General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
la1
  • la1
    Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:51 am

hi just watched a youtube video on reversing the polarity on a flux core welder which to me means the grounding clamp is positive and the gun negative. So does that mean the work piece now has a positive potential ? what about welding on say the floor pan on a modern car with a computer...what will this do to the car computer.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Welcome! Path of least resistance. Keep the (ground / positive clamp) close to the arc. If you unhook the cables from the battery then that should break most of the completed circuits. In all probability after that you should be good to go. Only thing that doesn’t sound like it applies in this case would be welding with high freq Tig, in close proximity to the actual circuit boards. But that’s a whole different process and machine.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

la1 wrote:hi just watched a youtube video on reversing the polarity on a flux core welder which to me means the grounding clamp is positive and the gun negative. So does that mean the work piece now has a positive potential ? what about welding on say the floor pan on a modern car with a computer...what will this do to the car computer.
flux core welders are typically electrode (gun) negative (i'm assuming gasless fluxcore) or if you got the really shitty ones its AC.

migs are electrode positive as they are typically set for bare wire and you have to change that over to electrode negative to run flux core.

imho throw the flux core welder in the bin and get a half decent mig.
tweak it until it breaks
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

I read this post earlier, decided to wait for the Tweake flux core rant before posting [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
tweake

JayWal wrote:I read this post earlier, decided to wait for the Tweake flux core rant before posting [emoji1787]

wise man :D

friends don't let friends use fluxcore welders. 8-)
tweak it until it breaks
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

tweake wrote:
JayWal wrote:I read this post earlier, decided to wait for the Tweake flux core rant before posting [emoji1787]

wise man :D

friends don't let friends use fluxcore welders. 8-)
I too abhor flux core only machines. :twisted:
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

I'm tempted to buy a chinesium cheapy so I can relate

tweake

JayWal wrote:I'm tempted to buy a chinesium cheapy so I can relate

i can understand the fun of modding a welder. i'm more than happy for you to tweak it and make it better.
but for a practical welder, its still going to be a piece of junk no matter what you do to it.
tweak it until it breaks
drizler1
    Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

I take the battery cables off before welding on anything with a computer. You can also just find the computer and remove the plug for further protection or take the computer right out.
Myself working on my own stuff I just make sure I have a GOOD GROUND right nearby on the part being welded . Make sure the spot is CLEAN BARE METAL not polished rust. I’ve never burned anything out doing that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk