General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
77cruiser
    Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:27 am

Who's using one of these? Are they that much better? I don't weld much but these old eyes have a hard time seeing where to go.

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... met-257213

I use to have the digital elite, bought maybe 12 years ago. This is a quality hood, plus it has the new Clearlight tech lens.

It could be light years ahead of what you have now, except I don't know what you have :lol:

Can you visit a LWS and try one on, as long as you like the headgear then I think it's a good buy, and be sure to signup for IOC's email newsletter, you'll get $$ off your first order, just be sure to use the promo code they provide.
Richard
Website
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

I use a Titanium 9400I with a Gen 3 headgear, works great.

Their new T94 helmet with Clear Lens is apparently really good, but I doubt the colour hue changing is really THAT much of a game changer.

I like the auto darkening, I've used passive lens but prefer auto dark, some people prefer passive, it's a preference really.

I do recommend getting one with the grinding shield built in, like the T94I or Titanium 9400I, their older version, it makes it much easier to work and you don't have to take the helmet off or risk getting stuff in your eyes.
if there's a welder, there's a way
77cruiser

That one is out of my range for the amount of welding I do.
The one I have now is a Masterforce brand from Menards. No idea who makes it.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Save your money! Put yourself in your he $200. Range. You won’t be sorry, and you will get a helmet that will last 5 to 10 years.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
77cruiser

Are the majority of them China made?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I don’t know for sure but I bet the majority of helmets or the internal components come from China. The name branding will give you a little insurance that it was built to a standard quality.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
GraemeF
    Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:25 pm

I've had quite a few auto-darkening helmets over the years. First one was an ESAB maybe 20 years ago, had a couple of unbranded ones, an expensive Bollé Volt+ one (works great, but comfort isn't the best) and my most recent <and favourite) is the ESAB Sentinel A50. There's lots of adjustment on this one, and it's incredibly comfortable. It rides lower on the head when flipped up than most other helmets, so you're less likely to knock your head on stuff. The grind button is really handy too and there's a flashing indicator inside to remind you that you're in grind mode (shade 4) so that you hopefully won't strike an arc and get flashed.
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

I've got a hand-me-down analog elite that I've used for the last year and a half. It served me well, but the batteries always drained after a month.

I've been doing a ton of research on which new hood I should get as well. I looked at the optrel hoods, the esab hood, and the miller hoods.

For the money the miller can't be beat as of today's pricing. Miller is offering a $50 rebate on the elite so out the door $166 bucks on cyberweld for a decent hood, that I already know I like, is a good deal to me. The elite is pretty light which I the main reason I didn't go with the Infinity.

The esab sentinel looks really awesome, I just read enough reviews about people getting flashed it became a no-go for me. It seems like an awesome hood though and would have been my second choice. Also the fact that the cover lens seems to be non-recessed and gets scratched up real bad.

Finally the Optrel hoods sound awesome as well. A lot of people complain that for the money there is a lack of sensors on the new 2.0 hood. The new cystal 2.0 only has 2 sensors and some folks again complained about getting flashed and since its 2.0 in the light state they we're not exactly happy. A lot of people also love them, and the panaramaxx hood. Really depends on how they got the hood (own money vs company supplied).

If you talk to enough people and read enough reviews the decision will get harder and harder. For every 99 people that have an awesome experience and love their hood, there will be one guy that had terrible luck.

If you have the budget, grab two hoods!

I have the pre clearlight Miller Digital Infinity, it's good except for being somewhat front heavy, I also have the Optrel e684, like it alot, no flashing
Richard
Website