General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Ballistic308
    Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:56 pm

cj737 wrote:
Ballistic308 wrote:Guys- I stayed “fire protection” not fire proof; there is a difference. Depending on how the weld/ fabrication is executed would determine how much heat is induced, such as short stitch welds across the top rather than a full bead or tabs across the top portion.

As stated riveting is an option, not as aesthetically please, but an option.
Cheers, I was not intimating that you had said fireproof at all. And I am not discounting that due care can achieve the proper result with drywall. All things need to be done sensibly, that's a given.

The Roxul is a great choice too. Was just pointing out that in order to keep the drywall "stable" it would need to be reasonably tight to the edges to prevent it from sloshing around with movement which could introduce a fire hazard when welding.

No offense intended to your idea-
Yeah no worries, none taken.
Judgmentalist
    Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:21 pm

I can’t find any better pictures, but I am assuming that the sheet is just a smidge <<< technical term :) smaller than the tube frame, so the smooth edge of the tube would be the first thing you touch as opposed to the thin edge of the sheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Judgmentalist

I found a guy on Etsy that makes this style of door and asked him what the edge looks like and he sent this picture:

He also said, “It is softened.”

Any idea what that means?

VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

I'm guessing that it means he rounded over the outside edge of the sheet metal.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
Judgmentalist

VA-Sawyer wrote:I'm guessing that it means he rounded over the outside edge of the sheet metal.
Like with an angle grinder?

Judgmentalist

I also saw a video on YouTube that said one way to preserve the steel is to seal it with wax, but first you should heat it with a blowtorch to get water out of it.

Then I read somewhere else that said this was BS.

Verdict?

VA-Sawyer

I took it that softened referred to smoothing the edge of the sheet metal. It could also mean the square tubing came with rounded corners vs. square ones.
To ease the edges of the sheet metal, I would use a file, or maybe a Scotchbrite disk. I would do it before welding the sheet to the frame.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Looks a lot more like that skin is bent on a sheet metal brake. The corners I’m sure are welded and ground for finish. Have done it with stainless sheet many times for counter tops.
Attachments
F834C2C7-AE2F-498E-A757-3919ABB5F82A.jpeg
F834C2C7-AE2F-498E-A757-3919ABB5F82A.jpeg (55.05 KiB) Viewed 979 times

Judgmentalist wrote:I also saw a video on YouTube that said one way to preserve the steel is to seal it with wax, but first you should heat it with a blowtorch to get water out of it.

Then I read somewhere else that said this was BS.

Verdict?
Try a test piece and post back with the result! Instead of wax I would use a clear coat (rattle can) spray, that would be permanent compare to wax
Richard
Website
VA-Sawyer

Of the different finishing ideas that have been posted here, I think the Pantina sounds best.