General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
rjr8009
    Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:23 pm

Hey y’all, I bought a weldpro tig200 and the machine is capable of welding at 110 but it’s not any good. I need 220V, but what I rigged was only pulling from one leg so it wasn’t stable and the cheapest electrician quote I was given was 1800$. I wanna pick the great brains of this forum to see if I have more options here like a generator (I don’t know anything about generators except they’re loud as hell and my neighbors will hate me) or something else I can do before I send this welder back. Thanks fellas
Find 3 hobbies: 1 to make you money, 1 to keep you in shape and 1 to keep you creative

It is what it is and it ain't what it ain't
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

We're going to need a bit more info on your current wiring setup to provide any advice.

I'm guessing by the $1800 quote that you don't have 220v in your space now.

Are you in a separate building but it only has 110v pulled from another panel?
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If you only pull one leg of 220, then you only have 110.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Running off a generator is not a good choice IMO due to cost. It is prohibitively expensive compared to electricity from your house. I gather that you are not ok with running the wiring yourself, so I'd say one option is a long heavy-duty extension cord from your dryer outlet. Just kinda depends how you wanna go about things.
rjr8009

Oscar wrote:Running off a generator is not a good choice IMO due to cost. It is prohibitively expensive compared to electricity from your house. I gather that you are not ok with running the wiring yourself, so I'd say one option is a long heavy-duty extension cord from your dryer outlet. Just kinda depends how you wanna go about things.
It’s a different outlet on my dryer, not compatible with my welder
Find 3 hobbies: 1 to make you money, 1 to keep you in shape and 1 to keep you creative

rjr8009

Oscar wrote:Running off a generator is not a good choice IMO due to cost. It is prohibitively expensive compared to electricity from your house. I gather that you are not ok with running the wiring yourself, so I'd say one option is a long heavy-duty extension cord from your dryer outlet. Just kinda depends how you wanna go about things.

DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

So what’s the electrical setup in the work workspace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225

rjr8009 wrote:
While the outlet is indeed different, but I mentioned it because if all else fails lots of people use their dryer outlet with an adapter in order to be able to get 240V to their welder. BTW, your welder does not need the full 50A; it's just a standard convention for many welders to use a 50A plug 6-50P, but that doesn't mean your welder needs 50A, just FYI.
DavidR8 wrote:So what’s the electrical setup in the work workspace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is key to figuring out where to go from here.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Oscar wrote:lots of people use their dryer outlet with an adapter in order to be able to get 240V to their welder.
Pretty much what I did, although I repurposed my dryer circuit since I have a gas dryer. I use NEMA L6-30 twist lock. I also run a 7-1/2HP RPC to power all of my 3 phase machines in my shop off that same circuit.

I run both a Primeweld 225, a 225 amp AC/DC Stick/Tig welder, and an Everlast i-Tig 201, a 200 amp DC Stick/Tig welder. The Primeweld will most likely pop the breaker if I was to max it out. That will be a non-issue in my next shop.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

rj,,,can you show us a picture of the dryer outlet and a picture of the welder plug that is attached to the welder? IF the run from the dryer isn't too far, you may be able to get an adapter made up to fit. Also, what is the set up where you plan on using the welder ? Is there a 220 panel there, OR is it just 110 ?
some of the dryer outlets have what's called the crow foot

and some have the 6-50 (?) | '
you should be able to get an adapter made up for the conversion. If you can't get an adapter made without loosing power, you 'll have to run new electrical lines to the work area.
I'm not computer savvy (was verified over the weekend while visiting buggy) and hope this makes some sense and gets you up and running.

Just buy the correct plug to fit the outlet you have for the 220v line and put it on the welder, or am I missing something?
Richard
Website

LtBadd wrote:Just buy the correct plug to fit the outlet you have for the 220v line and put it on the welder, or am I missing something?
I think he's just not sure of how the electrical works considering that he hadn't even considered it. :)
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

from what I've read ,,, we don't know if the work area is near the dryer and the plug on the welder isn't compatible to the dryer. Maybe a board stretcher will be needed to move the dryer outlet closer to the work area...and THEN a new plug added to the welder.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

BillE.Dee wrote:from what I've read ,,, we don't know if the work area is near the dryer and the plug on the welder isn't compatible to the dryer. Maybe a board stretcher will be needed to move the dryer outlet closer to the work area...and THEN a new plug added to the welder.
Or just add another outlet in the work are with a plug of his choice. My dryer had a crowsfoot, which would be my last choice so I moved over to L6-30R twist lock recepticle and use L6-30P plugs on it.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan