General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Contred3030
    Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:08 pm

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a safe rust inhibitor to use on a welding table and machinery? I share the garage space with my wife and son and would like to limit the amount of hazmat I use in the area. Doesn't anyone have experience with mineral oil or cotton seed oil? Thank you.
Ballistic308
    Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:56 pm

WD40. There have been countless tests performed, so doing a google search will be your best bet.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

CRC SP350
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

some time back someone posted about using SIMPLE GREEN ANTI SPATTER. IF y'all find it and use it, I'd appreciate the results and where to get it.
thanks
bill

Look HERE
Richard
Website
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

BillE.Dee wrote:some time back someone posted about using SIMPLE GREEN ANTI SPATTER. IF y'all find it and use it, I'd appreciate the results and where to get it.
thanks
bill
Does NOTHING for rust prevention. Decent for weld spatter though.
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

WD-40 is actually a very poor rust inhibitor. It evaporates overnight, and it leaves nearly nothing behind.

I found out about lanolin on a machining forum. I dissolve a pound of lanolin in a gallon of mineral spirits and I spray it on stuff. The liquid evaporates, but it leaves a thin film of lanolin on the metal.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
Xsbank
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:42 pm

Varnish. Pick the old fashion kind with no additives or solvents. Try Le Tonkinoise, the French Navy uses it for rust prevention. Not sticky.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I did put the sp 350 on my table. It seems that there is a residue left behind ... the table can be wiped off, but the metal dust will cling together, almost wet like.