General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Chuck
    Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:48 pm

I bought some used 3” sch 80 pipe for a project, I beveled the ends and cleaned inside and out to bright metal then could not get an arc to start to save my life. After about an hour of switching leads, machines etc I discovered everywhere I used the grinder had become very strongly magnetic. Has anyone experienced that or know how to fix it? Ithanks
starvncoyote
    Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:50 pm

I have never had that happen to me, https://www.princeton.edu/ssp/joseph-he ... nt-magnet/ google search says to make steel into a magnet point it north and hit it with a hammer a few times. Cool science trick you got gong on tho.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I seem to recall previous discussion about used pipe from the oil drilling application that was magnetic.
Where did you get your pipe from?

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Chuck
    Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:48 pm

I’m pretty sure it was used for some type of drilling operation. Had big square tapered male threads and female sockets on the other.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Ok
Try doing a history search for drill pipe or whatever it’s called. There was discussion on this issue.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'