General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Does anyone here have one? Doesn't necessarily have to be a shop dog, but if yours is anything like mine, he's right in the middle of the action on any given day. Mine thinks that my build board is his personal portable porch. He's relentless with securing it, to the point where I could be standing right there and he will not move without being told to do so. This old dog goes everywhere with me and loves everything with wheels, including the forklift. More than one occasion where I have gone to move something and had this critter jump up in it with me. I have never had to raise my voice to him. He is just one of those naturally well behaved animals that you can just look at him and he seemingly knows what to do. He really knows how to work the women with that shameless sad puppy act too.

Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

TamJeff. How does react to the various welding sounds? Alexa
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Awesome! It's great when they take their job as shop counterweght seriously! So much easier than lugging around a bunch of sandbags.

This was my shopdog, Della Rae. She"s where i got my internet handle from. She was more of a delivery dog than a shopdog, her favorite place was my van or a truck cab on deliveries. I think she easily logged over 100,000 miles. I never had to worry about anything getting stolen out of the van either. One time she went after a nosy Canadian Customs guy. He never bothered us again when we went to his booth!

She's been gone about 6 years now and I really miss her, but whenever I'm on a long road trip , I can look over and still see her sitting there.
Attachments
della4.jpg
della4.jpg (187.55 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
TamJeff

Alexa wrote:TamJeff. How does react to the various welding sounds? Alexa
I actually have to make him go away when I weld because he would not look away from the light. The only sounds he doesn't like is thunder or fireworks. The cure for that is turning the stereo up.
TamJeff

delraydella wrote:Awesome! It's great when they take their job as shop counterweght seriously! So much easier than lugging around a bunch of sandbags.

This was my shopdog, Della Rae. . .
You are lucky to have had a loyal friend like that. Mine is near his end these days but he keeps trying and is as enthused as ever so as long as he acts happy to be alive, I will put off the inevitable, unless he passes peaceably. He's 14 now. He started out as shop security but resented being left alone at night and started escaping so the answer was letting him stay at my house. . .

You are right about the counterweight. . .lol. ..It never occurred to be that this is likely his version of being helpful!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

He wasn't a shop dog, but he was one of my favorites!
IMAG0035 (640x480).jpg
IMAG0035 (640x480).jpg (228.39 KiB) Viewed 1048 times

He outweighed me by 15 pounds!

Best dog I ever had was a Chow-Chow.

That dog would shit on command!

He was also my morning alarm clock, and a gentle soul about it. He'd climb on me, and gently pat my face with his right paw.
delraydella

Steve,

Are you sure it was only by 15 pounds?

You have to be careful with dogs and arc light, they will sit and stare at it for hours if you're not careful. I'm not sure why they do it, probably like deer in headlights, they get mesmerized by the bright light. Mine didn't care about what was going on in the shop so she rarely came out of the office until it was time to leave and then she would come out to get me.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
delraydella

This is our shopdog, Gus. He belongs to another guy who works here. Gus's job is to pull the mail through when it comes in the door slot and he does a fine job of it. I used to get funny looks from bank tellers whenever I would deposit checks that had teeth marks in them but now they don't say anything. When he was a puppy, I trained him to follow me around at closing time and bark at the various light switches that needed to be turned off. It was cute when he was about 20 pounds doing it, but now that he's about 95 pounds, it's not that cute anymore.
Attachments
IMG_7589_1_1.JPG
IMG_7589_1_1.JPG (56.42 KiB) Viewed 1010 times