General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

first time trying out some 7018
and i can see why you guys like it. smooth as.
as far as appearance goes its really close to 6013.

a picked up a pack of Superon Electrode Low Hydrogen E7018-1 https://www.globalweldingsupplies.co.nz ... u=R_WEL2KG stuff looks to be made in india with technical help from germany.
i have no idea how it ranks in the world of 7018's but it seams nice for a 7018 rookie.
tweak it until it breaks
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Need pictures or it didn't happen

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

tweake wrote:first time trying out some 7018
and i can see why you guys like it. smooth as.
I like to think of 7018 as being similar to Scotch Whiskey (single malt), it's an acquired taste, and the more you use it the more you like it.

It can sure cause havoc to restart if slag is on the end, that's the acquired part. There are a couple things that can be done.

1) flick the rod to toss the end off when you stop and it's still hot, you have to do it pretty quickly, and you need to be careful nothing around will cause a fire, such as brush.

2) file the end to expose the end of the rod so it will stick an arc more easily. You can also knock the rod on cement but it usually knocks some of the flux off as well, at least for me.

I'm no 7018 pro, but like it. I don't keep mine in an oven and really don't worry about that, it welds fine for me. I haven't tried that rod you linked to but have tried a couple Lincoln 7018s, a Hobart 7018 and a Forney 7018. My favorite by far is Lincoln Excalibur. For me it's the gold standard of 7018 rod. If you get a chance to pick up some Lincoln Excalibur at a reasonable price, go for it, you won't be sorry. 8-)

I like to drag the end a tad, lift it up and back track the arc when I start. Again, no pro, just a fan. :)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan