General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
fredygump
    Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:01 pm

I am working on fixing/ improving a tool I use for my job.

The tool is for installing and removing pipe fittings used on underground storage tanks (fill and vapor recovery adapters). It's mostly just a piece of 5" schedule 40 pipe with some notches cut into it, but don't be deceived...it costs $500.

The edges of these notches are getting worn, and I'd like to build them back up with something that is harder than regular mild steel. I need the edges of the tool stay square.

This tool does see a bit of abuse. Often times I end up using a 24" pipe wrench with a 48" cheater bar to loosen these adapters. When that happens, something has got to give, and recently this tool has been losing... The worst is when the tool slips past the tabs it is supposed to be pushing against (because of wear...), and I spend 15min trying to pry the tool off.

What would you do? Is a true hard facing the way to go? Or is there a filler material that is inbetween a mild steel and a hard facing?

I can do either TIG or stick welding. Being that the surfaces are small, I figured TIG is the way to go. But I'm not having much luck finding a hard facing filler for TIG. However, I have seen a couple mentions of using stick electrodes for TIG, first knocking off the flux?

(The other part of the problem is that the tool has some flex. I plan to add a reinforcing ring that goes around the outside of the tool to prevent those notches from spreading. The plan is to use a slice of 6" schedule 80 pipe, with a 13ga (3/32") shim to fill the gap between the two sizes. It's almost a perfect fit--it'll leave just .009" between the outer ring and the tool.)
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Hard facing will only reduce wear on the surface. It won’t change the strength of the base material your working with.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
fredygump
    Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:01 pm

Poland308 wrote:Hard facing will only reduce wear on the surface. It won’t change the strength of the base material your working with.

Huh?? Who said I am trying to increase the strength of the base material?

I think a carbide saw blade is a pretty obvious example of something hard attached to something softer. It is a proven principle.

The question is HOW to do it.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

https://www.esabna.com/euweb/as_handbook/596as11_20.htm

Esab seem to have a number of items capable of steel on steel protection. However, the heat of the welding process will likely damage the steel of your special tool.

Mick

Lincoln, scroll down for their TIG selections
Richard
Website
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I was referring to what mike mentions. Sch 40 5 inch has a wall thickness around.25. If your welding on the edge of the notches to harden the face you will be softening the rest of the tab. Another option would be to have the tool hardened entirely before you use it. There are companies that specialize in these heat treatments. They can just harden the tooth area so that you maintain the malabilty of the upper portion.
I have more questions than answers

Josh