 3/32" tungsten, #6 and #8 cups for most work (6 when I want to save a little gas), and then a Toxicfab 12 for stainless and when I want to waste gas and make steel look pretty, and a Toxicfab 14 for titanium. If I were to do it over, I'd get the Furick 12 and 14 instead though. Both the Toxic and Furick go over a small gas lens, so fewer consumables to have around. And the large gas lens and 12 cup makes the torch quite a bit longer and larger diameter.

Sorry to be a wet blanket. The trouble with those huge kits is a lot goes unused. I just think we might be able to help you get more of what you need and less of what you might not.
Least honorable

zank wrote: Sorry to be a wet blanket. The trouble with those huge kits is a lot goes unused. I just think we might be able to help you get more of what you need and less of what you might not.
No issues, appreciate your input but I am planning on keeping the kit to get used to a bunch of different cups, all I have are 2 of each gas lens and collet 1 for 3/32 and 1 for 1/16, and I'm planning on playing around with all the sizes of the cups to get used to each one of them. I'll be welding mainly stainless, mild steel and aluminum and I want to get a feel for each cup on each material, any thoughts on that? That being said.I am open to get some more accessories later.

Regards

Noah
chillrich
    Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:47 am

Sandow
    Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:52 pm

That is a head for a very specific CK worldwide torch, not a part for normal torch.

-Sandow
Red-hot iron, white-hot iron, cold-black iron; an iron taste, an iron smell, and a babel of iron sounds.
-Charles Dickens
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

I actually got a very useful gas lens kit from Eastwood, (sorry Jody) that has collets for 1/16, and 3/32 2 each long and short caps and #6 and #8 cups 2 each again. And for very little money. My needs are met for my #17 torch. No extra stuff to deal with.
Least honorable

bruce991 wrote:I actually got a very useful gas lens kit from Eastwood, (sorry Jody) that has collets for 1/16, and 3/32 2 each long and short caps and #6 and #8 cups 2 each again. And for very little money. My needs are met for my #17 torch. No extra stuff to deal with.
that sounds good, i got this cuz i figured i will use it all other than maybe he micro welding kit (teenie tiny pink cups) because i might just do #4 cup for 30thousandths sheet metal, and i need the bigger cups for stainless and other stuff, because i plan on holding onto this guy for a good while, and get some work if so possible later on, so i might aswell be ready for what
comes my way .

noah