General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
matt1223
    Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Hello All,
I’m sure you’ve been awaiting the next post like this every day.....
Here it is
I’ve been welding for about 6 years now, Tig, Mig, Stick. I am currently a public works employee looking for the future. In about 3 years i’ll be able to start my own business financially and with family matters settled more. I am looking to do mobile work but also have a small shop for work that doesn’t need to be done on site. I like repairing machinery and dabble into fab work for friends and family. I am not gonna start the what vehicle to use topic on you so don’t worry. I’ll figure out what i need/want. I’m just looking on what welders to get to get me going but that could last with me until i have more financial means to buy more dedicated items. Such as multiprocess machines or individual machines. I’ll be looking for a used engine drive welder for mobile work. I know i can pickup a miller or lincoln suitcase type for field mig/flux core depending on the generator make. But should i find the individual machines used or buy a multiprocess day everlast. I would be able to use a spool gun off most of the generators if it’s recently made like 2010 and up i believe. but then the critical stuff and smaller jobs means i can’t just tig it. I’m just looking for a reasonable means to do AC and DC welding. most multiprocess don’t have AC means. I want to be able to put up a curtain and mig in the field and or tig. Just asking for thoughts on how to cost effectively set myself up for all processes and materials. I know I can pickup a everladt tig/stick machine with AC and pulse or an AHP and then a suitcase or a used 211 etc etc. just trying to see what i need to save for and be on the lookout for. I’d like to gather my equipment now gradually and do side work then go fully into welding without dropping thousands and thousands all at once. I also know I could get setup for aluminum and possibly have seldom jobs in my area for it. but I don’t want to be limited and say sorry can’t do that. Thank you all for any tips on this.
LanceR
    Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm

Welcome from Pinnacle, North Carolina.

You've asked a lot of questions that would be better asked in a thread or threads titled to reflect what info you are looking for. even if someone stumbles on your questions most folks just aren't going to work to dig your questions out of a big run-on paragraph.

Good luck with your questions and especially with your upcoming venture.
LanceR

Miller Multimatic 255
Hypertherm Powermax45 XP
Heck Bevel Mill 4000
Ace fume extractor
Welding/cutting/brazing torches
matt1223
    Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:02 pm

I realized how much i put into the post after posting it. I see exactly what you mean.
    Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:43 pm

These are just random thoughts. You say you have three years until you have the foot hold to establish yourself independently. Maybe don't worry about the machines you will need then.

1. Maybe look at getting budget equipment now and by the time you are ready to go solo at least you will fully understand what your needs are. If you are just starting out then why put the pressure on yourself to over reach equipment wise. Budget machines and hood time might actually be better than debt and not having enough money for consumables.

2. In the three years you have, read about welding everyday and constantly be making projects at home or practicing between family time. Never stop learning. Having more questions than answers is a good thing.

3. Try not to borrow money. Debt is not good for people.
Learning is the best part of life and the most painful