What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Angusbass
    Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:49 pm

I'd like to make an extension cord for my welder. I was told that I couldn't make an extension bigger than 4ft. What the longest I can make a 220 extension? I need about 75-100ft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Angusbass wrote:I'd like to make an extension cord for my welder. I was told that I couldn't make an extension bigger than 4ft. What the longest I can make a 220 extension? I need about 75-100ft.

That 4 feet is boloney.
I use 60 feet on occasion.
What welder you got, and what outlet you running? (amps voltage)
Get some heavy cord and a male and female plug that fits your welder and your outlet on the wall.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

angusbass,
I often run up to 200' of extension cord on an old transformer welder. Granted it's #2 wire and needs a crane to carry it around. If you make up a cord just make sure the wire gauge is rated for the amps you need at the length you're making it. There are charts all over the internet to tell what size wire to buy.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I recently built a 220 extension cord 100' long. I looked at the "Max In-rush current" of the machine I was powering, which was 20.4A. Sustained maximum current was closer to 18A

Checking the wire charts, I chose a 10/3 stranded wire rated at 600v. 30A is the extreme maximum for this wire at that length, so it's adequate. I put it in a 30A circuit, and used NEMA 6-30 plugs and receptacles. This was for an Everlast PowerMig250, and I used it for many hours in this configuration. The machine shut down for duty-cycle without the cord ever getting even a bit warm.

Steve S
Angusbass

Nice! Thanks for the info. Guy was pulling my leg. Headed to Home Depot!

bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Yes same here using 10-4 S/O cord, around 25 feet long, just cut off the fourth conductor. Running a Everlast 160 STH on a 30 amp fused circuit through NEMA 6-50 plugs and fed to the fixed plug in shop with #8 bonded to a earth ground rod at the sub panel in the event I am in a puddle of water. I put cord strain reliefs on my cord ends as I do drag it around a bit. As a side note if you look at many welders the inverter type like mine has a #12 cord which to me is medium duty.
gnuuser
    Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:10 pm

while a transformer type welder will do ok on an extension cord you need to be careful with any type that has electronic controls.
calculate the voltage drop per length as any conductor has a specific resistance.
when making extension cords its better for your welder is your cord is on the heavy side of the scale.
but keep in mind that using an extension cord may void warranties on your machines.
heres a site that might help
http://www.cirris.com/learning-center/c ... ator-table

and another
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/wiri ... tance.html
shooting the $#!t is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (more splatter);)
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Our shop uses 10-4 so cord for the welders. I have personally welded off of a miller dynasty that was on 200 ft of cord at 460 volts 3 phz. And then had 100 + ft of lead stretched out. With no issues.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Angusbass

Ok. I got 125ft of 10/4. Made myself 100ft and a 25ft extension. Runs great!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455598485.746972.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455598485.746972.jpg (271.04 KiB) Viewed 2042 times

Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

Does the owner's manual for that welder have a section for what the manufacturer recommends?

For example, this is what is in my Miller Dynasty 200 Owner's Manual. I have my machine connected to single-phase 230V AC.

Single-Phase, 60% Duty Cycle

Input Voltage (V): 230
Input Amperes (A) At Rated Output: 20

Max Recommended Standard Fuse Rating In Amperes(1)
Time Delay Fuses(2): 25
Normal Operating Fuses(3): 30

Min Input Conductor Size In AWG(4): 12
Max Recommended Input Conductor Length In Feet (Meters): 79 (24)
Min Grounding Conductor Size In AWG(4): 12

Reference: 2008 National Electrical Code (NEC) (including article 630)
(1) If a circuit breaker is used in place of a fuse, choose a circuit breaker with time-current curves comparable to the recommended fuse.
(2) “Time-Delay” fuses are UL class “RK5” . See UL 248.
(3) “Normal Operating” (general purpose - no intentional delay) fuses are UL class “K5” (up to and including 60 amps), and UL class “H” ( 65 amps and above).
(4) Conductor data in this section specifies conductor size (excluding flexible cord or cable) between the panelboard and the equipment per NEC Table 310.16. If a flexible cord or cable is used, minimum conductor size may increase. See NEC Table 400.5(A) for flexible cord and cable requirements.

dynasty200sd wrote:Does the owner's manual for that welder have a section for what the manufacturer recommends?

For example, this is what is in my Miller Dynasty 200 Owner's Manual. I have my machine connected to single-phase 230V AC.

That jives nicely with what we've discussed. #10 wire has more capacity (and stranded wire has more capacity than solid, due to "surface effect"), so 79 ft. of #12 should translate easily into 100 ft. of #10 stranded. We're in the same range for input amps at rated output.

The thing to watch here when making an extension cord, is the wire type and distance between the fuse/breaker and the outlet. If you've got 25' of #12 solid between your panel and the outlet you're powering the welder from, that current capacity/voltage drop is your rating limit, assuming the extension cord is rated as we've discussed.

In my case, I used 16" of #8 wire to connect the outlet to the panel/breaker, so this was not an issue.

Steve S
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
dynasty200sd wrote:Does the owner's manual for that welder have a section for what the manufacturer recommends?

That jives nicely with what we've discussed. #10 wire has more capacity (and stranded wire has more capacity than solid, due to "surface effect"), so 79 ft. of #12 should translate easily into 100 ft. of #10 stranded. We're in the same range for input amps at rated output.

The thing to watch here when making an extension cord, is the wire type and distance between the fuse/breaker and the outlet. If you've got 25' of #12 solid between your panel and the outlet you're powering the welder from, that current capacity/voltage drop is your rating limit, assuming the extension cord is rated as we've discussed.

In my case, I used 16" of #8 wire to connect the outlet to the panel/breaker, so this was not an issue.

Steve S
If ran on three-phase, the max recommended input conductor length; for 60% duty cycle, 400V is 308 feet; and 60% duty cycle, 460V is 407 feet.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

And having good plugs on the ends is real important too. If you see a cord go into a meltdown it's usually at the plug. I like the twist lock style myself and have switched all my 220 and above over to them.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Poland308 wrote:And having good plugs on the ends is real important too. If you see a cord go into a meltdown it's usually at the plug. I like the twist lock style myself and have switched all my 220 and above over to them.
Agreed. The quality of the connection IS a factor.

In my post, I pointed out using NEMA 6-30 plugs, which are twist-lock.

Steve S