General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

And to pickup big toys you need binders and chains... :lol:

4 x 3/8" Grade 70 Durabilt 20' chains, 2 x 5/16" Grade 70 Durabilt 20' chains, 8 x ratchet binders.

Scored on craigslist up in the delta...by Stockton...

Collector of old Iron!

Alan
JustTheDad
    Mon May 18, 2020 11:20 am

Great score, especially with all the equipment you've got and the fork lift.

I've got 4 of those ratchet style chain tighteners and they're are fantastic. Slower, but so much safer than the traditional kind. Maybe not more secure, just a LOT less likely to hurt you.

I still use the heavy yellow webbing style ratchets more, but I'll use chains for extra security when I trailer the tractor. To me, chains just means I'm even more sure that if I run into something at 65mph, the trailer will still be attached to the tractor when the entire mess lands.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Won't find them on CL very often.

8-)
TraditionalToolworks

JustTheDad wrote:I've got 4 of those ratchet style chain tighteners and they're are fantastic. Slower, but so much safer than the traditional kind. Maybe not more secure, just a LOT less likely to hurt you.
Actually if the vehicle being towed weighs more than 10,000 lbs. it's is required to use chains and a minimum of 1 chain with binder per corner be used.
JustTheDad wrote:I still use the heavy yellow webbing style ratchets more, but I'll use chains for extra security when I trailer the tractor.
Might actually be required, as tractors are most often over 10,000 lbs. I have never towed my forklift, *YET*.
BugHunter wrote:Won't find them on CL very often.

8-)
They do show up, but not very often in an entire set, and most people want $25-$50 per chain, the lever binders are fairly cheap, like $15-$25, but the ratchet binders are more costly...they are expensive to buy new, like $50-$60 per chain and $40-$50 per ratchet binder. I got it all for $250. I have 4 other lever binders, but no chains. The guy I bought them from had some big equipment, his house was right on the delta, and he was a retired pro fisherman...he knew more about Clear Lake than most anyone I had talked to...his garage had a lot of trophy plaques for tournament wins, a number in the $10k, $20k, $30k and more...most all were at Clear Lake for bass.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
BugHunter

I've often wondered how fishing tournaments could pay any sort of money. TV money is where it's at, but even then, I can't imagine sitting and watching fishing on TV. Kudo's to the guy for making it work to his advantage, he must know that lake inside and out.
TraditionalToolworks

BugHunter wrote:I've often wondered how fishing tournaments could pay any sort of money. TV money is where it's at, but even then, I can't imagine sitting and watching fishing on TV. Kudo's to the guy for making it work to his advantage, he must know that lake inside and out.
He gave me some good tips, and a contact at a tackle and bait shop...:D

I have long joked about watching fishing on TV, it's akin to watching paint dry...at least for me...but I told him I would probably look for a Ranger bass boat, and he mentioned he was sponsored by Ranger when he was active. So I guess that's how you make money, get sponsored and it becomes a lot more lucrative. He had a first place win for $30,000 I noticed, but he said there was a biggest fish with that (another $10k), and some other award. He had a nice ramp on the rear of his home into the delta...really nice guy.

What I call big toys...not very big to some...even comes with a couple stuffed animals! :roll:

Collector of old Iron!

Alan

TraditionalToolworks wrote: What I call big toys...not very big to some...even comes with a couple stuffed animals! :roll:

Reminded me of the Mad Max movie, G rated version :lol:
Richard
Website
TraditionalToolworks

LtBadd wrote:Reminded me of the Mad Max movie, G rated version :lol:
When you're moving 8000 lbs. of anything around it feels like the R rated version. :lol:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
TraditionalToolworks

Bad day at the yard...was trying to get the flatbed emptied, I had a gantry crane in it, so proceeded to fire the forklift up and got one of the sides unloaded, but upon the 2nd side, I backed up over a rut and heard a big thunk...seems the piston on the steering stabilizer sheered off. The wheel is lodged on the side, so the lift is not sitting on the ground, but it's not going anywhere.

Hopefully I do get the lift pic'd above so I can lift the rear up and possible get the stabilizer off. I don't know what else may have sheered or broken until I can get the rear of the lift up and get the wheel out of the way...same style lift as above, but with a taller mast (30' 2-stage).

Big toys crash hard... :oops:

I was able to get the trailer out, had just enough room I could squeeze the flatbed back there and pull it between the lift and the fence...not sure how, but I did, I left it on front of my yard so I can use it on Sat. to go pick that other forklift up, hopefully.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
BugHunter

Not fixable?
TraditionalToolworks

BugHunter wrote:Not fixable?
It certainly is, but I need to get the rear lifted up so I can get the steering hydraulic off, then I'll need to take it apart and remove the piston and make another one, probably out of 4140HT/4130/HT, will need to see what I have...but before that I need to get this other lift tomorrow. I need to have 2 lifts, 1 on each end to be able to load and unload the trailer. On the lake side I'll also need to be able to move the machines up the driveway and down into the basement.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

hey alan, I don't want to tell you how....but a longer drive will take the EEEEEEE out of steep and a bit safer. I did have an excavator take off on me due to STEEEEEEEP but didn't have any choice.
TraditionalToolworks

BillE.Dee wrote:hey alan, I don't want to tell you how....but a longer drive will take the EEEEEEE out of steep and a bit safer. I did have an excavator take off on me due to STEEEEEEEP but didn't have any choice.
Yeah, no argument there. These are really one of the better rough terrain lifts, IMO, and have a fairly long wheelbase for a lift. They're stocky/wide so have a fairly wide stance as well. I think the new lift is only 15' high, but that's ok. After I get the log shell moved I will need to hire a crane most likely to set the logs in place.

Tomorrow I have my fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly, no unforeseen snags on the new lift and an uneventful trip home. This is the first time for me to haul something so heavy.

I did ponder welding the rod back together, for about 2 seconds...that gave me a laugh...I know that wouldn't be the correct thing to do. The end was threaded and went into a small swivel joint, the thread got sheered off in the swivel joint. I'll worry about it after I get the other lift tomorrow, that's my initial concern. As my wife said, at least you didn't get hurt. ;)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
TraditionalToolworks

Worse luck than me...the fires are burning all over, this is about 20 minutes from me up by Boulder Creek.

Is a fairly old Chevy truck and 15,000 lb. crane, hydraulics are toast and looks like he lost 3 tires, one front and 2 rear on the passenger side. You can see the fire smoldering in the background.

Lots of evacuations going on, I think my area is lucky so far.

Collector of old Iron!

Alan