General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
ThatWeldingGuy
    Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:57 pm

Hi all,

Does anybody know of any good sites that compare/ review welding machines? I am looking to buy a new TIG machine, but think it might be worth getting one of the new multi process machines. I've seen the Everlast, Longevity and Thermadyne ones, but haven't really been able to compare them as closely as I would like.

So if anyone knows a site or two they can give me...PLEASE LET ME KNOW!! Or if you have any of these machines let me know how you like it.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi, WeldingGuy,

Have patience, You'll get some reviews and good information here. It's just not a highly active forum. I believe Jody, the site administrator, has reviewed the Everlast. Search on the main page.

I've never used the machines you listed, so I can't personally be of any help.

Steve S
ThatWeldingGuy

Otto Nobedder wrote:Hi, WeldingGuy,

Have patience, You'll get some reviews and good information here. It's just not a highly active forum. I believe Jody, the site administrator, has reviewed the Everlast. Search on the main page.

I've never used the machines you listed, so I can't personally be of any help.

Steve S

I have watched his videos on the Everlast machines. I just wish I could find something that says here is the Everlast next to the Longevity and Thermadyne... Here are the pros and cons of each, and here is which I recommend and why.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey there,

Jody has made a video comparing a number of small tigs. Including Everlast Miller and Lincoln. Check out youtube, there are lots of videos either comparing welders or specific to a brand, which you can then use to glean your own conclusion.

Mick
ThatWeldingGuy

Believe me, I watch Jodys new video just about every week...Great info. Miller and Lincoln are unfortunately out of my price range or I would grab one in no time. I've seen his videos on the Everlast stuff, but have never seen him compare them to something in the same price point (like the Longevity or Thermadyne).

*Jody, if you need a topic for your next video I would love a comparison of a comparable multi process (MIG, TIG, Stick)from Everlast/Longevity/Thermadyne and what you would choose if you were buying one on a budget.*

Mostly hobbyist / weekend garage projects and household repairs
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Try this. I googled "tig welder comparison "

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/show ... hp?t=75426

Mick
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

I am one who has learned and had proven to, time and time again, what my grandpappy always told me. "There is no such thing as a bargain." I'm sorry but, it's almost always the truth. With that said, I opt for older legacy tech that is used. I have two examples. One is my ABP that I bought used from our weld supplier for 800.00 with torch, stinger, foot pedal and Bernard cooler, box of 5356, two boxes of Anchor brand tungsten, and the gas regulator, and which will weld aluminum overhead prettier than the newer machines want to and with almost zero arc wander in just about any situation. The other is my first generation 250 syncrowave. I wouldn't trade either for two of the imports. I have beat these machines at the top of their amp ranges for many years by now, and I mean beat and they were well used when I got them.

No, I don't recommend the ABP (I would the syncrowave though) for everyone or anyone but me. I can make those old dudes sing. Truth is, the prettiest welds I have ever seen were done by these machines in years gone by and the welders that used them.

I can't imagine the cheaper imports holding up to what these beasts have, and they have no sign of giving up anytime soon. I have welded up to 600 linear feet of weld in a week on these. Even the cooling fan motor still sounds like it always has.

Best machine I have ever used for aluminum was the old Miller Aircrafter. They welded quiet and pretty in any position. The only issue was some circuit board problems, which could be refurb'd for pennies on the dollar by local electronics rework outfits. A $400 replacement from Miller could be repaired for about 80 bucks. It was typically a mechanical gas or high frequency relay that would wear out every few years, again, under extreme usage.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.