What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
tricklidz1
    Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:50 pm

I'd like to design and tig stands. What tube should I use? I'd like good looks and low costs. Anyone made these? Got plans or where to get supplies, etc?
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

tricklidz1 wrote:I'd like to design and tig stands. What tube should I use? I'd like good looks and low costs. Anyone made these? Got plans or where to get supplies, etc?
Ummm...howdy. What type of stand are you wanting to build? For what brand? What material are you wanting to use? Where do you live? How much experience do you have a welding and fabrication? Stop by the new member introduction and let us know a bit about yourself and then you may get the answers your looking for. Welcome.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Hey tricklidz, and welcome.

Yeah...more info, please!

I'm a noob welder and motorcycle racer so this is a priority of mine, too. I am just now finishing my first race/paddock stand that was built....from an old steel tube chair my wife was throwing out! It is not particularly pretty but it has taught me more than any other project I have welded so far.

Here's a pic (Magpie was my QA guy.)

As soon as I complete this one, I am going to set about building another in square aluminium tube.

Kym
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Tricklidz1,
You're questions will lead to more questions than answers as you can already tell. In order to help you we will need a lot more information than you've provided and you'll need to be more specific in your questions. There are a million different questions about each type of base metal, filler rod, joint configuration, metallurgy, just to name a few.

As far as design ideas go, these should be coming from you, you said you want to design and weld these stands. We can answer almost any question about welding and fabrication if it's presented to us in an answerable fashion. Be more specific on what you need to know and come back with your questions.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

dirt bike stand, dirt bike lift stand, road bike stand etc...
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
VincenzioVonHook
    Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:35 pm

I swear you guys get off on asking for excess information. Every time i see a post where someone is asking about basic materials, along come the technical crew wanting loads, filler info, process, joint type and so on.

Most of the time it is not needed. I asked my neighbor if i should use 1.6mm or 2mm rhs for my workbench. Sadly he is one of the "what process, what rod, what material, what is it rated for, how are you going to weld the joints, its not that simple, what machine" "That question is unanswerable" "you have left out all the important info" "how am I supposed to help if i don;t know the tensile strength?"

I would have just said 1.6mm 35x35 for a light duty bench. Its strong enough if built right, but no, he wanted to get all righteous.

We get it guys, welding can be technical, but sometimes we just want an opinion, not clear cut science. Its that bad now, when you ask what rods you should use for 2mm steel rhs, you get asked where you live, how many children you have, whether your stove is gas and finally how long you have held your breath under water. Where i just would have said 70A with 3/32 6013. Simple
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

A motorcycle stand can HURT you, and/or damage your cycle if done wrong.

Yes, we want some details. We want you to build the best stand you can with the machine(s) and material(s) you have available. Is that too much to ask?

We are not e-how.com... We're people who do this out of love of the craft.

Steve S

It's not in our nature to do anything "half-way"

By the way, VonHook,

This is not and was not your topic.

Why do you feel so compelled to express yourself in it?

Threadjack?
VincenzioVonHook

Otto Nobedder wrote:It's not in our nature to do anything "half-way"
Ha, I only work to the highest quality mate, i just find to easier to make recommendations in general before waiting for a work sheet that doesn't exist before I help someone. Normally people don't know what the load is, or what position the welds are going to be pulled yet, and that's why they are asking here!!!

Im always the one that helps out all the customers who have no idea, or the apprentices (because everyone else pulls the "come back when you know what material, process, load, joint type and position.................)
VincenzioVonHook

Otto Nobedder wrote:By the way, VanHook,

This is not and was not your topic.

Why do you feel so compelled to express yourself in it?

Threadjack?
Im pretty sure its called freedom of speech? I thought it was fundamental to society? Im not assaulting anyone verbally! I just find it funny how in depth people go, or how stand offish people are when they aren't provided with information to their standards. Awesome work can be achieved with basic principles. Im pretty sure my uneducated ass can prove that lol.

I doubt that one in 500 people here have ever asked about moments and loads.

We do get a bit technical, but rarely extend into structural engineering.

Steve S

Also, the OP has not replied.

This was HIS topic.

Steve S
VincenzioVonHook

Otto Nobedder wrote:Also, the OP has not replied.

This was HIS topic.

Steve S
I get people having conversations all the time in my threads. It doesn't cause anybody to burst into convulsions.

About three minutes ago, I thought to myself, "Perhaps I should apologize for being a bit 'bitchy'." That feeling has passed.

Steve S
VincenzioVonHook

Otto Nobedder wrote:About three minutes ago, I thought to myself, "Perhaps I should apologize for being a bit 'bitchy'. That feeling has passed.

Steve S
Ha love it! Tell it how it is. You should have used the "and not a single f*** was to be given that day"

Okay, if I were on "tapatalk" I'd like that post...
I think we can agree to disagree, or perhaps to agree to agree.
You have a sense of humor I can appreciate.

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

VVH,
Ten posts of banter and you still haven't answered a single question. Where's he going to get his supplies? What material is he going to use? What rod should he use? What plans should he follow?

I don't know, maybe he should just use 3/32" 6013 for his 25mm Aluminum square tube that he bought at Kroger's.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
VincenzioVonHook

To the OP though, sorry for being a complete ass. On a lighter note I have a few stands here (front and rear varieties) and they all use what looks to be 1.6mm tubing (steel), around 1" or 1.5" in dia. They are simple and hold up to 150kg per end.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/35 ... rear-stand

This is the rear to give you an idea of what thin gauge tubing can withstand. I'd Say something like this in design but out of 30x30x2mm would be bombproof and cheap . I get my lengths of 30x30x2mm (8m painted) for $22 Australian (not sure how much that would be) single, or $18 in lots of 10. Its pretty handy stuff as it can be used for work benches and cheapo handrails as well.

Im no master fabricator though (I make trailers for god's sake), but workbenches made up out of 30x30x2 can hold two ls1 V'8's and me at 110kg...(1600x900 bench) and it only cost me $44 for the frame (with 2700 offcut left) and $50 for the 1750x1000x5mm plate on top. Something like this would cost 10-12 steel for the frame and could come in mighty handy.

My Center stand is just 4 upright pieces of 30x30x2 with a 300x300x4 plate on top and 4 pieces of angle about 100mm from the bottom for support. Pulled the stel out of the bin. Are you just looking for cheap and usable gear? Or is presentation a factor. I basically use 30x30x2 for most of my small projects as it is cheap and durable. Design is probably more important than material thickness. (I have built a few workbenches out of 1.55mm gal and they were rock solid (2500x1000) and light.
Last edited by VincenzioVonHook on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VincenzioVonHook

Braehill wrote:VVH,
Ten posts of banter and you still haven't answered a single question. Where's he going to get his supplies? What material is he going to use? What rod should he use? What plans should he follow?

I don't know, maybe he should just use 3/32" 6013 for his 25mm Aluminum square tube that he bought at Kroger's.

Len
I was going to suggest a 5/32 6010 for his 25x25 AL, but you might be onto something here, i was wondering why i was getting undercut.......im off to the shed