General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

I do a lot of fixturing, so wanted one of these Buildpro tables for a while. Opted for the slotted version because of some of the tools I plan on using and because it should help to be able to slide parts of tubing assemblies through it when needed for easier welding access. But the non-slotted version was definitely more appealing in general...and I've already started dropping tools through the slots on day one :lol:

Had three of the plates on just one corner a bit bent during freight shipping (it came with the top fully assembled) but the vendor was quite good about agreeing to get those promptly replaced. No issues at all other than that. We'll she how she does, and whether or not she's worth that somewhat steep price tag. I have a feeling it will be.
IMG_2418.jpg
IMG_2418.jpg (49.36 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
IMG_2420.jpg
IMG_2420.jpg (62.63 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
IMG_2422.jpg
IMG_2422.jpg (79.66 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

That table makes my man parts so hard a cat with iron claws couldn't scratch it. :mrgreen:
Spartan

cj737 wrote:That table makes my man parts so hard a cat with iron claws couldn't scratch it. :mrgreen:
LOL. You better stay away from my table then! :lol:
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

That is a nice table, I'll need to go the cheaper route with a certiflat when I do get one.

Stronghand makes some nice stuff. I recently got their version of the Hel-Hooks for my argon tank, they have 4 hooks plus 2 torch-holders/t-head-holder and a glove clamp. I also have a pair of their mig pliers to snip the ends of tig filler.

Unfortunately I don't have one of the fixture tables. :x
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Looks good!! I cheaped out and decided I'd build my own fixturing. Never did get around to doing it yet

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Spartan

TraditionalToolworks wrote:That is a nice table, I'll need to go the cheaper route with a certiflat when I do get one.

Stronghand makes some nice stuff. I recently got their version of the Hel-Hooks for my argon tank, they have 4 hooks plus 2 torch-holders/t-head-holder and a glove clamp. I also have a pair of their mig pliers to snip the ends of tig filler.

Unfortunately I don't have one of the fixture tables. :x
I looked at certiflat quite a bit, and came really close to buying a few of their smaller ones. Ultimately decided against it because I had seen a YT video where the holes were deforming with even moderate clamping pressure due to the top being so thin (3/16" I think). Certiflat also used to sell larger tables in that build-it-yourself variety, but now I think the 4x3' tops are the largest they sell in that lineup.
TraditionalToolworks

Spartan wrote:I looked at certiflat quite a bit, and came really close to buying a few of their smaller ones. Ultimately decided against it because I had seen a YT video where the holes were deforming with even moderate clamping pressure due to the top being so thin (3/16" I think). Certiflat also used to sell larger tables in that build-it-yourself variety, but now I think the 4x3' tops are the largest they sell in that lineup.
They make different thickness plate, 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". There's a guy on InstaGram that makes custom tables for people. Check out David Demoise.

I've never heard of anyone deforming the holes, but I guess it could happen.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Spartan

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
Spartan wrote:I looked at certiflat quite a bit, and came really close to buying a few of their smaller ones. Ultimately decided against it because I had seen a YT video where the holes were deforming with even moderate clamping pressure due to the top being so thin (3/16" I think). Certiflat also used to sell larger tables in that build-it-yourself variety, but now I think the 4x3' tops are the largest they sell in that lineup.
They make different thickness plate, 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". There's a guy on InstaGram that makes custom tables for people. Check out David Demoise.

I've never heard of anyone deforming the holes, but I guess it could happen.
Just looked at their site again, and I see what you mean. I thought you meant their "Pro" table tops which are the 3/16" thickness only, the FabBlock tables have thicker options as you mentioned, but they come pretty close to the cost of a BuildPro anyway.

I'll be sure to check out David Demoise

They do make custom sizes, I quoted them for a 4x10, 1/2" thick top, just the top no legs came to $9,150.

I went with a solid 3/4" top instead, cost me $1,270, with all the holes laser cut.

Spartan

JayWal wrote:They do make custom sizes, I quoted them for a 4x10, 1/2" thick top, just the top no legs came to $9,150.

I went with a solid 3/4" top instead, cost me $1,270, with all the holes laser cut.

Dang. That's a deal! Did you do the laser cutting, or someone else?

Spartan wrote:
JayWal wrote:They do make custom sizes, I quoted them for a 4x10, 1/2" thick top, just the top no legs came to $9,150.

No there's not enough room under my Christmas tree for a laser unfortunately. Theres a metal supply shop 20 mins from me, I know the guys really well. He runs 3 10 kilowatt fiber lasers, among a bunch of other mills, lathes, rollers and brakes, 2 of em with robots feeding parts to the brakes, those are really neat to watch.

I was planning on drilling the holes, he thought maybe the laser might not make a neat enough hole in steel that thick so he was supposed to just mark them for me with laser and ill mag drill them. But his employee didn't get the memo and cut them anyways and im glad he did. They turned out really good and saved me a pile of work. A quick touch up with a 5/8 twist drill followed with a countersink bit and im very happy with the hole quality. ImageImage

BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Two really impressive tables there. Wow.

What did the Buildpro cost if I may ask? Also, what was the shipping weight?
TraditionalToolworks

All that space in Jay's shop is crazy sick... :roll:

Nice table! Nice rig! Nice space! :lol:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

More space usually means more room for trash to pile up in my case [emoji852]

You need a big shop for farm repairs up here. You think a combine looks big in the field, wait till you try backing it into your shop...

TraditionalToolworks

JayWal wrote:More space usually means more room for trash to pile up in my case [emoji852]
I'm trying to believe you, but having a hard time with such a clean (and BIG) shop. ;)
JayWal wrote:You need a big shop for farm repairs up here. You think a combine looks big in the field, wait till you try backing it into your shop...
No doubt about that. Really nice looking shop! 8-)

Us small peeps have smaller shops... :oops:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Spartan

JayWal wrote:
Spartan wrote:

No there's not enough room under my Christmas tree for a laser unfortunately. Theres a metal supply shop 20 mins from me, I know the guys really well. He runs 3 10 kilowatt fiber lasers, among a bunch of other mills, lathes, rollers and brakes, 2 of em with robots feeding parts to the brakes, those are really neat to watch.

I was planning on drilling the holes, he thought maybe the laser might not make a neat enough hole in steel that thick so he was supposed to just mark them for me with laser and ill mag drill them. But his employee didn't get the memo and cut them anyways and im glad he did. They turned out really good and saved me a pile of work. A quick touch up with a 5/8 twist drill followed with a countersink bit and im very happy with the hole quality. ImageImage

Nice setup for sure!
Spartan

BugHunter wrote:Two really impressive tables there. Wow.

Table was about $4k, and also picked up about $1.5k in tooling for it. They sell tooling packages, so I got one of the smaller packages, and then purchased individual tools that would be most relevant to the work I do. Also plan on making a lot of my own tooling/risers for it as I go. The tooling they sell is quite expensive, especially the ball-lock bolts which are needed for a lot of the tools. I think the shipping weight was about 800 or 900 lbs total. I had seen the weight on one of the invoices or perhaps the bill of lading, but can't find it at the moment.

Definitely a big price tag, but after using it for a couple days now, I'm sure it's worth it. Definitely a huge time saver, and also allows me to do things on the table that I couldn't have done otherwise....at least not without it being a huge headache.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Spartan wrote:
BugHunter wrote:Two really impressive tables there. Wow.

Table was about $4k, and also picked up about $1.5k in tooling for it. They sell tooling packages, so I got one of the smaller packages, and then purchased individual tools that would be most relevant to the work I do. Also plan on making a lot of my own tooling/risers for it as I go. The tooling they sell is quite expensive, especially the ball-lock bolts which are needed for a lot of the tools. I think the shipping weight was about 800 or 900 lbs total. I had seen the weight on one of the invoices or perhaps the bill of lading, but can't find it at the moment.

Definitely a big price tag, but after using it for a couple days now, I'm sure it's worth it. Definitely a huge time saver, and also allows me to do things on the table that I couldn't have done otherwise....at least not without it being a huge headache.
Plus the accuracy is top notch. Buy once, cry once. That table should last a lifetime. Very good investment in my book.
BugHunter

Spartan wrote:
BugHunter wrote:Table was about $4k, and also picked up about $1.5k in tooling for it. They sell tooling packages, so I got one of the smaller packages, and then purchased individual tools that would be most relevant to the work I do. Also plan on making a lot of my own tooling/risers for it as I go. The tooling they sell is quite expensive, especially the ball-lock bolts which are needed for a lot of the tools. I think the shipping weight was about 800 or 900 lbs total. I had seen the weight on one of the invoices or perhaps the bill of lading, but can't find it at the moment.

I have a machine shop and I'm not sure I could make that table for anything less. That was the reason for my asking, just drilling holes in that thing is a major job. All the surfaces look really nice, that costs big bucks. And then if you are saying you purchased a whole bunch of ready-made fasteners and quick clamps that are designed for the table, again every piece costs money. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'll bet they're really nice stuff.

Nice score on the table. One look at that and I can see numerous projects I've done in the past that would have been easier on that thing.
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

Spartan wrote: Definitely a big price tag, but after using it for a couple days now, I'm sure it's worth it. Definitely a huge time saver, and also allows me to do things on the table that I couldn't have done otherwise....at least not without it being a huge headache.
Considering the time that would go into making that table the price seems pretty reasonable. My table isn't nearly as fancy, but it's 1" thick and dead flat with quite a few holes and it has made a big difference in how easy it is to get things square and true. No way I could go back to a makeshift table.

Looking at yours it would be neat if they offered sections that you could drop in to fill the gaps for those times you'd rather have a smooth surface. Then again, you could probably make something that would do that as well.
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
Spartan

G-ManBart wrote:
Spartan wrote: Definitely a big price tag, but after using it for a couple days now, I'm sure it's worth it. Definitely a huge time saver, and also allows me to do things on the table that I couldn't have done otherwise....at least not without it being a huge headache.
Considering the time that would go into making that table the price seems pretty reasonable. My table isn't nearly as fancy, but it's 1" thick and dead flat with quite a few holes and it has made a big difference in how easy it is to get things square and true. No way I could go back to a makeshift table.

Looking at yours it would be neat if they offered sections that you could drop in to fill the gaps for those times you'd rather have a smooth surface. Then again, you could probably make something that would do that as well.
They do sell gap fillers, but they don't run the entire width of the table. Maybe 6-8 inches or so each, if I recall. And, of course, they are spendy :lol:

I'm definitely forming a love/hate relationship with the slots. Awesome when you need them, and a pain in the arse when you don't. But a necessary evil, at least for me.
BugHunter

Spartan wrote:They do sell gap fillers, but they don't run the entire width of the table. Maybe 6-8 inches or so each, if I recall. And, of course, they are spendy :lol:

I'm definitely forming a love/hate relationship with the slots. Awesome when you need them, and a pain in the arse when you don't. But a necessary evil, at least for me.
You're inspiring me to consider adding wings onto my table. I'm wondering how that would work out. I could drill them in the mill, then mount them to the side (s) of my table. Mine now is 4' square, 2" thick solid steel w/3" schd 40 legs. I could attach to the sides using 2 pieces of 2x8 that I have at work after drilling them and perhaps even tapping them. Might be nice for step block clamps or whatever with tapped holes.

I don't do a lot of fab work, but for the occasions I do, it might be nice to have something like that. I suppose now that I think about it, I also have an old mill bed/table with T slots that's about 6' long. A bit on the heavy side to be moving around, and I'd kill myself if it fell on me. But that might also work for a nice welding table add-on... Not sure I'd want to mess up the surface though.