General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

Could anyone recommend, a good roll bender?

I want to make a cannon of sorts.

I had round bar. I got 80 3/8 thick, 8 foot long bars and 80 of a thicker size.

I tried using a cheap Harbor Freight tube bender. I mean, it did bend. But, since the thing moves that holds the metal, it was uneven. Also, the two ends were flat. haha Plus, I can only bend to a point.

I do not have an air compressor. So, I could not get one that uses those. I don't want to spend thousands of dollars. I am getting the new Cintiq Pro 32, and Eric Johnson sig. guitar and a Paul Gilbert sig. guitar. haha So, spending less on the bender would be great.

I could make my own I guess. But, just wanted to see what was out there.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Even high end expensive rollers or benders will leave the small part at the end flat.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Glowzinski

That is true. However, I watched a video with Kevin C on youtube. He rolled something, took it out, welded the two ends and them put it back in the machine and rolled again. Thus, making a perfect circle. But, that thing costs thousands of dollars. haha
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

There are several ways you can do the same thing. As long as the roller you have is capable of the bend, it’s just a matter of getting the part back on to the roller after it’s welded. If you just want it close then you can scribe a mark on your roller adjustment to make sure you get it set almost the same as you put it back in/or togeather with the part in it.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Don't know what your budget is, here is some I have looked at, from $ to $$$

Harbor Freight with SWAG enhancements

Pro-Tools

Baileigh

When you look at these they all seem to be the same unit (by design)
Richard
Website
Glowzinski

Thanks for the information.

I like those. They are small.

I am going to try a few things first. haha

I have to get some washers, so the freaking rollers don't move all over the place.
Glowzinski

I just ordered a JET SR-2236 36 inch Slip Roll.

The thing is expensive and huge. haha But, it will allow me to work with bar as well as sheets.

I wonder, can I get different sized link rods? That would allow me to bend sizes other than that with which I can as it comes.

I am going to do a setup video and show myself using it. haha If they sell them on Amazon, I will post it there. If not, youtube it is.

But, I will still need a way to bend the 1/2 inch stuff.