General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
nrecben
    Tue May 22, 2018 10:05 am

We are doing project welding some 3/8 plate to 3/8 and 1/2 steel plates together, tab and slot, all fillet joints. WE jobbed part of it out and the guy did it all with 6013 stick rod. I was always taught to use dual shield flux core MIG for this sort of thing. Thoughts?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

If you didn’t specify a weld requirement, then what someone uses is optional. 6013 has a tensile strength of 60k, whereas most Flux wire (dual shield too) is 70k. I’d be more interested in penetration than tensile strength as long as the fillet meets the profile. That will tell you whether or not the prep and strength are sufficient.
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

[6013 is use for low penatoin not good for plate
The flux core will do good job of welding 3/8" plate
Try E71T-11

Dave
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

cj737 wrote:........ I’d be more interested in penetration than tensile strength as long as the fillet meets the profile. That will tell you whether or not the prep and strength are sufficient.
that would be an interesting comparison, would like to see cut and etch of them to compare.
jody can you do a video please :D

however i suspect because its tab and slot its not relying on the weld for strength.
tweak it until it breaks
cj737

tweake wrote:
cj737 wrote:........ I’d be more interested in penetration than tensile strength as long as the fillet meets the profile. That will tell you whether or not the prep and strength are sufficient.
that would be an interesting comparison, would like to see cut and etch of them to compare.

however i suspect because its tab and slot its not relying on the weld for strength.
Yeah, don’t get me wrong: I would NOT use 6013 for this. 7018, sure. Flux or Dual Shield, no problem. I’m curious if the guy only had a Stick box, why not use 70 rod?

But as I said, “if you don’t spec the work, you are responsible for the results”. :oops:
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

6013 is an okay rod, I'd say for general fab only. You can get a 4mm one and do a 12mm fillet weld on all 4 sides of a double sided fillet weld. I don't think it would break, but you could definitely find better ways to do it.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

In my opinion, since all he's written is "tab and slot structural," a determination of proper welding process can't really be determined.

Without more information, I'm fine with any rod, or solid wire mig, or any flux wire process.

Tig too :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

cj737 wrote:
tweake wrote:

Yeah, don’t get me wrong: I would NOT use 6013 for this. 7018, sure. Flux or Dual Shield, no problem. I’m curious if the guy only had a Stick box, why not use 70 rod?

But as I said, “if you don’t spec the work, you are responsible for the results”. :oops:
I agree 7018 is a better rod but most welders can not use 7018
6013 will do job for some can not use 7018

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

smithdoor wrote:......but most welders can not use 7018
why not?
there is other rods like 7016.
i have some 6013 rc that i find harder to start than 7016.
tweak it until it breaks
cj737

tweake wrote:
smithdoor wrote:......but most welders can not use 7018
why not?
there is other rods like 7016.
i have some 6013 rc that i find harder to start than 7016.
Yeah, no kidding :shock: 7018 almost runs itself in the proper directions.
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

I've seen a few guys who can't run 7018. One guy got thrown off a job site when the foreman came back and saw 6010 stubs everywhere. Just 3/8" steel tie plates on pre-cast walls and floors and it was more grinding than welding with him and 7018.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)