General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
gnabgib
    Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

I needed a short length of channel, 37x40x300mm, and as I had the stainless, decided to TIG it up using some of the pieces I had but the open side has closed up a little so I'll need to wedge it and heat until it's back to correct size. Anything I need to consider re. the heating?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

If you overheat stainless steel it can lead to loss of stainless properties. Best to cold work if possible. As in a hydraulic ram. (porta power)
gnabgib
    Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:If you overheat stainless steel it can lead to loss of stainless properties. Best to cold work if possible. As in a hydraulic ram. (porta power)
Thanks, I take your point about the heating but I don't have access to any sort of press equipment. Only small so possibly clamps and wedges? I suppose if I use heat it would by oxy propane and probably less than the original TIG work.
Also have a stick hot box so maybe clamped up and an hour or 2 in that?

Blocks of wood and wedges will do the job. I don't know what temp the grain boundaries start to mess up, but it's definitely what you would expect for bending thick metal. Someone smarter than me will be along in a little while.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

You can heat it to a dull red no problem. It's only when you get close to melting point that grains can get messed with.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

Thanks Coldman. See. I told you that a smarter person would come along.

Mick
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I'm a fart smeller from way back

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'