General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:53 pm

Hey Folks,

I did a lot of 'out-of-position' burning with my MIG. Now that I'm climbing the GTAW hill I'm finding the the 'pedal' is sometimes a pain. I'm not saying that it does not have a place. Most times it is indispensable.

I have researched some old posts and found one that 'Oscar' posted back in 2013. He purchased a 'finger button' that was pressure sensitive and indicated that he liked it..... Oscar, you here???

So, I've found it on '6061.com'. Do any of you have input??? And, is their site worth the $65 to join???

Thanks.....
Attachments
Finger TIG Button.png
Finger TIG Button.png (239.52 KiB) Viewed 10149 times
Everyday I try to be the man my dog thinks I am.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

I saw that exact same button on 6061's YT channel not long ago. Seemed interesting, and it's hard to argue with his results, so I looked into it. Seemed like a hassle and a bit cloodgy to get it integrated into the machine, and the price tag (I think about $250) turned me off to it. Not that the nice remote amperage controls from CK and others are much less...

Does seem like useful a tool, though. Interested to know if anyone else here is using one.

As for paying $65 to "join" and unlock his other videos. Nope. Not for me. Too much other great content is already available for free from other sources. Now if it were a $5 or $10 "donation", I'd probably be more inclined to pony up the dough.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I have 2 of them; one on my Dynasty and one on my multiprocess Lift Arc box. I use them in lots of circumstances when a pedal (just as you described) is inconvenient.

You can buy the button through Aaron at 6061 or directly from Dave Vogel at https://www.tigcontrol.com. Dave is awesome to deal with. Aaron's site is chocked full of good info if you are getting started in TIG, and Aluminum especially. Sure, there's lots of other content out there, free in YT land. But Aaron makes exceptional videos, great, well-documented content, and for $65 its a contribution to someone willing to share decades of skills and insights. Cheap education in my book.
Spartan

cj737 wrote:...But Aaron makes exceptional videos, great, well-documented content, and for $65 its a contribution to someone willing to share decades of skills and insights. Cheap education in my book.
I don't disagree. I'm curious though if he did any sort of market analysis to come up with the $65 figure or if he just sort of threw it out there. I'd be willing to bet that if his subscription cost was say $9 (about 1/7th the current total cost) that he may be able to get at least 10-20 times the amount of subscribers willing to pay, and a lot more total revenue coming in from the subscriptions. Since it does not cost him anything to bring on more subscribers (maybe a relatively negligible cost if he had to increase hosting bandwidth), $65 just seems like an odd choice to me. A lot of people are willing to pay $9 for that type of service, who would not be willing to pay $65, and I'm definitely one of those people.
Last edited by Spartan on Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I've looked at this finger button amp control, it's interesting and would have it's place. But it's not for me. Doing mostly pipework, I know exactly what amps I want for every pipe size and schedule so I don't need amp control, only stop start. The peddle is ideal for bench work, but torch switching is best for positional work. That gives me two options - lift arc and 2T switching. I use both and have a momentary switch fitted to my torches.
I believe if you focus on reading your weld pool, travel speed, torch angle and arc length you don't need continuous amp control, and you can always pulse with the 2T button if things are getting too hot.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

Spartan wrote: I don't disagree. I'm curious though if he did any sort of market analysis to come up with the $65 figure or if he just sort of threw it out there. I'd be willing to bet that if his subscription cost was say $9 (about 1/7th the current total cost) that he may be able to get at least 10-20 times the amount of subscribers willing to pay, and a lot more total revenue coming in from the subscriptions. Since it does not cost him anything to bring on more subscribers (maybe a relatively negligible cost if he had to increase hosting bandwidth), $65 just seems like an odd choice to me. A lot of people are willing to pay $9 for that type of service, who would not be willing to pay $65, and I'm definitely one of those people.
However he determines the price of admission, it used to be $45, so maybe the market (from his view) decided it's worth it.
Richard
Website
Spartan

LtBadd wrote: However he determines the price of admission, it used to be $45, so maybe the market (from his view) decided it's worth it.
Certainly nobody better understands his goals and has a better view of the situation than he does. Is he on this forum?? I'd love to get a better understanding of his reasoning behind the pricing simply to satisfy the academic intrigue from a marketing perspective.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Spartan wrote:
LtBadd wrote: However he determines the price of admission, it used to be $45, so maybe the market (from his view) decided it's worth it.
Certainly nobody better understands his goals and has a better view of the situation than he does. Is he on this forum?? I'd love to get a better understanding of his reasoning behind the pricing simply to satisfy the academic intrigue from a marketing perspective.
i can't remember if he is on here.
afaik he pops up on welding web now and then.
tweak it until it breaks

tweake wrote: i can't remember if he is on here.
afaik he pops up on welding web now and then.
yea that's what I seem to recall.

If you go to his YT channel, click on "about" I think there might be an email addy if you want to contact him.
Richard
Website
Simclardy
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

I use a switch when I'm up on equipment and if i need control i just set a 1s up slope and 1s down slope and just toggle the sweet spot. Aarons switch has 4 on positions (i believe) so it steps the voltage.
Not a bad idea, but not something i have to have.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Burning Filler Rod wrote:Hey Folks,

I did a lot of 'out-of-position' burning with my MIG. Now that I'm climbing the GTAW hill I'm finding the the 'pedal' is sometimes a pain. I'm not saying that it does not have a place. Most times it is indispensable.

I have researched some old posts and found one that 'Oscar' posted back in 2013. He purchased a 'finger button' that was pressure sensitive and indicated that he liked it..... Oscar, you here???

So, I've found it on '6061.com'. Do any of you have input??? And, is their site worth the $65 to join???

Thanks.....
I liked it so much, I bought another one. This one for my Invertig 400. That way I can not mess with the one on my Invertig 221. :) The new one looks different, and is more pressure sensitive, which I like. I like it a lot.
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

I paid the $45 for access to 6061 last year. It is video only with no talking. He adds text sometimes for explanation.
I don't feel it was worth the money.
Jody not only has great arc shots, but he tells you what to pay attention to during the shots.
As for the tig button, I am thinking of making one for my welder. Looking to combine it with a wireless foot pedal.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!

[/quote]
I liked it so much, I bought another one. This one for my Invertig 400. That way I can not mess with the one on my Invertig 221. :) The new one looks different, and is more pressure sensitive, which I like. I like it a lot.[/quote]

I now 'Kneel To Oscar' and will forever be in his debt... or Dave's at TIG Control....

Thanks Oscar and too all that posted....!

VA-Sawyer wrote:I paid the $45 for access to 6061 last year. It is video only with no talking. He adds text sometimes for explanation.
I don't feel it was worth the money.
Jody not only has great arc shots, but he tells you what to pay attention to during the shots.
As for the tig button, I am thinking of making one for my welder. Looking to combine it with a wireless foot pedal.
VA-Sawyer,,,, Jody makes my head explode like the Martin heads in the movie 'Mars Attacks'..... But he serves a purpose..
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Burning Filler Rod wrote:Jody makes my head explode like the Martin heads in the movie 'Mars Attacks'..... But he serves a purpose..
Certainly serves a purpose for me. When I watch Aaron I start to get anxiety in how he doesn't talk, speeds up the camera, moves around like a minion...I don't know, he does great welding, not trying to dispute that...but Jody explains everything he does in a very clear and concise way that is very understandable. He's also an amazing welder, on most all facets including stick.

There's a lot left to my imagination with Aaron, and unfortunately I have a pretty big imagination, but not so much that that I could imagine spending $65 for the price of admission. :oops:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

[/quote]Certainly serves a purpose for me. When I watch Aaron I start to get anxiety in how he doesn't talk, speeds up the camera, moves around like a minion...I don't know, he does great welding, not trying to dispute that...but Jody explains everything he does in a very clear and concise way that is very understandable. He's also an amazing welder, on most all facets including stick.

There's a lot left to my imagination with Aaron, and unfortunately I have a pretty big imagination, but not so much that that I could imagine spending $65 for the price of admission. :oops:[/quote]

What you say is very valid and I understand, but I think it is difficult to compare the two. Jodie is wonderfully instructive and Aaron is not trying to teach so much. He seems showcase 'what' is capable with GTAW in a fabrication environment preformed by, what can I say, talent. I find it very interesting to watch his free YouTube 'stuff'. I learn large amounts from just watching. But at times I do like to watch and be 'spoon fed' by the how to boys.

I will say that I will not be taking $65 bucks out of my monthly brewskis allowance to surf around 6061's site...........

See Ya,,,,,
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Burning Filler Rod wrote:I will say that I will not be taking $65 bucks out of my monthly brewskis allowance to surf around 6061's site...........
I think we're in agreement for the most part, but I must say you made me laugh on that one... :lol:

Indeed Jody and Aaron are two different people. :)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Burning Filler Rod wrote: I will say that I will not be taking $65 bucks out of my monthly brewskis allowance to surf around 6061's site...........
In case you were somehow unclear, the $65 is for a lifetime subscription, not a monthly fee. Amortized over a year, it's little more than $5/monthly, $0.18/day, or $0.02/hour on a given 8 hour work day. I wonder how many times you've spent your $0.02 giving advice, but won't pay for it? Seems a bit odd...

[/quote]
In case you were somehow unclear, the $65 is for a lifetime subscription, not a monthly fee. Amortized over a year, it's little more than $5/monthly, $0.18/day, or $0.02/hour on a given 8 hour work day. I wonder how many times you've spent your $0.02 giving advice, but won't pay for it? Seems a bit odd...[/quote]

Dude,,,

I generally do not pass out advise 'cause in any group of folks I try to be the quietest one there.... I tend to learn more. But if I were to pass along sage advise or wisdom it would not be for $0.02. Heck, it would be more like $100.00. ;) Grin
v5cvbb
    Fri May 01, 2020 11:35 pm

I liked the foot pedal when seated, but as soon as graduated from running beads to trying projects, I realized I don't have the coordination or patience to deal with a foot pedal while standing, or laying under something. I quickly started using the torch switch and enjoyed the freedom. I missed the amp control, but never went back to the pedal. Up and down slope works, but I was never satisfied.

I wanted the Tig Button from 6061 for at least 6 months before I finally ordered it. I still wasn't sure about it when I ordered. I just got it installed today. I was 100% satisfied immediately. I only had time to run 3 filler rods worth of beads, but I think I'll adapt pretty quickly. The control at the start or end of a weld is great. The consistency mid weld will take a little work.

That's all I've got for now.

v5cvbb,

Similar to you I was having issues with the foot pedal. I contacted Dave at TIG Control and he put me in contact with his partner Gary. This was because they did not offer the button for my welder.

Gary and I worked together in developing one for my welder. Last Monday I received it, I installed it, and my world changed. The install was simple and usage is very intuitive.

Dave and Gary were great to work with. They accepted the challenge and came up with a button quickly. Good folks...!

I've been playing with the button for a week now. Tried up and down the amperage scale and pressures on the button. It is great.

I also need to thank Oscar for his posts on this site. I think his first post was in 2013 and he now is using three of these buttons.

Anyway, here are some photo's of my install....
Attachments
IMG_0173.jpg
IMG_0173.jpg (91.93 KiB) Viewed 8112 times
IMG_0171.jpg
IMG_0171.jpg (89.01 KiB) Viewed 8112 times
IMG_0176.jpg
IMG_0176.jpg (97.16 KiB) Viewed 8112 times
IMG_0178.jpg
IMG_0178.jpg (88.27 KiB) Viewed 8112 times
IMG_0169.jpg
IMG_0169.jpg (95.46 KiB) Viewed 8112 times
v5cvbb
    Fri May 01, 2020 11:35 pm

Burning filler rod, any idea about the different style buttons? I've seen 2 versions and expected they were old and new. I just received mine last week so ours should be current generation. No complaints, just curious. I mounted my box in exact location you did, but with the jacks facing down. I made some elastic loops for my last on/off button which worked well with this one.

I'm new to the forum and I couldn't find the guys at ARC Control online and didn't know where the button was coming from until the box arrived. Glad to hear they are helpful. Aaron at 6061 answered several question before I finally ordered so I'm good with ordering there.
Attachments
20200503_203714.jpg
20200503_203714.jpg (43.06 KiB) Viewed 8100 times
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Burning Filler Rod wrote:v5cvbb,

Similar to you I was having issues with the foot pedal. I contacted Dave at TIG Control and he put me in contact with his partner Gary. This was because they did not offer the button for my welder.

Gary and I worked together in developing one for my welder. Last Monday I received it, I installed it, and my world changed. The install was simple and usage is very intuitive.

Dave and Gary were great to work with. They accepted the challenge and came up with a button quickly. Good folks...!

I've been playing with the button for a week now. Tried up and down the amperage scale and pressures on the button. It is great.

I also need to thank Oscar for his posts on this site. I think his first post was in 2013 and he now is using three of these buttons.

Anyway, here are some photo's of my install....
Glad it worked out for ya! Those guys take on almost any challenge. Truth be told, the TIG button they sent for my Invertig 400 needed to be reworked. They provided a questionnaire, I filled it out with V/Ω measurements, then they sent a new control box, and it worked like a charm. That would make it two for me. The one on the invertig 221, and this second one. I did order extra cables for my other torches. I have CK micro torch, and a WP-24, so on those I will install the cable within the leather cover, that way I can swap the 221's button over if I need to use the other torches. The new material for the button is also more pliable/sensitive, so I got one of those to replace the older one. Works great. Only caveat is that on my 221, for some odd reason the amps with the TIG button only go to about 215-216A, instead of the normal 220A with the pedal. But it's no big deal for me. 5A won't make or break a weld when you're over 200A already.

v5cv66,

The type button you have is the new and most current one. The button I requested Dave and Gary set up for me is, how can I say, more fragile than what you have. You need to understand that I'm not in a commercial shop environment and will always be the sole user of my torch so I like the streamline-ness of the way mine feels. I don't need the armor plating like on the Abrams tank, but I can certainly see the advantage of it in a rough environment.

After a week's 'honey moon' period I removed the white tape and conned my wife out of two of her hair ties. Now I can slide or rotate the button for any finger position I might need. (see photo)

I have to say again how impress I am with Dave and Gary. They were really up to the challenge for developing a button for a new welder. Here is Dave's e-mail for welders not on 6061's list: dave@tigcontrol.com

Good luck and enjoy....
Mike

Weld Photo's Below:
1/8" (0.120" actual) Cold Rolled Steel
Peak Amperage 130
3/32" Lanthanated Tungsten
1/16" ER70-S
Furick Stubby Gas Lens
#7 Ceramic Cup
Argon 8 cfg
Attachments
IMG_0183.jpg
IMG_0183.jpg (82.45 KiB) Viewed 8051 times
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg (104.56 KiB) Viewed 8051 times
IMG_0187.jpg
IMG_0187.jpg (112.76 KiB) Viewed 8051 times

Oscar,

Thanks for the reply and vote of confidence. Without your input I might still be procrastinating about getting one.

I to had to work with Gary. He sent me a questionnaire to fill out which meant 'dissecting' my foot pedal and finding V/Ω values. I now know more about foot pedals than I will ever need again. The @$#* spring was the worst...!

See Ya, Bye