General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
FromRigstoRiches
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Has anyone considered the welding INSPECTION programs with CWB (In Canada)

I am currently taking the course. It is apparently a good career, at least the money, $50-$75 an hour.

I worked the rigs here in Alberta for about 7 years, and from what I have seen the welding inspection is a much safer job, and almost the same income as a welder, but the course is only two weeks, with an open book test. (I bought the books, and am challenging the test closed book)

That is how I found the videos on youtube, and end up here. From what I see out in the field, Welders and Welding inspectors don't get along very well. I would like to NOT have that problem so it made sense to learn about the process.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

You will never avoid distrust between weldor and inspector.

A weldor's pride will not allow him to admit he didn't do his best.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey there,

I am a full time welder, but i have done some formal welding inspection training. (International Welding Inspector- Basic Level: IWI-B) And i take a great interest in the Inpection process at work. My opinion on welding Inspection is that it works best when both parties can get along amicably and without arrogance( from either party) The best welding inspector I ever had was a guy who was a (a GUN) welder and inspecting at the same time and He would cut a hard line but understood the job implicitly and had empathy for our case. On the other hand the worst one was a bloke who had no people skills and could hardly weld, but that wouldnt stop him telling off like we were little kids.

At the end of the day, even if are not a welder, you can be a good inspector, if you have good knowledge of the codes you are working to, have good people skills and show a little empathy when dealing with welders. Dont forget to carry the big stick because you may need it because, after all the job has to be done to a certain spec, or within a specified limit. So this trumps all, regardless if a welder says he did his best. Just have to find an acceptable way of enforcing the rules.

Mick
quietmale
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:33 pm

although I'm not a welder I did work in a 2 types of quality assurance offices when I was in the us navy and had to understand the process involved the NDT inspector we had in the surface side q/a knew his stuff plus he was a certified welder but he had no real time supervisory skills no matter how book smart he was and that's when you get conflict the aviation side NDI inspectors had great supervisor skills along with great knowledge of welding and I rarely saw problems between the inspector and welders so it goes both ways the person inspecting has to have reasonable people skills when he is inspecting and the welder should understand that some times he isn't putting out his best work all the time it happens to every one and both sides need to communicate with each other :o its amazing how that applies to almost everything we do in life lol
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

FromRagsToRiches.

Earning respect between inspectors and welders going both ways.
A couple three considerations:

The exchange between the two often works better if there are not spectators around ... just the two of them. It reduces the loss of face from either side, because both make errors. Inspectors learn from welders and visa versa.

The borderline of the acceptance criteria is often grey. Both welders and inspectors need to understand this.

Perhaps the most importance aspect is that of anticipating problems. An inspector is worth his weight in gold if he catches the indicators before they develop into concerns. Comments and actions of welders are often valid indicators.

Alexa