General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

sbaker56 wrote:As Oscar said, its definitely not a terrible idea to get 3-4 cheaper grinders and use high quality abrasives either.
I have a different view. If you're willing to use quality abrasives, why not just get the Metabo? IMO it doesn't make sense to get the cheapest angle grinders you can find when you can get the 11 amp Metabo from Baker Gas I linked to above for $113 w/shipping.

1 box of 3M Cubitron discs will cost you almost twice as much as the Metabo Grinder.

For me I usually use the Weiler Wolverine wheels ($2.25/ea) with the threaded hub on them. I recently got some TRU-MAXX zirconia 60 grit flaps off ebay, $20 for 10-discs. I have quite a few Walter discs also, my LWS carries them.

The Cubitron discs are about $200/box of 20.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

TraditionalToolworks wrote:The Cubitron discs are about $200/box of 20.
You may have honed your skills for finding pre-owned machinery for pennies on the dollar, but your bargain-hunting skills for 3M abrasives are at a nursery level. :lol: I pay nowhere near that price. Besides, when you see how much damage one CubitronII-anything can do, and how long it lasts doing said devastation to pretty much anything in it's path, one quickly realized that you don't need a box full of them the way you do with standard abrasives. Unless you have 10+ employees working non-stop in welding/fabrication 5/10 a week, you just need a few here and there.
v5cvbb
    Fri May 01, 2020 11:35 pm

I've got a few 4.5" grinders. A Porter Cable from Lowes is worst of the bunch. Tool Barn from Rural King is better. Bauer from Harbor Freight is doing great so far. DeWalt has seen a crap load of use and cord damage is only wear. 20V DeWalt is nice.

Makita die grinder is sounding funny after 25 years.

30? year old Milwaukee 9" grinder busted something in gear box recently.
TraditionalToolworks

Oscar wrote:You may have honed your skills for finding pre-owned machinery for pennies on the dollar, but your bargain-hunting skills for 3M abrasives are at a nursery level. :lol:
I've responded twice and decided to remove my response to you twice, so think I'll just leave it be. I don't think there's any good way for me to respond to you. :(
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
Oscar wrote:You may have honed your skills for finding pre-owned machinery for pennies on the dollar, but your bargain-hunting skills for 3M abrasives are at a nursery level. :lol:
I've responded twice and decided to remove my response to you twice, so think I'll just leave it be. I don't think there's any good way for me to respond to you. :(
I'm pretty sure that he was just teasing you in a friendly way. ;)

Spartan wrote:
I'm pretty sure that he was just teasing you in a friendly way. ;)
Yup, someone needs thicker skin. :D

As to why I choose to use multiple cheaper grinders? Because I choose to. Nothing more to it than that.
TraditionalToolworks

Oscar wrote:Yup, someone needs thicker skin. :D
Pretty sure I have thick enough skin...might need less hypocrisy though...don't have a great tolerance for that stuff...so I usually don't respond well to hypocrites. :lol:
Oscar wrote:As to why I choose to use multiple cheaper grinders? Because I choose to. Nothing more to it than that.
That's certainly fine, I don't think there is any right or wrong way...we all get to pick what we spend our $$$s on, nothing like buying what we want. Funny thing is that if I could find a place to buy a couple of those wheel, I don't have a problem paying $10/ea or even if I had to pay $15/ea, I would try them...just that I don't need 20 of them, not right now...if I found 20 for $50 on ebay, I'd buy 'em, but short of that my ebay fu must not be so good... :oops:

EDIT: Hah! my ebay fu must be getting better, I did find some grinding wheels with the hubs for $12.95+$2 shipping, so ordered 2 of them to try. Will fit my Milwaukee or Metabo 4-1/2" grinders.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Spartan

You two remind me of an old married couple the way you argue and take pot shots at each other ;)
TraditionalToolworks

Spartan wrote:You two remind me of an old married couple the way you argue and take pot shots at each other ;)
I never argue like that with my wife. :D

She's the sweetest, kindest person on earth. Funny thing is if I made a comment about which weighed more, a 170lb. welding table or her, she would laugh...she only weighs about 110, 120 in a strong wind. She weighs about as much as that Invertig 313...which I wouldn't want to pick up with one hand! :lol:

EDIT: I mentioned the story about the welding table, she didn't think it was too funny, and in fact thought it was stupid American humor...but she said, "Some woman will get rea-ree mad!" :lol: (she doesn't pronounce Ls, the Japanese pronounced them like Rs")

Back to grinders, I used to use the discs that didn't have a hub and fit over the bushing, whatever you call it...but then I saw the video that Aaron did showing how those wobble, but more so how the nut protrudes. Now I try to use the ones with the hubs now...he's using the TRU-MAXX discs in the video, I like them, but seems only Grainger sells them at a premium. I found some flaps on ebay cheap though.

n7EakpiI4Q4
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

sbaker56 wrote:As Oscar said, its definitely not a terrible idea to get 3-4 cheaper grinders and use high quality abrasives either.
I have a different view. If you're willing to use quality abrasives, why not just get the Metabo? IMO it doesn't make sense to get the cheapest angle grinders you can find when you can get the 11 amp Metabo from Baker Gas I linked to above for $113 w/shipping.

1 box of 3M Cubitron discs will cost you almost twice as much as the Metabo Grinder.

For me I usually use the Weiler Wolverine wheels ($2.25/ea) with the threaded hub on them. I recently got some TRU-MAXX zirconia 60 grit flaps off ebay, $20 for 10-discs. I have quite a few Walter discs also, my LWS carries them.

I don't honestly disagree, I own a 13 amp Dewalt and 15 amp 12 pound Makita personally, never owned a sub $100 grinder and probably never will but at work we have a couple 7 inch Dewalt and then a few 7.5 amp Porter Cable grinders and simply being able to leave the heavy grinders set up with a hard rock or cutoff wheel and grab a smaller grinder with a wire brush or to just touch something up is an absolute life saver when you're using them all day.

I have noticed though at school out of the 7 inch grinders and 10.5 amp 4.5 inch Metabos I'll grab a smaller grinder 99% of the time specifically because the high end Metabo and Saitech abrasives cut a whole lot faster and I just don't need the added torque a lot of the time.

I didn't really mean to sound like getting a few cheap grinders was necessarily the superior option, just that eventually all grinders die so it's good to have a backup and being easier on them can make a bit difference in prolonging them.

TraditionalToolworks wrote:EDIT: Hah! my ebay fu must be getting better, I did find some grinding wheels with the hubs for $12.95+$2 shipping, so ordered 2 of them to try. Will fit my Milwaukee or Metabo 4-1/2" grinders.
See, I wasn't wrong, lol. No need to get all riled up with name-calling. :)
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Thanks for all the thoughts. I ordered the linked grinder from bakers. My Airgas wants 300 for the same model #.

NOT intended to start an airgas bashing thread, I like them actually. Been really good to me.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
Jakedaawg

I went with the lock on version as it's all I've ever known. I hate paddles on some of my air tools as you set them down wrong and they tend inadvertently operate. I probably should have ordered two at that price.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
Spartan

Jakedaawg wrote:I went with the lock on version as it's all I've ever known. I hate paddles on some of my air tools as you set them down wrong and they tend inadvertently operate. I probably should have ordered two at that price.
I hated the paddle when I first got one with a paddle maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Hated it. Thought it was the stupidest thing ever to happen to a grinder.

But then I used it for awhile, and now I hate the side switches... :lol:
TraditionalToolworks

Spartan wrote:
Jakedaawg wrote:I went with the lock on version as it's all I've ever known. I hate paddles on some of my air tools as you set them down wrong and they tend inadvertently operate. I probably should have ordered two at that price.
I hated the paddle when I first got one with a paddle maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Hated it. Thought it was the stupidest thing ever to happen to a grinder.

Opposite for me. I have a paddle and it's not as if I hate it, but it annoys me. I have 2 switched models also and would take them over the paddle, even given the danger factor. Paddle is the safest for sure, but it's annoying and I hate to have to hold it always. A paddle with a lock would be nice, but it defeats the whole point of the paddle at that point.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I use paddle grinders with my pinky and ring finger. Doesn’t take long to get used to it.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Spartan

Spartan wrote:

Opposite for me. I have a paddle and it's not as if I hate it, but it annoys me. I have 2 switched models also and would take them over the paddle, even given the danger factor. Paddle is the safest for sure, but it's annoying and I hate to have to hold it always. A paddle with a lock would be nice, but it defeats the whole point of the paddle at that point.
My DeWalt paddle came with a little spring-loaded locking mechanism that you had to first depress on the paddle in order to move it. I removed it, of course. ;)

TraditionalToolworks wrote:I have a different view. If you're willing to use quality abrasives, why not just get the Metabo? IMO it doesn't make sense to get the cheapest angle grinders you can find when you can get the 11 amp Metabo from Baker Gas I linked to above for $113 w/shipping.

Now do you see why I choose do to what I choose to do? 'Tis not a blind choice. ;)
Jakedaawg

Well, the new grinder is here. Seems nice. Quieter and smoother than any other 4 1/2" I have used. Plenty of power. Thanks for the link.
TraditionalToolworks

Jakedaawg wrote:Well, the new grinder is here. Seems nice. Quieter and smoother than any other 4 1/2" I have used. Plenty of power. Thanks for the link.
Glad it worked out.

There was no real reason to use that link other than when I checked the prices looked good.

That was a good deal on a Metabo with the Tool Free disc change, that's a really nice feature. One of my has it and one doesn't, it's definitely worth having, make it really easy to change discs.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
drizler1
    Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Jakedaawg wrote:Thanks for all the thoughts. I ordered the linked grinder from bakers. My Airgas wants 300 for the same model #.

NOT intended to start an airgas bashing thread, I like them actually. Been really good to me.
In that case you’re a lucky man. Better check your wallet one more time to be sure!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JustTheDad
    Mon May 18, 2020 11:20 am

Good thread. Baker sent me a $15 coupon so I used it to buy the linked 11-125 also.

Am placing an order with Zoro today. They have good prices on filler rod and many other things and ship super fast. You get free shipping if you spend $50, otherwise you'll pay $5 shipping

The Cubitron II flap discs run about $8 each with the threaded hub in 40-80 grit. You can't get the threaded hub in 5" unless you buy 250 of them.
Be aware, there are two versions.
The 967A versions are a cloth backing which is cotton/poly
The 969F versions are a polyester backing, which is stiffer.
I don't know enough to recommend one over the other but 3M's website says the 969F is for heavier duty work.
The way to find them is to search Zoro.com for "flap disc"
check the 3m Cubitron II filter
check the 5/8-11 mounting size filter
sort by price.

Oh, and one of you heavy users should get a Norton Red Heat and try that too :) It would be interesting to know if Norton's ceramic flap disc is as good as 3M's. Norton's look like a plastic backing type.

The grinding discs are 10.99 with a threaded arbor in 4 1/2". Not the cheapest, but if only want a couple to try and order other stuff, shipping is free.
One last thing. It's sometimes worth searching Zoro for "closeout" if you have something you use frequently. I picked up 50 grade 5 nyloc nuts in 1/2-20 for $1.48.
Jakedaawg

Well, you guys work out the dates. I think it's been a week or so. This grinder kicks butt. The easy change system rules
TraditionalToolworks

Jakedaawg wrote:Well, you guys work out the dates. I think it's been a week or so. This grinder kicks butt. The easy change system rules
Yeah, that little tool-less nut is the shizzle, heh? One of mine is missing it, so I have another nut that requires a spanner, really makes me appreciate the tool-less nut. They want a lot of money for them though.

Metabos are the Cadillac of angle grinders, IMO. Worth every penny. :D
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
JustTheDad
    Mon May 18, 2020 11:20 am

So with the metabo quick lock, do you take both the quick release disc and the backer off to use a theaded arbor grinding disc, or just the quick lock disc? Seems like just the quick lock one would make sense, but it puts the 5" grinding disc very close to the guard.