General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

So I was really bored and starting searching YouTube for other welding videos besides Jody's cause I have seen all of them many times and came across this Guy that calls himself Mr tig. Wow I am so glad we have Jody to make videos. That Guy seems very arrogant to call himself Mr tig. Anyone else watched his videos?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

No, but,

It's not unusual to encounter people on the internet who think they're "all that".

Jody never came across that way. He knows what the hell he's doing, and doesn't ever pretend to be what he's not.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

I watched a couple of mr tig vids, on the CK website. On was an cast AL repair. must not of gone too well because they didnt show the finished product. Absolutely no pre weld cleaning, he said the machine will take care of it with a change of the AC balance parameters. Good advice? I dont know. But I think Ill be sticking with jody for the time being. :P

Mick
ajlskater1

Ya I saw that one, he does that a lot from what I can see. Ya I am I found Jody's site first. Mr tig reminds me kindaof a old saying a old timer told me " those can do the job do the job those can't teach". That why I like Jody's videos they are usually actual jobs not just test joints.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

This forum needs a "like" button.
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

That's how I came upon this forum as well. From liking the approach to the videos. A couple reasons actually. One was where in one of the videos telling how you cannot talk to your wife or gfriend about welding. lol The other is where he uses the term, "fusion welding." I have been 'corrected' on internet forums for using shop terminology, "fusion welding" being one of the terms I was corrected on, and by someone without any examples of their own work.

I know I am far from knowing it all. That doesn't bother me in the least. Fortunately, I have gotten to work with others who were the same. Typically, welding is one of the trades that can make a chump out of even the very best on some days, in an industry that individual errors can be humbling as well as expensive. I don't know too many welders who are willing to end up with that kind of egg on their face for being arrogant, at least in the company of other formidable tradesmen.

I really like welding as most of us do even after doing it as a day job. Like I have said here before, if this forum was a shop, it would be a good one.

I have an email with the heading "tigmaster", coined from a jab at a fellow welding student who I have been friends with since for many years and from days when the internet was new. We used to kid back and forth with our so called competitive associations, but deep down, we admittedly knew we were welding retards in the grand scheme of things. My first attempts at 6010 put me in my place forever as far as all things welding are concerned.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
O12LDY
    Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:06 pm

I am pretty sure I happened upon Jody' site ( or videos) the first week that it launched. It was by accident, and my great fortune to find his stuff, and I knew that his presentation, humility, skill, and genuine knowledge/background as a welding expert was WAY above board. If I happen to watch any other "welding video" (which is very rare) I definitely take that info with a grain of sand, as Jody's material is the benchmark for all others to be compared, IMHO. ;)

Be Safe,

Shawn
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Weldin Mike 27.

"... In AC welding, the arc's action when the electrode is positive and the workpiece is negative, called reverse polarity, breaks up the oxide on the surface of the aluminum, making welding much easier.Unfortunately, reverse polarity doesn't provide good weld penetration. While in reverse polarity, much of the arc's energy goes into the tungsten electrode and the welding torch. For this reason, larger-diameter tungsten electrodes and heavier-duty torches, often water-cooled, are needed for AC welding. (...) The cleaning action created by the reverse polarity arc is important, but you do not want to clean more than is necessary, so equipment manufacturers have created a balance control. Found on the front of the machine, the balance knob allows you to adjust the amount of penetration (electrode negative) versus the amount of cleaning (electrode positive). (...) As a rule of thumb, not as much cleaning is needed with high currents as with low currents. Some machines even offer an autobalance feature that has preprogrammed balance based on the current being used. (...) Not only do you need to clean before beginning to weld, but you also should remove the smut or soot between weld passes. This soot is fine particles of aluminum oxide and magnesium oxide. Proper welding techniques will minimize the amount of soot produced. ..."

Source: http://www.thefabricator.com/article/al ... minum-gtaw

Alexa
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Gee thanks for filling me in. :-{[
ajlskater1

You guys should check out his thin aluminum welding one its really funny. He is attempting to weld 0.030 aluminum on a chill fixture" I welded about a 1 inch and got out of position so I stopped to really position ". He doesn't finish to the weld, shoe arc shots or show the little stitch he did. This Guy is actually become entertaining.