General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Wingshot
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:13 am

I'm looking for an inexpensive software package (free would be great) to help with designing welding projects. Something that does 3D, something that when you specify 2" square tubing it draws the same, will draw casters on legs and other finishing touches. Any ideas? Thanks
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

You can download a free trial of Auto cad. That thing is mad and will do everything and more. Hi tech to use but there is also turtorials of it on you tube. Also "Google Sketch Up" is another free one.

Mick
Wingshot
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:13 am

Thanks. I'll check them out!
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

If you want free 3D Software, and it's being used for visual representation and not CAD/CAM,
try TrueSpace. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueSpace

If you can find Version 2 on the internet, it's less complicated and more portable.
TrueSpace is truly photo-realistic. I've been using it since the 'Amiga' computer.

UPDATE: I found Version 2 on the following website.
You have to create a free registration to login.
http://vetusware.com/download/TrueSpace ... 2/?id=8815

I downloaded it, and ran it thru my virus checker. It appears to be legit.
When you try to run the program, it will ask you for a serial number.
This number is included in a file, called serial.txt in the install folder.
(Both Caligari and Microsoft have abandoned this software, so it's free.)
Billbong
    Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:28 am

Hi, the truespace software will only run on old computers....Win XP and earlier etc....it won't run on Win7 or I5 64bit computers.
Ian.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Ian, which version of TrueSpace are you referring to?

I was able to install the latest TrueSpace Version 7.6 on my girlfriend's laptop with Win7. I've noticed that some program installations on the Win7 operating system require you to right click on the install.exe file and select the "install as administrator" option. Then, the install works just fine. BTW - I was the administrator, when it asked me to install as administrator.

I've never tried installing the version 2 on Win7, but I will try it, when I get a chance.
Billbong wrote:Hi, the truespace software will only run on old computers....Win XP and earlier etc....it won't run on Win7 or I5 64bit computers.
Ian.