General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
red_dragon
    Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:34 pm

Hey all. I'm 31 and currently in the process of enrolling into a welding program at a local community college.

Here is a brief overview of what it offers: [https://www.ucc.edu/continuing-and-prof ... g-program/](https://www.ucc.edu/continuing-and-prof ... g-program/)

I've been looking into different paths a welder can take and am curious to hear how you broke into the industry when you first started out?

If you could share some advice on
-best route to take
-what to avoid
-pros & cons of certain jobs
-tips on getting hired with minimal connections
-union vs non union etc..

I enjoy travel and don't mind moving around. If the money is good and 3,500 miles away, I'm there!
But I don't know how I feel about Alaskan winters, haha! Although SE AK isn't too bad in winter.

If you have any informative online resources in relation to anything welding that would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Best advice I can give you about a new job as a "new tradesperson" is to: Show Up, Shut Up, and Keep up.

Attitude and work ethic will always get you a job, and you will keep that job with these attributes over your skill level. Employers invest a lot of money into hiring and employing, training staff, so it's in their best interest to retain employees who can successfully contribute. That means be there every damn day, even when you have a cold. If work is slow, find something to clean, straighten, or put away. Taking notice of the environment you work in and making it safer, cleaner or more efficient gets noticed.

Don't try to impress colleagues with what you know, impress them with how hard you work and how well you listen.

As for the actual welding skill, a school is a good way to begin. But buy an inexpensive Stick machine, grab some scrap metal (1/4" or thicker) and a 50# box of rods. Then start practicing. And practice some more. Burn 50# is every position, then switch hands and repeat. Become a skilled Stick welder, and the other processes become easier to master. Its also much cheaper to learn and more versatile than all other processes (though each has their place and advantage).

And the very best of luck to you!
    Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:41 pm

In case you didn't get it, it isn't about the welding. It's about being the best employee you can be. I am old and retired. That was my secret to eating. Monger missed one thing though and that came to me from the most brilliant teacher I ever had and that wasn't welding but government. She said "do whatever you do with enthusiasm - real, not feigned and that alone will take you places." Think about the job, not yourself. All these little phrases are so short but so powerful. With any luck you will be able to get out of New Jersey.
red_dragon

cj737 wrote:Best advice I can give you about a new job as a "new tradesperson" is to: Show Up, Shut Up, and Keep up.

Attitude and work ethic will always get you a job, and you will keep that job with these attributes over your skill level. Employers invest a lot of money into hiring and employing, training staff, so it's in their best interest to retain employees who can successfully contribute. That means be there every damn day, even when you have a cold. If work is slow, find something to clean, straighten, or put away. Taking notice of the environment you work in and making it safer, cleaner or more efficient gets noticed.

Don't try to impress colleagues with what you know, impress them with how hard you work and how well you listen.

As for the actual welding skill, a school is a good way to begin. But buy an inexpensive Stick machine, grab some scrap metal (1/4" or thicker) and a 50# box of rods. Then start practicing. And practice some more. Burn 50# is every position, then switch hands and repeat. Become a skilled Stick welder, and the other processes become easier to master. Its also much cheaper to learn and more versatile than all other processes (though each has their place and advantage).

And the very best of luck to you!
Thanks for the wisdom CJ!

Nobody talks about attitude, ONLY skill. Same goes for listening.
Listening INTENTLY to someone who's teaching you or anyone for that matter is KEY.

I wish I got started a few years ago but I've only got myself to blame for that.

Still young enough though and very excited about the near future.

What is the industry looking like in 15-20 years from your perspective? Lots of people talking about automation but I think there will still be plenty of work for the right people.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

It is never too late to start, that’s a fallacy. What are challenges later in life is financial obligations to a family, health care, being a parent, etc. If you are single, hard working, and motivated, any career change is a good choice.

Automation will change the industry in the plant or on the production floor. But automation is not viable in many situations for onsite repairs, in the field, or obscure repairs. Maybe in 20 years these types of automated setups will be around, but it will still require knowledgeable tradespeople to operate them.

Stick and Oxy torch cutting are probably the most versatile skills still around. The better you can weld with Stick, the more portions you’ll have for jobs. Being able to accurately and safely cut with a torch, that’s a huge bonus.

The best jobs pay for the worst conditions where quality and safety matter. Lie upside down in a stream of human waste and weld at a WasteWater Plant and you’ll be paid handsomely. But you’ll suffer for it. Stand outside in subzero temps with wind and snow and ice and freeze your manparts off just to make a 6” repair underneath a pipe hovering on frozen ground, it pays money. It takes attitude and work ethic to prevail in these conditions. If you have it, you’ll prosper. If you don’t have it, learn it. It will make the most difference in your career.

I’ve told my boys, “Embrace the suck” and you can endure any task, job or condition because it will end. Whether you can last is solely up to you. Set your attitude when it’s 12* outside and blowing 40mph to: “Its 55* and light breeze”. Just ignore the sh!t and do the work. You will always warm up afterwards. Never b!tch about it, just bite down hard and push through.

You will do just fine-
red_dragon

Zondfive wrote:In case you didn't get it, it isn't about the welding. It's about being the best employee you can be. I am old and retired. That was my secret to eating. Monger missed one thing though and that came to me from the most brilliant teacher I ever had and that wasn't welding but government. She said "do whatever you do with enthusiasm - real, not feigned and that alone will take you places." Think about the job, not yourself. All these little phrases are so short but so powerful. With any luck you will be able to get out of New Jersey.
"Think about the job, not yourself." That's good stuff!

Reminds me of this one comment from an older post. Someone asked about a rig welders earning potential and the guy explained pros & cons. He finished off by saying...

"This isn't like hitting the lottery, it's work and a business that needs to be thought of as such. Life's about choices and you have to make them for yourself."
    Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:41 pm

Through a complex series of events I came in contact with the fellow who said this to me.

"Cream and bastards rise". Being the best person you possibly can falls out of that. Again a choice. Never a real excuse for the latter.

Z
clavius
    Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 pm

red_dragon wrote:
What is the industry looking like in 15-20 years from your perspective? Lots of people talking about automation but I think there will still be plenty of work for the right people.
Something to think about with respect to your question about automation. Know that it's coming, whether those currently in the trade want it to or not. There is no fighting that. For a really enlightening take on that, listen to the Welding tips & tricks podcast #107 with Scott Thayer from Bug-O Systems. At the early part of the podcast, he give some very interesting insights on automation in this industry. You can find that here:

https://wttpodcast.libsyn.com/scott-tha ... -o-systems

So being a new entrant to the field, and also knowing that this is coming, be the guy who not only knows how to weld, but also the guy who learns and understands the automation part as well. A person training a robot to follow a seam still has to know a good weld from a bad weld and how to solve the problems that arise. Be that person. These will be valuable and marketable skills that will open doors for you and give you choices in your career.

Lots of other excellent advice above. Sometimes it's the simplest things that can make the most difference, thought the "simplest things" are often not the "easiest things".

Best of luck in your adventures.