What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
pavetim
    Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:10 pm

Ok I just thought of this. I mad a powder coating oven it has 16ga galvanized skin on the inside, then yellow fiberglass insulation on the inside and then 16ga gal on the outside. Now the problem I really just thought of I have to drill holes from the inside of the oven to the outside for the heating elements. Now i'm worried about the oven element coming into contact with the insulation since it has to go through the entire wall for the wiring. Any ideas on this or think it will be a problem?
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

A tube from Knob and Tube house wiring would make an easy solution, but barring that, you can probably even put something as simple as fiberglass sleeving over the wire where it passes through the walls.

I honestly don't think I'd be so worried about contacting the fiberglass insulation as I would be about shorting against the inner or outer sheet metal.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.

Can't you get an element that has integral feed-through insulators as part of the mounting block?
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

How about an extended style TIG cup as a pass-through insulator? You can likely get a good match to the element size and you know it'll take the heat.

There's no harm in the element contacting the fiberglass, but it would be nice to have isolation between the element and the sheet metal.

Steve S

Alternatively, you could pack the opening with wood stove door seal rope, available at any decent hardware store.

Steve S
pavetim

Thanks guys I actually didn't even think about the shorting on the walls. I just remembered I think I have some header wrap laying around if that stuff withstands the heat of a header it will be fine to wrap the elements where they pass thru the skim

Header wrap is an even better solution, and easier to use. Good thinking.

Steve S
pavetim

I also have that orange high temp silicone tape I know it's good to like 500 degrees but I'm not sure how hot that element gets directly, but we do use it in fittings in our turbo shaft engines in the helicopter. I have a toaster oven so experiment time lol. I am in japan so hard to find stuff and mostly I have to order. I'll try the header wrap just will be a bigger hole. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'd not use the silicone. It's good to about 550* tops, and you want the element to "breathe" a bit anyway, or it will burn through. Don't over-insulate it and completely seal in the heat at the transition or the element may have a short life.

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

pavetim,
Here's a crazy idea, buy 2 tig fingers from Jody's store, straighten them out, and use them.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (9.33 KiB) Viewed 907 times
Get high temp fiberglass insulated wire and keep the element totally on the inside.
I have more questions than answers

Josh