General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Hey ya'll my trusty old Dewalt 5 inch grinder croaked on me. What do you guys recommend for a replacement? is Metabo still the king? i dont want a rear handle style, i want one i can use one handed for a flap disk, and polishing and such. And no paddle switch.

Metabo is a great grinder, whichever one you buy, go with the higher amp model.

Rear handle??
Richard
Website
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

LtBadd wrote:Metabo is a great grinder, whichever one you buy, go with the higher amp model.

Rear handle??
Or is it called a rat tail grinder? :?: the handle and trigger is behind the motor versus holding it basically around the motor. This is more for light work. I have my bigger grinders for the serious stuff.

Saw somewhere Dewalt has a corded brushless model but it’s not available yet I don’t think.

https://youtu.be/Nzrt_T9t6nQ
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

Being a light duty home gamer type I only really need 4.5in grinders. I have a 8.5 A Metabo 9-115 quick paddle style, and a 7 A Milwaukee with the side switch.

The Metabo has a much more balanced motor and operates very smooth. They offer it with the side switch as well for less I believe. The motor balance and smooth operation alone makes it worth buying over the Milwaukee. I typically reach for it over the Milwaukee. The tool-less quick change model really makes it not as critical to have more than one grinder as well. I don't think they offer the trigger until you get into the 5in grinder offerings. Which ever model you get look out for the quick option. Also the 8.5 A was $84 bucks where the 10.5 A was over $200 at the time.

The Milwaukee is just my backup. It gets the job done. Nothing special and it's not as well balanced. Make your hands tingly.
Cheepbeer
    Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:26 pm

I’m a rat tail kind of guy. Got a couple Milwaukee’s that will hit the yard sale next spring.

Mike
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

I was gifted several Bosch grinders by my mentor, as well as a Metabo end grinder. I will try to remember to come back to this thread once I use a few of them and update on how they perform compared to the Milwaukee and Metabo.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Metabo!!!
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737